Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
I am going to check this out as well.
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #62
JIPPERR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
best to make sure the overflow is not going to spill under your rear tire, bit of a slip/fall hazard! also will make it hard to see any gas puddles :)
JIPPERR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #63
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,457
you guys might want to look at the 640 adventure fuel pump.. intended for a single cylinder carb..
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #64
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

I checked mine out and it is just fine.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #65
JIPPERR
Adventurer

i'm blowing fuel out in higher rpms....

i'm thinking of running an unrestricted return line to the tank since the pump seems so willing to over deliver. pretty easy to test just need a T fitting and some tube
Old 03-08-2011, 10:28 PM   #66
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
you guys might want to look at the 640 adventure fuel pump.. intended for a single cylinder carb..
do you have a part number?
Old 03-08-2011, 11:42 PM   #67
JIPPERR
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
pretty sure it not that simple, the float valve in carb on that bike is paired to the output of the pump. need a solution that works for carbs that are typically gravity fed. or a new float valve.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #68
Dodger13
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I've just fitted an Acerbis tank to my KLX250 and I'm thinking about fitting a fuel pump system as detailed in these posts.

I'd be grateful for some feedback from those who have this mod as to any problems, if any, they may have encountered with this set up. My main concern is about the carburetor overflowing due to too much pump pressure, and if so, what's the solution.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Dodger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #69
jtice
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
I cant seem to find the part number now, but I used the second one that was mentioned, its the round Artic Cat fuel pump,
I also split the fuel lines int eh tank like mentioned here, running down into each "wing" of the tank.
Used a clear walled little fuel filter from Ace Hardware.
I have had ZERO problems with this setup. I am VERY happy with it all.
I can smell gas alittle after the bike has sat a while, but I think thats just typical for the carb, not this setup, I notice nothing dripping during rides.
jtice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #70
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger13 View Post

I'd be grateful for some feedback from those who have this mod as to any problems, if any, they may have encountered with this set up. My main concern is about the carburetor overflowing due to too much pump pressure, and if so, what's the solution.

Cheers
I ultimately discovered, that on my 2007, all my fuel overflow issues do not appear to have been related to the fuel pump, but rather from the float level that was set way too high from the factory. Now adjusted properly, I am not having any fuel overflow, even in slow, rocky terrain. (I verify this by using a catch tank, originally intended for battery acid overflow, to monitor when fuel comes out of the overflow.) While searching for a solution thinking the overflow issue was with the fuel pump pressure, I added a relatively large fuel filter in the vacuum line between the fuel pump and carburetor. This, in theory, should be similar to adding length to the vacuum line, which would reduce the vacuum pressure to the pump. But after all, I don't think it's even necessary with the float level set properly. So, bottom line, the pump setup will work great if everything is set up properly. You can see my setup on page 2 of this thread.

The catch tank to monitor overflow:

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #71
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

I put a temporary container on the overflow to the carb just to see if there was an issue. after a good long ride I found a couple of drops of fuel in the container. As mentioned above, it is probably from an improperly set float level, not worth worrying about. I have about 15000 KM with the pump and have had no issues.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:06 PM   #72
Dodger13
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thumb

Thank you for the prompt feedback everyone - much appreciated.

Time to go shopping for the fuel pump etc.!

Cheers
Dodger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #73
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,123
.. before this thread disappears ..

.. great read .. ran across this (somehow) and spent a large chuck of the day researching the information ..

.. I did find out it's a good thing to search out the parts .. pumps from about $20.00 up to about $40.00 (yikes) .. same for that pressure regulator, large price range depending on the source ..

.. also found this about pulse pumps and the mounting information might bear relevance for this application as well ..
http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5020282...ump-works.html

.. I am wondering if anyone has tried this on a KLR yet?? .. I know of one report of a rider using a single tube down one side of the tank (stock KLR, right side) with no pump at all .. different carb and a different fuel delivery system, unless you swap out the stock KLR petcock for a gravity-only one ..

.. I am wondering how the venting/vacuum "issues" with KLR stock tanks will affect the use of this, and if it's even really needed (though the KLR650 does provide a ready vacuum source) ..

.. anyone tried it on a KLR yet?? .. any answers?? .. comments?? .. update from the guys doing this??
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #74
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,663
I just found this thread and to answer the KLR question. I haven't done it, but in theory it should work well. The pre-08 IMS tanks have a stupid design that allows probably about 1/2 gallon of fuel to remain after running dry on a standard set up.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #75
JIPPERR
Adventurer

in the end i have set my bike up very similar to this, but without a pump. The majority of the gas in my tank is above the float bowl in the carb so gravity does the trick. I do slightly worry about fuel flow slowing down as i get to the end of the tank, but it hasn't been a problem so far as i can tell anyhow.

If i had some more time to monkey around with it i might try putting the pump inside the fuel tank and having it transfer fuel to the petcock side of the tank. This ensures that fuel would be available and avoids any issues where the pump is to strong for the float valve in the carb.

JP

More detail of my setup for the xr650r is here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=9307