ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2008, 08:08 PM   #226
dyvking OP
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by idea man
Looking forward to the rest of the pics.
OK.. here are some more from Sunday:
I had work to do to get the RT ready for my run up to the Chief Joseph Rally in Oregon on Tuesday, so I left the crew gassing up after breakfast at Pappy's.

I figured it would take them 2.5 hours to get into Colson Canyon, and I rode out to meet them.
Riding out Tepusquet Canyon, it was clear that the weather was NOT going to suck:

Tepusquet is one of the great asphalt rides in our area. It narrows down considerably just before Colson Canyon:

I was wrong about my timing. I picked a spot about 3 miles up Colson Canyon thinking the guys would be coming out any minute. I waited nearly an hour teetering back and forth as to whether I should ride on in to meet them, or just wait. I was wanting to get some decent pix of the guys riding through the canyon.
At first I thought they had just plain hauled ass and I missed them, but then a couple of guys on quads came down:

I wouldn't have bothered to mention this, but it turns out the quad drivers were part of the family that runs Jocko's !! So, we had quite a little conversation regarding the previous night's events. I asked if they had seen a group of slightly hung-over dual-sporters and they said "yeah.. they were all stopped and it looked like they were working on one of the bikes".

Ok.. so that's what's taking so long. "probably one of the KTM's I supposed".

Well.. again I was wrong. It was one of the Beemers. Dave Dennis's new aquisition had an issue that required a little field voodoo, but other than pushing the time table back a little.. no worries.

I figured they couldn't be much longer so I stayed put and waited. Actually Colson was pretty quiet for a Sunday. I heard some crunching in the brush and crept up on these two local FFs:
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. DONE! Now +60

dyvking screwed with this post 06-15-2008 at 08:21 PM
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:17 PM   #227
dyvking OP
ahead of his flamin star

Finally, here they come:
Jeff blew by so fast I didn't get a shot of him. Then came this dude:

I thought "crap".. he isn't one of the group. Well.. yes he was. That's the Mayor, Richard Cabesa, who had slipped up Colson before I got there and tied in with the rest.

WallyWhirled charging down:

John, xcountry, came down the draw:

Next Dave on the recalcitrant beemer and DarrenO on his KTM dusted me off:

and finally h8chains on his katoom: (ADV salute kindly provided by the Mayor)

Notice Joel's unusual form. We were to see more of this later

dyvking screwed with this post 06-15-2008 at 08:33 PM
Old 06-15-2008, 08:27 PM   #228
dyvking OP
ahead of his flamin star

After everyone got down out of Colson Canyon, it was back to the asphalt again on Tepusquet and out Foxen Canyon. Here's h8chains rounding a corner on Foxen in true h8 form:

Here's Windrat on Foxen doing.. well, I'm not really sure just WHAT Bob's doing here:

Re-evaluation of the plan at the intersection of Foxen Cyn and Zaca Road:

Then over to Santa Ynez for a quick re-fuel:

At this point, WindRat, Richard Cabesa and myself exiled ourselves from the group, opting to head up Hwy 154 to the famous Cold Springs Tavern for a cool one. Time had become the issue for us. The rest of the crew proceded according to plan and rode up Refugio Road to West Camino Cielo. We'll have to wait for their reports to find out the rest of the story!
Old 06-15-2008, 09:02 PM   #229
richard cabesa
The Mayor

Oddometer: 9,181
I'm home safe and I'm bushed. 200 miles with the little thumper twisted to the stop and I'm still buzzing.

I hope the guys that went on over W Camino were able to get down the pass OK. there was an accident that closed the road. I managed to slide down the fog line for about a half a mile and turn down Old San Marcos but the traffic was stacking up fast.

Good ride, guys. A beautiful day in the back country
Old 06-16-2008, 12:35 AM   #230
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,228
Home and Sore

Got home around 11PM, sore from the 630 miles that I put on. Anyday, I would rather be in pain and get a great ride; and meet a bunch of FFs.

Truly a special weekend and an epic ride for me. Took a bunch of pics and will post them tomorrow.

Special thanks to Wallywhirled, Darren O, DDennis, and Dvyking for making this happen. It started just a bs after the Carrizo Plain ride, and turned to a very memorable experience that I will remember for a long time.

We're all thankful to the rest of the guys for joining us and to the others who rode in part with us.

Really amazing dual sport ride, 200 miles of dirt, from sea level to 4000ft, covering 5 counties, (L.A., Ventura, Santa Barbara, Kern, and SLO). The remaining ride on pavement is like 300 miles of canyons and twisties, rode through farms, ranches, wineries, vineyards, and million dollar mansions, a California that I never seen all in one weekend. The best part no freeways, just back roads, of course the ride from Santa Paula to Burbank in the dark sucks!

NSFW screwed with this post 06-16-2008 at 08:37 AM
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:21 AM   #231
dyvking OP
ahead of his flamin star

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
Got home around 11PM, sore from the 630 miles that I put on. Anyday, I would rather be in pain and get a great ride; and meet a bunch of FFs.
It's good to hear you made it home in time to get a decent night's sleep, Joel. It was great fun meeting you and having the opportunity to ride with you and the others. I think you had the longest weekend of all, beginning and ending in Burbank! I know you took a lot of photos, and will be anxiously waiting to see them.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:43 PM   #232
ddennis669
Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Cedric +1

Quote:

Really amazing dual sport ride, 200 miles of dirt, from sea level to 4000ft, covering 5 counties, (L.A., Ventura, Santa Barbara, Kern, and SLO). The remaining ride on pavement is like 300 miles of canyons and twisties, rode through farms, ranches, wineries, vineyards, and million dollar mansions, a California that I never seen all in one weekend. The best part no freeways, just back roads, of course the ride from Santa Paula to Burbank in the dark sucks!
Joel,

Glad you made it home safely. It was a great ride. I look forward to CEDRIC II .

+1 on your summary. Good people, challenging roads and great food.

It was so good to see so many FFs catch the ride. ADVriders that couldn't make the whole ride even came out to catch the parts that they could. That was cool.

I would be remiss, if I didn't express my personal gratitude to the folks that put this together, and helped out along the way. Joel, you little bit of BSing turned into a great weekend. Wally's trail scouting and route layout was so cool. Walt's insight into all of these trails really helped bring it together.

And so many ADV FFs. At meal stops in Ojai, Pozo, Nipomo, Santa Maria. ADV Trail scouts turning up along the way like Larry and the Mayor to keep us on track. Was that cool or what? I have to quote Tolkien's Bilbo Baggins and say, "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

A BIG ADV salute to Joel, Wally and the Mayor, for keeping me amused as DarrenO coached me through the long overdue 500 miles service on my 74 BMW at near the bottom of LaBrea Canyon. Thanks guys.

And how about Jeff, for putting on a Dual-Sport riding seminar for those that could hang with him long enough to see it. Dang! At one point Wally, John and I were flying down some tiight twisty stuff, thinking we were using it up and Jeff goes by us on the inside, pipes barking, tires squirming, and I'm thinking "Damn, I thought school was out for the summer!"

I hope everyone made it home safey. I know Mike was hurting. I hope he is feeling better. I parted company with and DarrenO and John at 10 PM in Cuyama Valley, they had 130 miles to go and only dark shields.

Next year the date has been set for the weekend after Fathers Day. I plan on doing three days again. My three day mileage totaled 990 miles. The Friday pre-ride was 408 miles (not much dirt), my Saturday/Sunday was 587, just over 290 each day. Toughest, and most spectcular roads were on Sunday. As Darren put it at the end of the East Camino Cielo section as we were nearing our Ojai finish, "Next year, we have to find some good roads."

Thanks again to everyone for making this a great ride.
ddennis669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:08 PM   #233
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Taking HW150 to Ojai made it an enjoyable ride.

Downtown Ojai in the morning

Deer Lodge is not a typical hangout for DS riders, but that Saturday morning only ADV bikes can be seen. On weekends, you'll see like a lot of heavily chromed bikes with a lot of ornaments parked in front in the afternoon. I guess 8am is too early for them.

There were small bikes and big bikes, and then there's Dave's vintage and Don's brand new 990ADV.

Finally got the chance to meet the rest of the guys for the first time. Thanks to Eyes Shut for getting their names correctly.

Breakfast was good, and that assured us that we have enough energy for the day.

Rode up on scenic and twisty HW33 to Quatal Canyon for our first dirt.

Windrat all wind up!

Treadless, a true adventure rider. He did a 2-month ride to Alaska, and a good source of info for those planning to head up north.

GSWayne and Eyes Shut, they rode across the US and been to most states. Only most of us can dream!

Our trail leader Wally on his GSAdv did an excellent job. DDennis right behind him on his vintage BMW, which is a capable bike in the hands of the right person.

NSFW screwed with this post 06-16-2008 at 05:37 PM
Old 06-16-2008, 03:16 PM   #234
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Quatal Canyon started easy

Treadless before he starts disliking his DRZ, or was it the other way around?

Darren O on his 950, friendly, good sense of humour, and very generous (bought everyone lunch)! Of course a very good rider too.

The nicer part of Quatal

Once I joined up with the group, here's what I saw

What pisses me off is to see the fastest rider already taking a nap when I got there.

Quatal looks deceivingly easy, but if you go fast, you better know how to do double jumps, or even triple. Easy to catch air when you go fast, but when you land, you will end up on the uphill of the next hump or at the bottom of the trough. Too tempting, but one can easily get hurt or case your bike. The nice part is once you get pass the halfway mark, the trail becomes lush with trees.

NSFW screwed with this post 06-16-2008 at 08:53 PM
Old 06-16-2008, 06:24 PM   #235
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

After Quatal, we took Cerro Noroeste, the socal equivalent of Angeles Crest but no blind corners. No reason to ride slow, the pavement was in perfect shape and no negative camber.

The evidence shows that someone's bike took a nap on the berm, not my 640!

Treadless giving me the official salute after his 1st gravity check

Windrat trying to attach the lens but the damage was already done. Luckily both rider and bike were ok.

From Cerro Noroeste we took the abandoned Klipstein Canyon to avoid riding on the highway

Most of the photo opportunities is at the stop sign.

My 640A doesn't need gas yet, but most of the FFs have small tanks and they have to drag me, go out of our way to see beautiful Maricopa.

Windrat, D'O, DDennis, and Don.

The 2nd dirt trail we hit that same morning, Elkhorn Grade in Carrizo Plains, and you can actually spend the whole day here without seeing pavement.

More dirt. This is the same trail Eatpasta terrorized the native species on his GS. You can easily do 100+ here if yours are as big as AJ!

Noobs and jugs friendly

Our trail leader Wally was a little lost finding the coordinates

No problem, Garmin is here to assist. Check out the HID lamp on the bottom right, cuz you'll see it again.

That water tank has been empty for decades

Jugs and a little piece of orange

John just bought this 990 last week for this ride

The inseparable DRZ boys

We finally hit pavement and in search of E. Pozo Rd that will take us to the historic Pozo Saloon

NSFW screwed with this post 06-16-2008 at 08:20 PM
Old 06-16-2008, 07:19 PM   #236
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

E. Pozo

East Pozo Rd - our 3rd dirt ride of the day

Wally giving Treadless a visual check after his 2nd gravity check! Unfortunately he has to call it quits, not worriied about his body but he wants to preserve whatever valuable pieces on the bike so he can keep it up with the Kelly Blue Book.

Can't really go fast on E. Pozo, the trail is so slick and if you loose it, you will need a very long rope to get you out.

It's beautiful but full of treachery

Looks like I'm getting good, now I can keep up with Treadless

The only best thing to do on Pozo Rd is to enjoy the scenery

The dirt road lead us to this lonely pavement

Nice rolling hills but dry. Ironically Pozo means Water Well in English!

The historic Pozo Saloon, Ted Nugent had his concert here the day before.

It's cheaper to buy turn signal lenses in pair.

Pozo Saloon is a favorite spot for many motorcycle riders and ADV Riders from San Franciso!

Wally has his eye on one of the female bikers who obliged to had her picture taken with a bandana covering her face. Wally....you're one sic ass! ! Last time I heard he's checking out her profile at Myspace.com!

All the bikes come in 2XL, should I say rider and passenger alike

Few minutes after we arrived, IdeaMan showed up. He scouted the Hi Mountain road and warned us about the hazards

We came to Pozo Saloon for one reason...beer. Look at Wally's left hand, he does that so no one will want the beer!

Another FF, Baja Ho in red shirt showed up but won't drink Wally's beer! Windrat (Bob) bought the beer and he has to beg.

Hi Mountain Rd next after dinner.

NSFW screwed with this post 06-16-2008 at 09:25 PM
Old 06-16-2008, 08:06 PM   #237
dyvking OP
ahead of his flamin star

Quote:
Hi Mountain Rd next after dinner.
GREAT story so far, Joel. I am just saying "damn, damn, damn. I should have found time to do more of the ride' ! But, Oregon calls and I managed to get everything packed and ready to go on the RT for tomorrow's ride.
Hurry up and finish dinner!
Old 06-16-2008, 09:03 PM   #238
zacnzoe
bustnluc

Oddometer: 92
Rockin to the CEDRIC beat!

Yeah, I'm beat!

I made it home at 11:48pm. What a great ride!!!

A big "thank you" to all the key players of this event for their vision, planning, attention to detail and execution. Joel, Wally, Stan and Dave - GREAT WORK! I know many other folks contributed as well, and I'd like to say "thanks" to them also.

I strongly recommend a doubling of the compensation you are recieving from ADV for all your efforts regarding this endeavor! Heck, when ddennis only charged me $150 bucks for entry, I thought "WOW" - that's cheap, ADV must not be paying you guys enough? Anyway, thanks to all the other FF's who came out to ride when they could (Fathers Day obligations and such). It is always a pleasure talk to and ride with such wonderful people, as motorcycle people always seem to be.

The roads were great, the weather hot, the beer cold, the points burnt, the weekend loooonnnngggg, but the people made it really memorable!

Darren O

"If you stand for something, you'll fall for anything!"
zacnzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:10 PM   #239
zacnzoe
bustnluc

Oddometer: 92
Thumb Rockin to the CEDRIC beat part duh.

Take II,

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything!"

D'oh!
zacnzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:11 PM   #240
dyvking OP
ahead of his flamin star

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacnzoe
The roads were great, the weather hot, the beer cold, the points burnt, the weekend loooonnnngggg, but the people made it really memorable!

Darren O
Nice meeting you, Darren. You're right about the people making the ride.

Now you've got to sign up for this one: 4th Annual WMRS ride in Bishop.

The Mammoth Festival of Beers and Bluesapalooza happens to coincide!