Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2007, 05:27 AM   #1
rc51owner OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
D*mn SM wheel removal on HP2

Hey Guys,

switching my (new to me) HP2 wheels from the SM to the dirts yesterday and I encountered a problem. I could not remove the wheel due to the brake caliper not having enough clearance to clear the disc without fouling the rim. In the end I had to remove the disc. Is this the normal proceedure?

I got it all back together only to discover that the pistons on the dirt wheels did contact the entire disc. Yep the dirts have smaller disc and I don't have the hanger. So I had to take it all apart again to swap the disc. I have tried to find the torque settings for the disc to hub and the hanger to forks but couldn't locate them. Any of you helpful souls know the correct settings for these components?

advTHANKSance

Mark -%)
rc51owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:42 AM   #2
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,362
Did you get/read the manual that came with the wheels? If you don't have it let me know and I will photo copy and fax you the appropriate pages.

You need to remove the brake caliper and pads every time you switch the wheels. That's how you get the caliper past the disc. You never remove the disc.

Removing the pads is not a big thing esp since you actually get to inspect the pads, something we all probably don't do often enough.

From memory...
  • undo the two bolts holding the caliper on
  • remove the brake pad pin, at the bottom and back of the caliper. There's a little metal clip holding it in place, needle nose pliers will get it out
  • brake pads should work themselves out, catch them and ensure they are face up and not contaminated, check pads
  • remove caliper, Clean/wipe everything except wheel axle
  • inspect everything
  • remove wheel
  • keep everyone away from the bike at this time and do not let anyone touch the brake lever - you'll only do this once. for the uninitiated this will cause your brake pistons to close and ultimately is more trouble than it's worth. Have fun if you do it.
  • put in new wheel
  • line caliper up on disc
  • insert pads properly while caliper is over disc, there's only one way if you line up the pad pin hole at the back and bottom of the caliper
  • insert brake pad pin
  • tap gently on the outside of the caliper until it is fully inserted. I usually clean this pin so it slides in easier. To tap you should put something protective over the caliper to ensure you don't mark the gold trim
  • once in spin until you see the clip hole
  • insert clip
  • bolt caliper to the new set of holes. it's easy to see where it lines up
  • you do not require another mount, it's all in the same brake caliper mount but the bolt holes for the SM rims are different. Slid the caliper up or down along the mount and you will see which ones line up
  • once the brake caliper is mounted ensure that it is properly in place, bolted in, then pump until you have appropriate grab
I'm sure someone will chime in if I missed or am incorrect on anything. I will adjust my post to suit their corrections but I feel I have it down pretty well. When I say clean everything I mean clean or inspect to ensure it is working correctly. The wheel axle is greased so when removing it clean your hands before playing with the brake pads, again keep them contaminant free. Check for uneven wear, etc. Also if you zip tie the brake line above the fork slide you won't have to mess with it everytime you change rims.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.

SQD8R screwed with this post 02-19-2007 at 05:53 AM Reason: added a few more tips
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:13 AM   #3
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,307
SQD8R is correct. It's a pain in the ass. But its what you have to do. Jim
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:18 AM   #4
Too Many Toys
Adventure Poseur

Oddometer: 1,200
I don't have a HP2 but was wondering about part of the procedure. Why remove the pads from the caliper? I've changed many a front where it required removing the caliper, but I've never had to remove the pads too?

Just curious
Old 02-19-2007, 06:25 AM   #5
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

The 17 inch SM rim has a disc that's too large to pass the caliper, with pads installed, over. So you need to remove the pads in order to get the caliper installed. Honestly once you have it down it's a simple procedure and hardly any time at all. I've done wheel changes in about 20 minutes front and back.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:25 AM   #6
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Toys
I don't have a HP2 but was wondering about part of the procedure. Why remove the pads from the caliper? I've changed many a front where it required removing the caliper, but I've never had to remove the pads too?

Just curious
Removing the pads?

Curious too..
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:29 AM   #7
ilmostro
Under Da Sea

Oddometer: 29,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Removing the pads?

Curious too..

For the 3rd time...

There isn't enough clearance between the rim and rotor to sneak the caliper out with the pads in.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:35 AM   #8
rc51owner OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQD8R
Did you get/read the manual that came with the wheels? If you don't have it let me know and I will photo copy and fax you the appropriate pages.

... detailed description removed for brevity...

Hey SQD8R, no I can't say that I did get a manual with the wheels. Not sure that I need it now Thanks for the description and the offer of faxing the official guide to me - no fax machine I am afraid.

Next time I will remove the pads.

Cheers,

Mark -%)
rc51owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:50 AM   #9
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

If required PM me a mailing address and I'll toss a copy in the mail. No problem.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:57 PM   #10
Pir8te
over forty victim of fate

Oddometer: 1,448
all thumbs

I can usually get the swap done in under 30-35 miuntes
having done it a few times
Pir8te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #11
strikingviking
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
Right after I bought my HP2 three years ago, I switched from the SM wheels to the other set with the 21 front wheel. I now tried to swap wheels again back to SM and the front brake is not fitting correctly. Seems to me there was some adapter/spacer necessary for this change but I don't remember. Can somebody enlighten me as to the difference and what I need for parts if any. The only way I could get the brake back on after mounting the wheel was to remove the brake pads because the space was too tight. Now the brake pads won't fit because the caliper seems off center. Any thoughts?
strikingviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:06 PM   #12
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,594
Aren't the two sets of mount points on the fork leg? This is to accommodate the different diameter brake rotors.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:23 PM   #13
strikingviking
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
Done deal amigos. Up and running with SM wheels and new brakes pads--heading for the mountains soon.
Gracias!
strikingviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #14
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
510wner

The solution is a 19 GS front rim...... when on the road, dealers have tires and there's no monkey-motion removing the wheel ....... and it no longer looks like you're using a space-saver spare on your HP2....

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:46 PM   #15
oldfool
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
switching wheels

I just loosen the disc enough to remove the caliper tilt the disc a little and the wheel comes right off. Move to new position slide disc into caliper and I' m gone. Richard
oldfool is online now   Reply With Quote