User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
SR1 OP
In Western NC

Oddometer: 4,336
Best 1200GS tank bag?

Yes, I know there's an old thread, but I wonder if there are any new products out there? I just need a small one, with a map pocket. The quick detach style might be best, I'm not sure how the strap systems work with the GS tank. Thanks for whatever advice you guys have.
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:53 PM   #2
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,709
Marsee made a pretty small bag with a map pocket. I think the Chicane (out of business ) is the best on the R1200GS, unless you fit a Wolfman explorer on there but thats not small at all.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:11 PM   #3
Borracho
EDDIE WOULD GO

Oddometer: 1,351
I love my Touratech Day Trip tankbag:

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/sh...0FB6TTG1796689

Low profile, has a map sleeve, perfect for phone, iPod, pair of gloves, sunglasses, etc...nothing fancy yet they charge you up the butt for it

Here's a flick, pay no attention to that yahoo in the background

Old 04-30-2008, 08:14 PM   #4
Hooksta
Hook

Oddometer: 1,944
My biased and well researched position is the GS powered tank bag from Bags Connection for best bag available (looks, size, function). I said "biased."

See here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...c+installation

This same setup can be used with the SW Motech day bag (I also have it electrified). Just take the big one off and put the small one on - powered and ready to go.
Hooksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:09 AM   #5
michnus
Vagabond, yes I try!

Oddometer: 1,095
Nothing better than bags connection, it's the easiest to use of all the bags and it is excellent quality.

http://www.bags-connection.com/ql_tankrucksaecke/
michnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:08 AM   #6
SR1 OP
In Western NC

Well, the Touratech one is really good looking for my needs, but I am going to go with the Bags Connection Day Pack II or whatever. I like the idea of not using straps this time around. It's small and I can add an optional map pocket. We'll see how it goes.
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
Old 05-01-2008, 04:34 AM   #7
michnus
Vagabond, yes I try!

Oddometer: 1,095
It's big enough to carry a tortoise

michnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:17 AM   #8
Paul Mihalka
Old Fart

Oddometer: 877
Bag-connection and Marsee Corona bags that use the screws of the gas cap for the mount will not work on the 2008 R1200GS. The caps are now flush mounted and to get to the bolts you have to open the gas cap.
Paul Mihalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:58 AM   #9
RoadRashed
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 156
I use a Tour Master Super Mini tank bag:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-Tank-Bag.aspx

Itís pretty inexpensive ($40-$60) and small. It is enough to hold gloves, sunglasses, small flash light, and a kickstand plate etc. There is also a removable map case. It also has an audio pass through which worked well for power to a cell phone charger I keep in there, and I tuck the audio cable for the helmet in there when I am not using it.

I have the strap version. The front is under the triple clamp, and the back is a loop attached to the thing that holds the owners manual below the seat. I only have to unclip one of the two clips on the front and slide it to the side to fuel up. Sorry I donít have any pictures. Feel free to send me a PM if you would like to see some photos.

I really like the GS and TT ones, but just didnít want to spend the $$ yet, since I really donít like tank bags, but they are really convenient. I used the same bag on the rear of my GT. It could be a wee bit bigger, it seems hard to find a good midsize bag.

RR

'07 R1200 GS Adventure
'03 K1200 GT (Sold)
'95 CBR 900 RR (Stolen)
'95 CBR 600 F3 (Destroyed)
RoadRashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:00 AM   #10
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRashed
I use a Tour Master Super Mini tank bag:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-Tank-Bag.aspx

Itís pretty inexpensive ($40-$60) and small. It is enough to hold gloves, sunglasses, small flash light, and a kickstand plate etc. There is also a removable map case. It also has an audio pass through which worked well for power to a cell phone charger I keep in there, and I tuck the audio cable for the helmet in there when I am not using it.

I have the strap version. The front is under the triple clamp, and the back is a loop attached to the thing that holds the owners manual below the seat. I only have to unclip one of the two clips on the front and slide it to the side to fuel up. Sorry I donít have any pictures. Feel free to send me a PM if you would like to see some photos.

I really like the GS and TT ones, but just didnít want to spend the $$ yet, since I really donít like tank bags, but they are really convenient. I used the same bag on the rear of my GT. It could be a wee bit bigger, it seems hard to find a good midsize bag.

RR
Maybe you should have gotten the Mini instead of the super-mini.

I have the super-mini and really like it!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:09 AM   #11
Hooksta
Hook

Oddometer: 1,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mihalka
Bag-connection and Marsee Corona bags that use the screws of the gas cap for the mount will not work on the 2008 R1200GS. The caps are now flush mounted and to get to the bolts you have to open the gas cap.
Well that is one way for BMW to encourage new GS owners to buy there bags...by forcing you to use straps or adhesive to secure your bag now. I'll count that move as another NON-improvement on the 2008 GS. The 2007 model looks better and better all the time.
Hooksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:18 AM   #12
RoadRashed
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 156
Maybe I should have worded that differently. Super Mini works great for me, perhaps having a larger one for longer camping trips would be nice, but the super mini has worked great so far on many trips and around town.

When I was looking for one, it seemed hard to find the right size. Many of them were just too big or too expensive for my taste (a tank bag should not cost $300 IMO), and it didn't look like they would sit on the GS tank (plastic cover ) well. Also, it was hard to find a strap bag, most of the ones local were magneticÖ

The Super Mini was the best one for me with a reasonalbe price, however I would have liked to seen some of the TT ones up close since they look very nice, but quite a bit more in priceÖ.I think I could replace my super mini several times for what they cost

RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Maybe you should have gotten the Mini instead of the super-mini.

I have the super-mini and really like it!

Jim

'07 R1200 GS Adventure
'03 K1200 GT (Sold)
'95 CBR 900 RR (Stolen)
'95 CBR 600 F3 (Destroyed)
RoadRashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:40 AM   #13
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,240
Steve, I had many tank bags on that bike and the best I came up with was the smaller cortech bags.

Had thoughts of installing magnetts under the plastic so I could use a magnetic bag but never got around to it.

IMHO the chicane bag and BMW bag were way too big.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:57 AM   #14
SR1 OP
In Western NC

JVB, how are you attaching your Super Mini? Do you have it on a tankring and a plate or something else?

I'm liking the looks of the Super Mini, it is about the right size. How is fuelling access?

Brian, I agree, a small tank bag is best for this bike. My Sprint has plenty of real estate on the top of the tank for a big bag, but the GS needs a small one up there. If I need a little more space without putting the Micatechs on, I'll just have a small tailbag on the pillion seat, or the Givi trunk at most.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #15
Black_Corsair
GS user

Oddometer: 14
I've sold almost immediatly the Touratech and bought two different Famsa bags almost at the same price. Much better. www.famsa.it or ebay