ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
valvecrusher OP
tractus pro pensio™
 
valvecrusher's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Dos Circlos
Oddometer: 1,683
Cool2 WR250X vs WR250R heads up

Anyone ridden both versions, enough to compare them ADV style?

Would a X be as offroad capable as the R?

I believe their is a difference in the tranny gearing to restore the tire diameter's effect on overall gearing.
And i also think the suspensions are valved differently..

Has anyone had the pleasure to take both of these through the 'good stuff', enough to speculate if the X is nearly as capable offroad as the R?

Or the direct slab to slab road test?
0-70mph heads up?
Jumping logs, creeks etc...

Now i'm hoping tires not withstanding, ie DOT knobs on the X....
__________________
Honda NX250??
I prefer to ride, and when i do, it's 'un Equi

valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!
 
Reposado1800's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: 5th and Main
Oddometer: 5,741
I have the X and it is superb. I don't think knobbies exist for the 17" tire size on this bike. So far it is getting 70 mpg. Soft saddle bags will throw over the back with no issue. A magnetic tank bag is a no go. There is nothing for the magnets to hold to. I will be looking for a strap mount tank bag and a soft tail bag to go with the saddle bags. 0-70 happens really quick. Supposedly suspension is valved a bit softer on the X. I find it fine and haven't messed with the clickers yet.
__________________
Hate gets you nowhere.
Tequila is a weapon of mass destruction.
Reposado1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind
 
montesa_vr's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Oddometer: 2,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValveCrusher
I believe their is a difference in the tranny gearing to restore the tire diameter's effect on overall gearing.
Transmissions and primary drive gearing are identical on both models, but the X has one less tooth on the rear sprocket to compensate for the smaller wheel diameter.
__________________
Often wrong, but never in doubt.
montesa_vr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:21 AM   #4
soundasleeprecording
genuine pleather seating
 
soundasleeprecording's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: dallas, texas, EARTH (mostly)
Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValveCrusher
Anyone ridden both versions, enough to compare them ADV style?

Would a X be as offroad capable as the R?

I believe their is a difference in the tranny gearing to restore the tire diameter's effect on overall gearing.
And i also think the suspensions are valved differently..

Has anyone had the pleasure to take both of these through the 'good stuff', enough to speculate if the X is nearly as capable offroad as the R?

Or the direct slab to slab road test?
0-70mph heads up?
Jumping logs, creeks etc...

Now i'm hoping tires not withstanding, ie DOT knobs on the X....
The gearing feels the same, but if that's true, the gearing must be different - I'm sure you can find the actual ratios on the web.
The X is faster from nothing because of the 17s & the proper street tires, and obviously sticks much better because of the same. The R is definitely a DS bike, and I didn't get to do any dirtying on my test rides. These 2 bikes are the same, other than their intended focus. Buy the one that's right for your riding habits, DS or all-street.
__________________
Ahhh, the internet, where all things go to die.

R1200ST and some expensive bicycles.
soundasleeprecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:55 AM   #5
zc1
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundasleeprecording
The gearing feels the same, but if that's true, the gearing must be different - I'm sure you can find the actual ratios on the web.
The X is faster from nothing because of the 17s & the proper street tires, and obviously sticks much better because of the same. The R is definitely a DS bike, and I didn't get to do any dirtying on my test rides. These 2 bikes are the same, other than their intended focus. Buy the one that's right for your riding habits, DS or all-street.
Scroll to the bottom. Ratios are the same (except for rear sprocket):

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-76600.html
__________________
Not all who wander are lost -- JRR Tolkien
2008 Yamaha WR250R
2007 Suzuki GSX-R1000
zc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
lvdukerider
Las Vegas Nevada
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Oddometer: 523
Im thinking by the X for the slightly larger front brake rotor (if it even matters) and go with a spair set of 21/18 wheels with street legal (or not) knobbies, best of both worlds. Im seriously thinking of picking up either a X or R as soon as one shows up on the used market for a substantial discount.
lvdukerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:04 PM   #7
soundasleeprecording
genuine pleather seating
 
soundasleeprecording's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: dallas, texas, EARTH (mostly)
Oddometer: 515
There may be issues with disc/caliper clearance when going to the spoked 21" wheel (and you"ll need a 320mm front disc it - LOOKOUT!). This is a common problem when going from street 17s to dirt spoked wheels with big disc brakes.
__________________
Ahhh, the internet, where all things go to die.

R1200ST and some expensive bicycles.
soundasleeprecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:02 AM   #8
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider
 
SimpleSimon's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Lake Stevens, WA
Oddometer: 3,388
Bumping this. I'm curious if anyone has tossed the dirt wheels set on the supermoto.
__________________
5f? Is that like riding down a 90 degree cliff face into a lake of fire? I thought 4f was bad. Abdelhub

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:14 PM   #9
Chip Seal
Beastly Adventurer
 
Chip Seal's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Western Orygun
Oddometer: 1,808
RE wr250X

Can someone give a ride impression on the wr250x. It's gotta be a hoot.

Would believe it's a lane splitter king?

Well heck 205.
I didn't dig deep enough on my initial search!
Chip Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:54 PM   #10
yanni23
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnakx250
I have the X and it is superb. I don't think knobbies exist for the 17" tire size on this bike. So far it is getting 70 mpg. Soft saddle bags will throw over the back with no issue. A magnetic tank bag is a no go. There is nothing for the magnets to hold to. I will be looking for a strap mount tank bag and a soft tail bag to go with the saddle bags. 0-70 happens really quick. Supposedly suspension is valved a bit softer on the X. I find it fine and haven't messed with the clickers yet.
Where ya been?









yanni23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:49 PM   #11
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!
 
Reposado1800's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: 5th and Main
Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni23
Where ya been?









What size and brand tires are those?
__________________
Hate gets you nowhere.
Tequila is a weapon of mass destruction.
Reposado1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:16 AM   #12
D1EHARD
Got the Fever
 
D1EHARD's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Bama
Oddometer: 87
I'd like to bump this thread up. The 17" knobbies on those bikes is exactly what I'm looking for. They look like Maxxis 6006's and TKC 80's? I am also assuming that they are using rear tires on the front?

I own the WR250X and am dead set on putting some 17" knobbies on. What are the reprecussions of riding with a rear tire up front? My bike handles like a dream right now but I'm willing to sacrifice a lil mobility for the knobs. I'm not gonna be doing any time on the track or anything like that either, this bike is just for sh!ts and giggles.

Thanks!
D1EHARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:42 PM   #13
Circsaws
DRZ400 S -->SM
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: West Kootenays
Oddometer: 44
Most likely tkc 80. and from what I've heard handle ok on the street and dirt.
Circsaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #14
XPADREX
Funslinger
 
XPADREX's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Ohio, USA
Oddometer: 7,887
I'd like to bump this thread, to see what dual-sport, or at least a bit more "tourance" type tires are available for stock 17" WR250X rims.

I'm looking through catalogs, but firsthand accounts work best, IMO.
XPADREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #15
Jolly705
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jolly705's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Tri State Area
Oddometer: 2,372
Dirt wheels bolt right onto a X. Forrest sells them here

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/index.shtml


Jolly705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014