Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2008, 08:04 PM   #61
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
It really is not that hard. Just pay attention when you remove things, take digital pics if you tent to forget, and reinstall the parts as you took them off.

Jim
You're right- most of it isn't that hard, but geez there's a lot of stuff to take off. I still have a few extra bolts from the last time I did it. I don't have a few of the big wrenches, or any deep-socket ones. I think you need a deep-socket 13mm, right?

When I did mine, I didn't replace the almost-flat-headed bolts. I still don't know how I'm going to get them off. (Heat? Ice? Heat-and-ice? Big fucking hammer? Drill them out?)

Are you saying that a BMW shop that's familiar with clutch replacement should be able to do the ceramic install? And that there aren't any special nuances that only experienced ceramic installers would know?
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:27 PM   #62
configurationspace
delooper

Oddometer: 8,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman
Are you saying that a BMW shop that's familiar with clutch replacement should be able to do the ceramic install? And that there aren't any special nuances that only experienced ceramic installers would know?
I got a BMW shop in Paris France to install my ceramic clutch. They had never done a ceramic install before. But the documentation that comes with the Touratech/Sachs clutch is enough for any experienced mechanic. The main difference between installing the ceramic clutch and the stock organic clutch is placement of the spacers.
configurationspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:37 PM   #63
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by configurationspace
I got a BMW shop in Paris France to install my ceramic clutch. They had never done a ceramic install before. But the documentation that comes with the Touratech/Sachs clutch is enough for any experienced mechanic. The main difference between installing the ceramic clutch and the stock organic clutch is placement of the spacers.
Thanks!

Yesterday I took my starter off (and lost another allen-wrench. Where do they go?) and it looks like it's not that hard to reach in, but I'll have to investigate this spacer-thing more. Do you have to remove the starter at regular intervals and do a clutch inspection?

btw, I tried taking off the starter without disconnecting the battery. It wasn't a good idea, but nothing seems broken or wrecked.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:53 PM   #64
configurationspace
delooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman
Yesterday I took my starter off (and lost another allen-wrench. Where do they go?) and it looks like it's not that hard to reach in, but I'll have to investigate this spacer-thing more. Do you have to remove the starter at regular intervals and do a clutch inspection?
Nah, you can "feel" the clutch go. The more it wears, the less "throw" it takes on the clutch lever to get it to disengage. When the clutch is almost completely gone, all you have to do is "tap" the clutch lever to get it to disengage.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:27 AM   #65
ilmostro
Under Da Sea

Oddometer: 29,251
1200's don't use spacers, only the 11xx's do.

Looks like a tranny swap is in my near future. I have 80K on my stock clutch ('06 12 Adventure) and for the money I think I'm going to stick with an organic and pass on the ceramic.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:42 AM   #66
jrodgolfer
Huge Member

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmostro
1200's don't use spacers, only the 11xx's do.

Looks like a tranny swap is in my near future. I have 80K on my stock clutch ('06 12 Adventure) and for the money I think I'm going to stick with an organic and pass on the ceramic.
Dave,

Why would you swap trannies? (insert joke here)

Do you mean just pull the transmission to replace the stock clutch? If you're going to split the bike send me a pm - I'd love to see how this thing pulls apart - I don't think I'm too far from you.

Let the Adventure's begin...
jrodgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:00 PM   #67
bonox
Tryin Hard

Oddometer: 2,933
mmmm - lower ratio 08 gearbox with lower primary ratio 06/07 engine.

must stop drooling....
Old 11-30-2008, 03:30 PM   #68
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Hello,

And you have those instructions available. Scanned. And ready to e-mail ?

Paul Jr
Old 11-30-2008, 03:48 PM   #69
configurationspace
delooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck
Hello,

And you have those instructions available. Scanned. And ready to e-mail ?

Paul Jr
They came with the clutch, in the box. Touratech also has a little on-line document on their webpage, with a little more details. At least for the 1150 replacement clutch they do. It sounds like the 1200 clutch comes with all the new documentation.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:08 PM   #70
GS THONG
Banned

Oddometer: 2,405
PSSSSSSSSSST.....................................!

A very reliable soucre tells me that Ewan and Charlies bike both had ceramic clutches. Fact.
GS THONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:31 PM   #71
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
They came with the clutch, in the box. Touratech also has a little on-line document on their webpage, with a little more details. At least for the 1150 replacement clutch they do. It sounds like the 1200 clutch comes with all the new documentation.
Thanks.

I'll try to find it ...

Paul Jr
Old 12-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #72
GSBOXERPILOT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
I put mine back together about two months ago and stuck with the organic.. cheaper and less hassle the even the dealer who could have sold me either or told me to stay with the stock one..
my 2 cents!

IBA #18900
BMWMOA # 110997

97 R1100GS
03 K1200GT
84 VF700S
76 CB-550
GSBOXERPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote