User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
zed88 OP
n00bilicious

Oddometer: 1,297
1200, 2003 Bandit S

So tell me about the bandit. A friend is looking at purchasing one and I would like to know all the known issues along with good and bad. As far as I can tell its a nice bike. The on in question is a 2003 with 3,500 miles and new tires/chain/fluid changes. Its in decent but not mint condition. What would you pay for one?
zed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
longrider999
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,414
blue book

zed88,i sometimes go to www.bluebookmotorcycles.com to look up prices.probably not as good as an adv rider in youre neighborhood.but it is in the ballpark.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
T0mW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
check out http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/
Tons of info on Bandits there
I have a 2000 Bandit 600 & it is a great bike
T0mW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:33 PM   #4
Johnny KLR
Woefully Adventurous

Oddometer: 1,282
The Bandit is perhaps one of the most underrated machines ever to grace the road. Some of that is due to a weak niche market for semi-faired bikes, and the other is poor tire choice from the factory.

The POS rubber is awful, and makes the B12 a lackluster performer in the fun stuff. Swapping to a grippy set of hoops makes the bike go night and day. It is an incredibly good carver with ergos that'll get you where you're going, no matter how far away.

It's a smooth bike; not V4 smooth, but smoother than a bike of its displacement has a right to be. It is a muscle-bike with very good manners. Power is easy and relatively cheap to get out of this bike. An exhaust swap can net you up to 10rwhp alone.

After '01 there weren't really any issues at all. The headlights are sometimes a source of complaint, so I'd look at immediatly investing in a set of driving lights, or an HID conversion. The alternator delivers gobs of power, so running those, electrics, and a small town is no worry.

Otherwise, it's all just the same 'ol stuff that any bike might have issues with.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Johnny KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #5
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,116
Great bike, I have one. Love the torque.

The specs on the one you're asking about seem a little odd, though. New tires & chain at only 3500 miles, and an 8-year-old bike with only 3500 miles. I can see ditching the stock tires early on, but the chain?

The valve adjustment period is every 7500 miles.

The '03 is carbed vs FI for the newer 1250's.

A Yoshi can on it sounds most awesome without being obnoxious.

Just some food for thought.
Laura0107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:31 PM   #6
zed88 OP
n00bilicious

Oddometer: 1,297
The bike sat outside for a few years under a tarp so they chain is very rusty, and lacking mileage (ridden a few hundred miles a year). The tires have about 1/2 tread but are also original to the bike so they need to go. I told the dealer we might deal if they replace both tires with fresh ones, change all fluids (coolant, oil, clutch, brake), and replace the chain. As far as I know everything else should be fine (maybe some rubber fittings/gaskets etc). Does this sound ok for $4200? I realize its a older bike and the value is pretty low, but I figured with all fresh stuff that should keep the value a little towards the high end. How hard are valve checks on this bike? I've been spoiled by the vstrom which basically ignores its valves (though I check them anyways). Thanks
zed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:37 PM   #7
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by zed88
The bike sat outside for a few years under a tarp so they chain is very rusty, and lacking mileage (ridden a few hundred miles a year). The tires have about 1/2 tread but are also original to the bike so they need to go. I told the dealer we might deal if they replace both tires with fresh ones, change all fluids (coolant, oil, clutch, brake), and replace the chain. As far as I know everything else should be fine (maybe some rubber fittings/gaskets etc). Does this sound ok for $4200? I realize its a older bike and the value is pretty low, but I figured with all fresh stuff that should keep the value a little towards the high end. How hard are valve checks on this bike? I've been spoiled by the vstrom which basically ignores its valves (though I check them anyways). Thanks
Bandits of all vintages are great bikes. I bought a 2001 B12S new in May 2001. When it met it's demise in June 2005, it had 59,988 miles on it. 200+ runs down the 1/8th mile (best time 7.01 @ 99mph). Still had the original clutch. In fact, in all those miles the ONLY thing I replaced was the left taillight bulb twice.

Installed Dale Walkers stage 1 jet kit w/5 deg advancer and Micron SS slipon. Went up 4 teeth on the rear sprocket. Throttle Rocker. Zero Gravity tinted screen, RoadGear tank bag and Jumbo Sport Saddlebags.

I did several 1000+ mile days. Commuting, sport riding, blah, blah, blah.

It's a great all around bike.

Valve adjustments are stone simple requiring only a $10 special tool, 10mm wrench plus the allen sockets to get the valve cover off. The Gen2 fairings are notched to allow removal of the valve cover. Spark plugs can be replaced without removing anything! The valve cover holes are radiussed to allow removal of plugs.

First time or two checking valves took 2 hours. Last 2 or 3 took 45 minutes. I extended the interval to 15,000 miles and just found 3 or 4 valves slightly on the loose end of the spec.

$4200 sounds a little high for an '03 regardless of mileage. Out the door, my 01 was $6998. I hear they are making similar deals on the new 1250 Bandits.

Great bike.

HNBAS Tour 2008

HNBAS Tour 2010
dolomoto is offline   Reply With Quote