User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,357
The Gorgeous Gorge

With a weekend trip planned for Portland, OR I left work a couple hours early Friday, packed my bike and was headed out. The weather was nice and I was looking forward to this weekend ride. For a few years I would go to Portland 2-3 times a month during riding season and ride with friends but it had been some time since Id been there. This was going to be a road ride because I was riding a bike that is more suited for asphalt than off road and for this ride that was fine. I didn't care I was just happy to be out riding.

I crossed the Columbia River at Umatilla, OR and rode the South side of the Columbia on I-84. I would be riding the Columbia Gorge to and from Portland on this trip.

The interstate follows the Columbia River and the eastern Oregon part of the ride travels through desert terrain but the river is always pretty to see.

Across the river I could see the windmills turning slowly. The wind usually whips through the gorge which the wind surfers love but this day it was amazingly calm which I liked.

Doing the point a push picture taking from the bike while on the fly at times misses things and this picture was missing one main thing. Mt. Hood was peeking out from between these rocks but the exposures the camera chose washed it right into the haze in the sky. Dang, but I still like how the road goes through the rocks. Geez, my windshield needed to be cleaned

The river was amazingly calm. I dont know if I have ever seen it this calm.

Mt. Hood almost shows up in this picture. I really need to stop to take pictures like this and actually focus on what I want to show up. Heck, even with the mountain faded check out those blue skies, I was headed to the wet side and there was no sign of rain.

The water was really pouring out of the dam and flowing rapidly under the Bridge of the Gods.

I might be riding an interstate but these views were mighty pretty.

Now riding in the west part of Oregon the desert terrain was long behind me and there was no sign of the wet stuff.

I cant seem to travel this road without a stop at Multanomah Falls

OK, that pretty much is the boring part of my ride. The next day I met KLR DRZ and Alinbeaverton in Scappoose, OR to do some riding.

More to come . . . . . . .
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
deej
Deej (Deric)

Oddometer: 505
Thanks for sharing. We got a pretty cool place here in the great northwest. I would not trade it for anything. Great shots you got there, why was the bridge up?
deej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:40 PM   #3
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,406
Nice pics,but why ride the slab when you have Hwy 14 on the Washington side?

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:50 PM   #4
RECON
Guit Sum

Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR356
Nice pics,but why ride the slab when you have Hwy 14 on the Washington side?

JR356
That's funny, I was thinking the same thing while reading! I always bump across and take the 14 into Portland.

Great pictures, thanks for sharing!!!

used to's: '08 Kawasaki KLR650, '97 Honda ST1100, '03 Honda XR650R, '04 KTM 950 Adventure, '04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, '03 Kawasaki Meanstreak, 19?? Yamaha XT600, 19?? Kawasaki GPZ550, 19?? Honda Twinstar200

IBA# 39329
RECON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:55 PM   #5
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,341
Thanks for bringing back memories of this awesome river scenery from my Summer of 02 trip. I was kinda following the Lewis/Clark trail to the coast before heading up to Cascade Park. Really neat scenery.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:48 AM   #6
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

To answer the question about the bridge. I don't know, there wasn't any ships traveling anywhere near it. Maybe they forgot to lower it after the last ship went under

About I-84 instead of Hwy 14. I did I-84 after work Friday and was a little pushed for time to get in before dark. I saved 14 for Sunday when I had more time to really enjoy it, that part of the ride report is still to come.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:40 AM   #7
nwgs
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,362

The List
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:46 AM   #8
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,045
Which bike did you ride LadyBug?

Doh! It's in the pics.
joenuclear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:47 AM   #9
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,163
Beautiful area

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:55 AM   #10
fallzboater
Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

Oddometer: 507
That train lift bridge is almost always up; there is much more barge traffic under it than train traffic over it.

You were lucky to have such a glassy day. I commute from Hood River to Rufus (mostly in a vanpool), and the headwinds coming home (west) can be brutal. Takes a lot of the fun out of it sometimes. Worthwhile diversions are getting off I-84 at The Dalles or Rowena (famous curves) and riding to Mosier, or taking Hwy 14 and doing an up-and-back from just west of Lyle up Canyon Rd. towards Appleton (turn around when it straightens out).
DoD #1360

'94 Cagiva e900 Elefant
'01 Aprilia Fuono
'94 Miata CSP
fallzboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:08 PM   #11
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallzboater
That train lift bridge is almost always up; there is much more barge traffic under it than train traffic over it.

You were lucky to have such a glassy day. I commute from Hood River to Rufus (mostly in a vanpool), and the headwinds coming home (west) can be brutal. Takes a lot of the fun out of it sometimes. Worthwhile diversions are getting off I-84 at The Dalles or Rowena (famous curves) and riding to Mosier, or taking Hwy 14 and doing an up-and-back from just west of Lyle up Canyon Rd. towards Appleton (turn around when it straightens out).
I know what you are saying about the winds through there, it can be brutal. It was a fantasic weekend in the gorge, exceptional in fact.

I guess I'll just have to return and do the side trips you mentioned, any excuse for a ride is a good excuse and that one is easily done as a weekend ride from Spokane.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:11 PM   #12
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgs
Hey, I remember you If I don't see you before I'll see you in Sept. I hope one of the rides from the PNWet Fest will take us to Astoria (hint, hint, hint) See the following for why I want to go to Astoria. It's Allan's fault.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:19 PM   #13
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Saturday scenic ride with friends

I got up and headed through Portland and on to Scappoose, I’m not wild about riding in cities and avoid it if at all possible but I knew the reward for doing it would be the ride west of Portland and which would be worth it. I gritted my teeth and got through only making one wrong turn but my GPS rapidly got me headed in the right direction again.

KLR DRZ and lovely Diana, she was test sitting my motorcycle and it passed her approval. She recently got a XT225 Serow and will soon be joining in on all the fun but for this ride she wouldn’t be coming along. It was a pleasure meeting the lady Travis speaks so highly of.

After having a late breakfast we headed out on some very nice roads and riding roads like these I had to pay attention and not screw around with taking pictures while I was riding. I figured if I dogged it to much Travis would leave me behind and Allan would think he was back in Baja see me as just another tope, stand up on his pegs, just ride over the top of me and not look back.

We stopped for a short break and checked out this building and the park/campground it’s in.

The furniture in the building was pretty cool.

Back on the road again the moss on the trees reminded me this area has it’s share of rain which makes things so pretty and green. With the blue sky as a background this day it was an exceptionally pretty nice.

A cute little white church along the route.

Then Travis led us down a little dirt road that didn’t have any signs indicating where it went. I didn’t care where it went I was just following and I was surprised to see this when we got to the end of the road.

Allan then took the lead and we went to the Astoria Column. For some reason I didn’t get a picture of the column, maybe Travis or Allan did and will post it. I did get a picture of the view from the hill though.

And of course I needed a picture of the bikes

After we check out the column and the views Allan came up with the best idea of the entire ride. He asked if we wanted to go have frozen custard. Silly question of course I wanted to. He led us to an old style ice cream stand type building on the main road going through Astoria. There’s no inside seating but there was a couple metal tables and chairs outside. That frozen custard was a little slice of heaven, a nirvana pocket……… Sheesh now any time I get within 50 miles or so of Astoria I’ll be going there. That wasn’t a nice thing to do to me.

Of course we needed to cross the Astoria Bridge, at four miles long, crossing the mouth of the Columbia River, it’s one of the longer bridges of this type. This isn’t a bridge for anyone that’s afraid of heights but it’s fun for those who aren’t.

On the Washington side of the Columbia we then rode east along the river.

At Cathlamet, WA we rode over this bridge to get to a ferry. Geez, if I’m going to take pictures through my windshield I should wash it.

We arrived at the ferry dock just as the ferry did. We boarded the little open deck ferry, chit chatted with a few other riders. The ferry ride is short but I enjoyed it and was so busy looking around and chatting I forgot to take any more pictures.

Back on the Oregon side of the river we rode hwy 30 back to Scappoose and then out to dinner at a good Mexican restaurant. The three of us were just in Baja last month with about 20 other people and you’d think we would have had our fill of Mexican food by now but apparently we haven’t. Come to think of it I think every time I’ve been with these two we’ve gone out for Mexican food.

We then said our goodbyes and went our own directions.

Thanks Travis and Allan for using your Saturday to slow down a bit and take me out on a site seeing road ride.

More to come with my ride home on the Washington side of the gorge………..

Ladybug0048 screwed with this post 04-20-2008 at 02:55 PM
Old 04-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #14
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,241
Gorgeous gorge indeed, great ride..

Old 04-20-2008, 02:51 PM   #15
Live2Ride
Not Famous

Oddometer: 3,800
Glad to see the weather was nice for you. It is snowing in Rockford right now and we are suppose to get 4 inches. That will make this the worst winter on record