Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
Dasadab OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
1986 Honda Elite 150

Hi,
Just bought a 1986 Honda Elite 150 with about 6,000 miles on it.

For those of you who know this scooter, I have a few questions:

1. Tires: Manual says 3.50-10-4PR. Should I try a larger tire? Roads here in Los Angeles are pretty awful. I read where someone recommended 120/70/10 ? Does this seem right?

Tire Changing: Which Tire? Do I need to remove the entire wheel assembly to change the tires. It looks like the rim is bolted on to the center hub with 3 bolts. Can I just remove the rim?

2. Rust on rims. Some surface rust. A neighbor suggested using the green Scotch Pads, priming and painting. I was thinking more like a brass brush or brass circular bristle and a power drill.

3. Should I replace wheel axle bearings. They seem to be available on ebay new and cheep. If I could find a shop manuel, maybe there is a way to just grease the old ones. I am not an experienced mechanic. More like a garage tinkerer.

4. Any general tips for rust removal and cleaning and painting. I was going to lightly sand the black exhaust pipe, prime, and paint it with High Temp Barbeque paint.

5. Center stand is missing. Should I bother to try and replace it? Can I use a motorcycle jack on the scooter without bending something?

Thanks a lot. Dean
Dasadab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:09 PM   #2
ernest t bass
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Congrats on your purchase

I've always removed the whole wheel when doing the rear tire. You would need to do that on the front regardless.

buy several exhaust gaskets, from honda, for rear wheel removal, which includes exhaust removal.

The center stand is helpfull for working on the bike. however it is the first thing to scrape when cornering.

watch out for big bumps, the stem bearing is a Bee-otch to replace.

I've never needed to replace the wheel bearings, and ive owned several honda elites.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
4SEVEN3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 996
1) You might be able to go up a little, watch your cleraces though. Yes you will have to remove the entire wheel assy to install the new tires. If you find a way to do this without removing the wheel from the bike Id like to know!

2) Get a round wire brush assy that will chuck up into a power drill and hit the entire wheel. Get nooks and crannies with a hand held wire brush. Clean really good, primer and paint. Try to use the same kind of primer and paint.

3}Check for play in the wheel, wriggle it from side to side and see if theres any play. If so replace them. Cheap wheel bearings are just that, cheap. Find a SKF or a Timkin dealer. The size of the bearing needed will be stamped in the rubber seal, providing its a sealed bearing.

4) same thing as the wheels. Apply high temp paint per instructions. In both cases pre-paint prep is key for a good lasting finish.

5) Honda is proud of their parts, espically old ones. Does it have a side stand? If so Id use it until there's a need for a centerstand. If there's nothing to hold it up then replace it, if you can still get the part.

Have fun and good luck! Dosent exist without pics!
Old 04-28-2008, 06:34 AM   #4
Dasadab OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys. This scooter is a kick. It winds up pretty good off the line! Even two up it keeps up with street traffic no problem.

It did not want to start right away when cold so I added a little Sea Foam to a tank that I topped off with premium gas. Will test it out again this morning.

Will also order new tires and valves today.

Thinking I should look for a shop manual.

Also, if available, new springs and shocks. Ride is not bad, but seems a little harsh.

Still have to figure out if I can use my Pep Boys special motorcycle jack to support scooter in order to remove tires.

Thanks again for all the help. Much appreciated. Dean.

P.S. Will try and post photos or , if possible, a FLIP VIDEO soon.
Dean
Old 04-28-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
4SEVEN3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 996
I think youll be OK supporting your scoot with that jack. I had a Honda Metro up on a milk crate for weeks waiting for parts/time to work on it.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #6
Dasadab OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks. Looking under the scooter there is not really a solid under skeleton like on my motorcycle. I was thinking that rather than use the lift, I might just pick up 4 small individual floor jacks and find hard spots underneath to place them under. Thanks again for all the replies. The CH150 is a hoot. I have a BMW 1200GS in the garage which hasn't been ridden since I got the scooter to buzz around on for local errands. Problem now is that the scooters, especially looking for good deals, can become addicting. I am keeping an eye out for scooter number 2, whetever it may be. Dean
Old 05-02-2008, 05:27 AM   #7
Prodigium
Ad Astra

Oddometer: 109
Fun 150

I have one if these and love it. Its predessor was a '95 BMW R1100GS with all the good off road stuff, 11 gallon tank, Ohlins shocks, lights, cases, etc.
-I've been thinking of other tires and looked at the scoot and saw that clearances for the rear tire are real tight. Let us know what you find about tires. I'm after larger diameter to boost mpg.
-I bought a factory service manual from repairmanual.com. It was one of those 'print on demand' services, cost about $34 and was money well spent.
-Lift. I use two milk crates with a long board
-Bearings. A lot of people don't know it but seals lift out. Slip something pointed, not too sharp, under the inner part of the seal and gently pull it out. Take out both sides, remove old grease and regrease. Using fingers and thumb firmly press the seals back in till they seat. Before you remove the front wheel, spin it to see if it spins freely. When I took my front wheel off the bearings were very tight and I was concerned they were bad. Once I bolted it back together they spun very freely. Don't think they are bad if they are stiff off the scooter.
-I took the stock air box off and replaced w/ a K&N on the carb. Sounds nice.
-Don't forget the variator. I cleaned and lubed mine and it made a nice difference. Not too much grease, though.
- This is a well thought out and great scooter. Honda did a great job; Bright turn signals, 55w/65w low/high beam, liqiud cooled, storage compartment for little stuff, excellent seat, fast enough for traffic (mine tops out at 63mph, will touch 65mph GPS confirmed), fair brakes, 65-70 mpg (I've seen as high as 80mpg).
-I'm modifying mine for max mpg, and will probably pick up some power along the way. I have three heads (two spares plus the one on the scooter). I ported and polished, matched ports and did a valve job on one. I am modifying the muffler so that its outlet is as large as the head pipe. I am in the process of moving from MI to OR, so the work is suspended till I get there. I'll keep progress posted.
Prodigium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:41 AM   #8
Bugtussle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigium
I have one if these and love it. Its predessor was a '95 BMW R1100GS with all the good off road stuff, 11 gallon tank, Ohlins shocks, lights, cases, etc.
-I've been thinking of other tires and looked at the scoot and saw that clearances for the rear tire are real tight. Let us know what you find about tires. I'm after larger diameter to boost mpg.
-I bought a factory service manual from repairmanual.com. It was one of those 'print on demand' services, cost about $34 and was money well spent.
-Lift. I use two milk crates with a long board
-Bearings. A lot of people don't know it but seals lift out. Slip something pointed, not too sharp, under the inner part of the seal and gently pull it out. Take out both sides, remove old grease and regrease. Using fingers and thumb firmly press the seals back in till they seat. Before you remove the front wheel, spin it to see if it spins freely. When I took my front wheel off the bearings were very tight and I was concerned they were bad. Once I bolted it back together they spun very freely. Don't think they are bad if they are stiff off the scooter.
-I took the stock air box off and replaced w/ a K&N on the carb. Sounds nice.
-Don't forget the variator. I cleaned and lubed mine and it made a nice difference. Not too much grease, though.
- This is a well thought out and great scooter. Honda did a great job; Bright turn signals, 55w/65w low/high beam, liqiud cooled, storage compartment for little stuff, excellent seat, fast enough for traffic (mine tops out at 63mph, will touch 65mph GPS confirmed), fair brakes, 65-70 mpg (I've seen as high as 80mpg).
-I'm modifying mine for max mpg, and will probably pick up some power along the way. I have three heads (two spares plus the one on the scooter). I ported and polished, matched ports and did a valve job on one. I am modifying the muffler so that its outlet is as large as the head pipe. I am in the process of moving from MI to OR, so the work is suspended till I get there. I'll keep progress posted.
Great story, Im also a former Beemer owner and now scooter owner. Ive owned several including F, K and airhead models. I find myself singing and yahooing in my helmet allot more on the scooter these days. Where are you moving to in Oregon? Im 44 miles south of Eugene.

2013 Vespa GTS 300ie Super
Bugtussle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #9
Prodigium
Ad Astra

Oddometer: 109
Oregon

I'm moving to Beaverton to semi-retire and substitute teach there and in Hillsboro. I may even do something crazy, like ride the Honda out there on Highway 2.
I understand your yahooing in your helmet, I do it too.
Prodigium is offline   Reply With Quote