User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2008, 10:09 PM   #151
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

Oddometer: 1,228
Super Cool 3D 3rd Eye, High Viz, Glasses

Hey, where do we get those super cool 3D, 3rd Eye, Hi-Viz glasses? We could have used a pair this afternoon as we approached Tok.

Headed for the cloud deck...

Nearly in...

Getting murky...

Where'd who go???

So, where do we get a couple of pair? Huh?
2touringtheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:52 PM   #152
HackyMoto
TEAMUSAGSTROPHY2012

Oddometer: 1,063
super cool 3D, 3rd Eye, Hi-Viz glasses

Hi you 2, my super cool 3D, 3rd Eye, Hi-viz glasses are pretty much unatainium? There a promo from the show Medium .
Ace. To the White Curtesy Phone please!

Ex. report! Keep it coming!

Sponsor
alaskaleather.com

Join Smugmug save 5 bucks coupon(uADB4GsV1gfKM)
HackyMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:50 PM   #153
Frostbit
Is it cold in here?

Oddometer: 1,043
Most excellent ride report...

Really enjoyed getting to know you two and looking forward to seeing you again. Here's the pic from midnight in Dawson.

I made it from Dawson to Eagle River in 20 hours. The ride through the Denali Hwy was beyond spectacular and is now my benchmark for measuring all future rides. See ya soon and ride safe.

Check out WWW.RideDualSport.com forum.
Frostbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:54 AM   #154
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer: 1,065
Thats a great shot of Mike and Kim in Dawson... I also loved the shots of various town buildings in their ride report..

Pat in NH
RockyNH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:12 PM   #155
White Knuckles
Insufficient memory

Oddometer: 4,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2touringtheworld
(rant)
I feel your pain. I have a small motor home and I get a bunch of the magazines. The RV magazines lecture about this all the time but a few MoHo owners were brain dead before buy their MoHo and haven't improved any. I read about an accident (although I would call it a deliberate) where a guy came down from a peak in Olympia Natl. Park in high gear, burned out his brakes and crashed at the bottom, killing himself and his family. I hope your trip continues to be safe and fun. I know I'm enjoying it.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:55 PM   #156
Old_Lion
Crotchety Biker

Oddometer: 2,963
The midnight picture in Dawson

Did you ever see a picture in which people looked as happy?
If they decided to move to Alaska I would not be surprised.

George

Plug and Plug.
Old_Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:21 PM   #157
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Lion
Did you ever see a picture in which people looked as happy?
If they decided to move to Alaska I would not be surprised.

George
Could not agree more... That is so Happy that... Never mind! :)

Pat in NH
Old 06-26-2008, 05:52 PM   #158
Putts
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,326
Still watching with rapt attention.

You guys make a terribly cute couple!

Mike, you look terrible, and Kim, you're cute as a button.

But the two of you can whip up one HECK of a ride report.

Just outstanding.

Oh, and Mike, I came through Yellowstone Park earlier this week with my 11 year old daughter riding pillion with me, and got a different flavor of crap from the same tourista RV driving school you got. Rant on baby, those guys need to hear it.

I'll be enjoying as best I can from afar.

Ride safe.

Tyll
Old 06-28-2008, 12:23 AM   #159
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

Mechanical Gremlins and Sabotage??????

We had a long ride to McCarthy for Tuesday the 24th of June and we needed an early start. So we set the alarm for 06:00 and actually got up on time. A quick check out the window found dark and dreary conditions with mist and rain. So what? Rain is part of the adventure right? Unfortunately, rain was about to be the least of the morning's worries.

Monday night I had noticed that my left pannier mount seemed a little loose because the mounting bolt was loose. I figured I would tighten up the pannier bolt and check all of the remainder of my hardware as well as all of Kim's in the AM.

However, when I got to it in the morning, I noticed that not only was the pannier bolt loose, but actually bent and broken. On closer inspection, the worst part of it was that there should have been about 1/4 inch of threaded end of the bolt still attached. I wonder where that is....?

Having determined that there indeed had been a bolt disaster, I needed to get a better look through the bracket into the bolt hole to see where the rest of the bolt may be residing. Somewhere in the Canadian Yukon, hanging out with the Mounties, or residing snugly in the bracket hole waiting for some unknown stud extractor to come by and drill her.

So time to drop the left pannier and see what we could see. Just what did find? Not what I was looking for. What I found was that my lovely spring mounted side stand had lovingly punched a hole through the bottom of my new pannier. NICE!

Jeez, now I've got a broken bolt and a drilled pannier. What does the pannier bracket look like without the pannier on it... Damn!

So ultimately, I get a gander through the bolt hole, and surer than heck, my bolt didn't desert me, it's still in the bracket. So although I have spare bolts (and you guys thought I wasn't prepared) they weren't of any help.

We made a phone call to the front desk and were able to find a ATV shop 1 street down the road. Both he and I worked on the bike for about 2 hours taking off all the pannier bracketry, drilling out the bolt and extracting it, putting on some new hardware lubing the chain and finally getting back on the road to the hotel 1 STREET OVER.

2touringtheworld screwed with this post 06-28-2008 at 12:45 AM
Old 06-28-2008, 12:56 AM   #160
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

Sabotage?

Well the bike is all repaired and I ride back to the room. The hotel had been loaded with Harley types and other folks as well. There were no vacancies. Let's just say it was not the highest class place we had ever stayed at. You can see from the pic what it was like.

Anyway, we loaded up the bikes and headed off out of the parking lot in the rain. I immediately knew that my bike felt wrong. I stopped at the end of the parking lot and lo and behold, I had a rear tire flat. (If I wasn't so ticked off I would have taken a pic).The tire was hard and perfect when I left the ATV shop and when I pulled into the hotel parking lot.

We made a quick jaunt to the ATV shop to see if he had a bead breaker or extra tubes (I did have tube repair kits just in case). But what we did find was that the rear tire valve stem cap was missing and the valve core was almost out.

All three other valve stems were fine; tight caps and cores, so it seems unlikely that I had a single problem with one tire without some outside help. But whatever, just another part of the adventure. Ultimately, we screw in the valve core, add air, put on a new cap and we are ready to go!
Old 06-28-2008, 01:08 AM   #161
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

The Road to McCarthy and the Kennicott Glacier Lodge

We're a few hours late but we are ready to go. We've read a lot about McCarthy and the Kennicott Mine so we are psyched to be rolling.

This is to be a 250 mile jaunt with only a snack/fuel stop with the last 60 miles on a gravel road that was formerly the railroad bed to the mine.

Our snack/fuel stop was at the formidable grocery chain Stop and Shop that is well known in New England and has apparently branched out to the west coast...

Some fuel, a banana and a Coke later and we are back on the road. The good news is that although we have had to dodge some rain showers, the weather has started to clear up.

The pavement riding is beautiful, but once we get off the pavement and onto the McCarthy Road which is gravel, it is really wonderful...

As we made our way closer towards McCarthy, more evidence of the railway and McCarthy and Kennicott's mining heritage was evident. Here we found the abandoned trestle for the train that carried copper ore from one of the several Kennicott mines.

Well folks, it's almost 12:30 AM and I'm going to call it a night. I'll post more tomorrow and I'm sure it's going to knock your socks off. It will have flightseeing pics over several glaciers, walking on the Root Glacier (with some really cool stuff) and the Kennicott mine which was also really spectacular.

Until tomorrow!

Mike and Kim

2touringtheworld screwed with this post 06-28-2008 at 01:23 AM
Old 06-28-2008, 01:44 AM   #162
Bazzam
Vstroming around

Oddometer: 37
Thumb Week after mid-winter greetings.

Great fun reading this mid-summer ride report from the cold / wet winter down here. Great to see wonderful photos and excellent report. Glad you are enjoying the scenery so much. Please keep up my winter nights reading, I'm enjoying it! Cheers.
P.S. - I've just read the 2007 thread, great reading and viewing also. Cheers X 2.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:06 AM   #163
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

Whats an adventure without a few trials and tribs! You all worked through it and again had glorious scenery as a reward!

Pat in NH
Old 06-28-2008, 11:17 AM   #164
2touringtheworld OP
World shrinkers

And now a few words to our friends...

Putts...

You are so right Kim is cute as a button. It's a good thing for me that Kim and I met on a blind date. It's really a shame for her that she got her vision back AFTER we were married though!

White Knuckles...

Don't worry, I'm much calmer now. Keep that 11 yo daughter safe and enjoy riding where you are.

George...

How did you know we might move?

Bazzam...

Thanks, we're glad you are enjoying the thread through your winter. Someday we hope to make down to your part of the world. What we have seen on ADV or heard through friends has been spectacular! If you get up our way, you know who to call.

Pat...

You are right. It was just part of the adventure. No long lasting harm done.

HackyMoto...

No worries on the glasses. We were just joking. But you guys sure cut a cool rug in them.

Yogi82...

You are welcome to stop at our place if you make it our way. We are on the tent list thread. We do love your state though.

If I left out anyone. Thanks for commenting and traveling with us!

Mike and Kim

2touringtheworld screwed with this post 06-28-2008 at 11:48 AM
Old 06-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #165
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,356