Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2010, 08:16 AM   #16
Tom Blum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Thanks a million Red Pillar.I had the wrong place in mind.

I see it now."I can see clearly now"!!!

Tom
Tom Blum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:09 AM   #17
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
You will be very happy with how it works out.
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:27 AM   #18
Tom Blum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
incidentally, I am making one change to your approach. I am only running a siphon tube to one side.

I'm not smart enough to do without a reserve.So, when the inevitable happens, I will tip the bike over and drain the other side across and then drive to the nearest gas station

Tom
Tom Blum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:51 PM   #19
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Not a bad idea. It is nice to have the warning. I just use my odometer and when it reads 330 km I know I need to find fuel pretty fast.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:43 PM   #20
AlsXZ
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinDKtm View Post

So now some explanations...first, remove petcock, 2- unscrew petcock filter #2. Now you will find a small rigid plastic tube under the filter. In the petcock you will see a small hole beside where the rigid plastic tube is insert. Thats the reserve hole. You can try to insert a line inside in it, I had to grind the line to fit it in. Or you can try to find another rigid plastic tube and insert it or cut in half the existing one...then put the line "D" +/-2" long with a 90 degree elbow with the other end in the petcock or on the other plastic tube that cut/find somewhere...I think its better not to grind the line and find cut a part of the existing one. (I will mod mine later with a second plastic line insted than inserting the line in strait in the hole, makes too mutch restriction).
Hi there!
I'm installing my new Acerbis tank and going to do that mods with fuel pump. I want to use only one fuel pipe to one tank wing as I want to have fuel reserve. Can you explain more detail how to connect fuel pipe (1/4" or 3/16") that going into tank's wing to petcock ? It's totally unclear for me. I have unscrewed petcock filter #2 and found thin rigid plastic tube and small hole (reserve hole). But what the next to connect fuel pipe (1/4") to it ?

Thank you in advance, and I'm sorry for my English, it's not my native.
AlsXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #21
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

I think you would have to have a petcock with two inlets from the tank. I discarded the stock petcock and made my own brass coupling. you can see the fuel through the tank so a reserve is not really neccessary. In Tom Blums post, he states that he was going to install one line as a syphon and one for the pump. Perhaps you could PM him to see if it worked.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #22
Drilldogger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Ok, stupid ? maybe. I'm looking at putting a larger tank on my 07 this winter. The IMS probably carries enough gas for most of my riding, but I like the idea of a little rad protection from the ACERBIS.
Is it possible to use all of the gas by tipping the bike over (I thought I read that somewhere)? The pump idea seems more complicated than I really want to get into. Without it how much unused gas is left in the tank?
The other ? is when on the just tanks site, the only pic of the acerbis is a funny shade of green, do you have to request the brighter shade of green?
Old 12-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #23
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

The tank matches color very well. I think I read you can get about 3 gallons from the tank, maybe a little more.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #24
JIPPERR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
yo! just wondering how this mod is working out for you folks. i had kinda the same idea for my XR a while back but had problems with the fuel line inside the tank reacting with the gas.

so... my question is what type of fuel line are you using in there and how is it holding up??

i'd love to be able to use all the gas in my tank, seems crazy to me that there is gas in the tank that i can't get at without tipping my bike over (which doesn't seem to work anyhow), also not drilling holes in the tank is appealing

Cheers!
JIPPERR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #25
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

I have had great success with the setup. You can see the translucent blue fuel line I used. I bought it at an auto parts store, it is not cheap. Is is still in perfect shape after a couple of years use. I can't remember the name of the product but they will know what you are looking for. It comes in yellow as well.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #26
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 324
Thanks to redpillar's instructions, I did the fuel pump and it seems to work well. I did one small modification though, I had a local shop make me this:

Tank_Plate

It can be used with or without the fuel pump, and allows me to use the stock 250S peckcock, and still have "ON" and "RES" with the Acerbis tank. With the pump, the fuel line inside the tank with the "T" is connected to the tube on the plate that sticks up (connected to "RES" on the petcock), and the other tube that is flush with the plate acts as the "ON". So when no more fuel sloshes into the pocket, I switch to reserve and then the pump takes the fuel from the lowest part of the wings. Without a fuel pump, I can put a short hose on the tube that sticks into the tank from the plate, and that is the "ON" position (length of the hose determines the amount of reserve capacity), and the side that has no tube inside the tank, is the reserve, which will flow fuel until no more sloshes from the wings into the pocket. Sounds confusing, I know, but I really wanted to keep my reserve and stock petcock . It was a little tight because there's a lot of tubing near the tank/petcock, but it does fit, and clears the choke no problem.

some mods I had to do to make it work:
- had to mount the petcock on the other side of the frame tab with some washers as spacers because the pocket on the Acerbis tank is directly behind it, and there needed to be more room to run the lines off the back of the petcock. To do this I installed the petcock bolts from the back side.

- had to enlarge the hole in the bottom of the Acerbis tank to allow for the two tubes instead of one:

Enlarged

Used some gasket material and fuel resistant gasket sealer to mount the plate to the tank:

Plate_On

Finshed job, you can see the petcock on the outside of the frame:

Installed

This is what I used to have the local shop make it, and they did a really good job:

Plans

The welding was more expensive than I was hoping, but, what the heck, it works. Acerbis really could have done something like this to save the hassle. I'd guess that more of those 3.7 gallon tanks are being sold for the 250S than were ever sold for the 300.

Anyway, big thanks to redpillar for posting the stuff for the fuel pump.
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #27
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Beautiful work. I did the same for the stock petcock. You just need that little extra room back there. Did you use the Arctic Cat pump?
Can yo tell me how long ago and where you bought the tank? They are nearly impossible to buy these days.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:39 AM   #28
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 324
Thanks, I did use the Arctic Cat pump - since you posted the part number, it was dirt-simple to get the right part, and I was really impressed with how well the pump works - that thing pulls the fuel in fast.

I bought my tank back in early July from Just Gas Tanks. I didn't get around to do the install until September/October though.
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #29
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Thanks, apparently Just Gas Tanks has been waiting for about 5 months for a shipment from Italy.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:31 PM   #30
JIPPERR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
i gotta say this looks like the perfect solution for many of the large capacity tanks out there! i guess its maybe not as big a problem on bikes other than the klx? anyhow i'm gonna give it a shot on my XR and see what i can come up with, in the meanwhile a big thanks to who ever thought of this method, i too had no idea these pumps were out there

another question for ya...does the pump need to be primed between rides or if the bike is shut off for a bit?? i got a kick-start and my leg is getting tiered just thinking about it! i suppose the carb will typically have some fuel in it to start the bike and get the pump running, but I've come into situations where it needed to be drained on the trail (float valve was stuck open)

Cheers!
JIPPERR is offline   Reply With Quote