User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
rhino_343 OP
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 2,129
Drying wet leather boots??? Advice please

Had a very wet ride yesterday and must of poured a liter of water out of each boot! They are Oxtar Infinities, leather outer and gortex inner. I left them hanging upside down last night and have stuffed with newspaper this morning, but does anyone have a better way to dry them out especially the leather? Also do I need to treat the leather after they dry out?? They have been wet before no probs but this time they were soaked
Tenere XT600 34L 1983 classic
rhino_343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:42 PM   #2
Drifter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,777
Don't use direct heat like a hair dryer or space heater. Let them air dry. When they're dry, you can use the stuff they sell for leather boots at REI that conditions the leather and provides some water resistance. I can't remember the name of the stuff -- but any good leather boot retailer should have some. It's like a leather cream or balm something . . . . .
Old 04-27-2008, 11:44 PM   #3
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
How did you get so much water in them? Do you tuck your pants into them?

I've got Infinities and while I realize waterproofing has it's limits I guess I hope not to find them

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:44 AM   #4
rhino_343 OP
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero
How did you get so much water in them? Do you tuck your pants into them?

I've got Infinities and while I realize waterproofing has it's limits I guess I hope not to find them
Yeah MX pants tucked into them and very heavy rain and deep puddles... they just filled up, it was kinda comic really all the squeching sounds and the little spurts out the top of the boot as I walked
I love these boots though so I hope they recover, I am going with the newspaper inside and left in a shady breezeway. Once dry enough I will grab some leather balm from the rural supplies, apparently horse saddle balm is good stuff!
Tenere XT600 34L 1983 classic
rhino_343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:53 AM   #5
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Newspaper works for me, but you have to keep replacing it as it absorbs the moisture. It's amazing how well it works.

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:06 AM   #6
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,555
Buy a boot dryer...they are about $40 here in the states...Peet is the brand I believe...I've had mine for years...I think they even have a new style that does a pair of boots and gloves at the same time.

Good luck mate

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:13 AM   #7
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,582
I air-dry boots away from sun and away from the stove. You may want to change newspapers occasionally. I don't use newspapers when drying boots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_343
Also do I need to treat the leather after they dry out??
The tag with my Oxtars said to treat with a "neutral leather dressing" whatever that means. I THINK it means something like Lexol that is NOT a water-proofer like Sno Seal.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:14 AM   #8
OldBMWMaster
Banned

Oddometer: 4,185
Hide food

Leather is alive. The cow is dead, but the hide still lives. It needs to be "fed".

I have used this for over 40 years.

http://www.autogeek.net/conhid.html

It is called "Hide Food" and works very well.
OldBMWMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:00 AM   #9
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING EYEBALL
Buy a boot dryer...they are about $40 here in the states...Peet is the brand I believe...I've had mine for years...I think they even have a new style that does a pair of boots and gloves at the same time.

Good luck mate
+1 on the Peet dryer. I picked up one at Bass Pro shop a couple of years ago. Got caught in a frog strangler without my rain gear (took my gear bag out of the luggage and forgot to put it back in). I put my boots (IXS lace ups) and gloves on the dryer and by morning they were nice and dry. It took a couple of days to get the black stains off my hands but that's another story.

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:05 PM   #10
JoMoThumper
Los Bombero Caliente

Oddometer: 260
Wet Leather is Not Good

I sell boots for a living. As others have said allow them to air dry. After they are dry if it is a smooth leather you can use mink oil. It costs about $3 for a tub of it. It will darken leather but if the boots are black (like most bike boots) then that is not a concern. There are many brands of mink oil, just rub it on with you fingers and that's it. Maybe wipr off the excess with a rag after a while to let it soak in well. The mink oil will protect the leather and help it soften up if it gets stiff from the water. There are also many different kinds of boot creams out there but you don't need to buy some fancy brand name stuff that is $10 a bottle or more. I wouldn't advise mink oil for a sueded finish, for that use apache cream or a lighter weight leather conditioner.

"That one doesn't look like it would break down so much Daddy."
My 5 year old son every time he sees someone else's bike

Ride Safe, Ride Well, Ride Long and remember...
Everyone Goes Home.

JoMoThumper
aka reeveo
JoMoThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:17 PM   #11
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 4,039
Everyone should have a Peet Shoe Dryer. Made just up the road in St Maries Idaho.

I have an early one. It's been working for about 30 years. In winter I just leave it on 24 hrs a day. Come home, take off shoes, put them on the Peet. In the morning, nice warm dry shoes.

If my boots are very wet I put the Peet on top of a furnace vent. When the furnace kicks on a burst of warm air circulates thru shoes and they dry a bit faster.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #12
LiveFast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
newspaper is good and completely air dry is good too when you have the time.....but in a pinch over a heater vent (ok) but next to a fire place (w the fire in it) works better and has saved my ass many a time for not only boots but cletes and shoes that you gotta wear the next morning and you want them pretty dry

07 KLR 650
(Red is the fastest color)

Anything that has wheels, an engine, or can go fast....I'm there....
LiveFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:21 PM   #13
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogwai
YOu cold also fill them up with CLEAN cat litter. Absorbs a lot of water.

Next day, pour it into a pan, let it dry out and it's ready to reuse. Also helps with boot odors.

I've managed to fill up my Sidi Discovery with muddy water a while ago. I flushed them best as I could with a hose and then dried them out.

What concerns me is the slightly musty smell that's left in them. I suppose the waterproof liner is counter productive in situations like this. What's a good way to get rid of the smell?
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:01 PM   #14
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli
I've managed to fill up my Sidi Discovery with muddy water a while ago. I flushed them best as I could with a hose and then dried them out.

What concerns me is the slightly musty smell that's left in them. I suppose the waterproof liner is counter productive in situations like this. What's a good way to get rid of the smell?
Febreeze works good on boots, helmets....etc for the funk....I'll even throw a vanillaroma or two in the saddlebags when they start to smell a lil on the assey side

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:49 AM   #15
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,460
I have a trick from my playing days. Stuff them with newspaper and change it every few hours. The paper soaks up the water from the inside. 2-3x and they will be dry by morning.

2'nd the mink oil. Use your fingers to get a feel for your boots.