Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2004, 04:50 AM   #61
Mick Fagan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Ray, only about 36-37 litres is able to be used, it still however is a nice tank.

But if you remember my last bike it had a 42 litre steel Ernst Hoske tank from Germany. It's usable fuel was about 39½ litres as it was a gravity feed not afuel pump job. I picked it up in 1982 when I ordered another large steel tank at the Hoske BMW shop. The freight for one tank was the same as the freight for two, so I bought two with the intention of selling the other tank and halving my freight costs. No one wanted it so I kept it, when I bought another bike it went straight on.

I think you'd be very surprised at just how little difference a full tank makes. Sure, it does make a difference but not that much.

A friend in Western Australia had his R90S kitted out with a 71 or 76 litre tank the last time we met in 91, he pulls a chair! I'm aiming to see him again this year at Innamincka and he'll be on the same bike as far as I know.

Mick.
Mick Fagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 03:26 PM   #62
Mick Fagan
Gnarly Adventurer

Ray, the tank is fitted to the bike in the usual place, but obviously it's a fair bit larger in size.

The reference to the bridge is that a couple of years ago there was a group that set up a spit near the bridge, I assumed that he was with that group. That said, if it's raining, then standing under the bridge means it doesn't rain on your head.

Mick.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:22 PM   #63
ozadvntr
Planning that trip, again

Oddometer: 1,172
OCR prep meeting Saturday 12 Jun

A few guys intending to do the OCR are attending the Saphire Rally at Warialda on the June Long Weekend. Some of the SEQLD and Nthn NSW OZ Adventure riders will be meeting at the rally.
Differing routes and time frames for the trip will be discussed as will meeting points along the way etc.

If your interested in gong out, I will be departing Toowoomba early Saturday Afternoon planning an easy run out to the Rally.

Mick Jaeger
Toowoomba
ozadvntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 12:13 AM   #64
Trevor S
Cap'n Flatulence !

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fagan
For an 1100GS, a set of Continental TKC 80's are the go. You'll get about 6 to 8,000 Klm's out of a set on a trip like this.

My last set lasted 11,000 Klm's and I was still legal, just.
How the hell ? !!!! ???? I get 3500km, the best I got was 4000km and they were totally shagged ! 3000km and they are definetly not legal on my 1150 Adv, thats with 80% off road taking it reasonably easy (though I will admit taking it easy is subjective)

That's with very little brake sliding into the corners (only if coming in to "hot" and needing to wash speed off and steer th ebig bitch around the corner), lots of stand up and hardly ever spinning the rear up to exit corners ! If I could get 5 - 6000k out of them I would be a damn happy chappy !
Trevor S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 12:33 AM   #65
Mick Fagan
Gnarly Adventurer

Having grown up with no money and no spares I got used to being very careful about accelleration and savage braking. Those really are the two main factors in the longevity of any machine and also it's tyres.

I can and have done some very fast trips which did wear out tyres at a rate I didn't think possible. Once I left Sydney at 0500 and arrived in Adelaide 11 hours later or 1530 local time. When I left Sydney I was on a brand new 20 miles old Metzeler C66. Upon arriving in Adelaide there were patches of canvas showing. Heat (it was summer) rough roads and high speed demolished the tyre. We used to call the Hay plains the Hades plains it was so hot.

Another contributing factor, especially with these 1100/50 bikes is their great get up and go combined with soft tyres that give grip. I hardly ever take off like a rocket, after all there is always a set of traffic lights waiting and if on the highway the national speed limits (NT excepted) make it impossible to burn tyres off the bike.

Thirty years ago I was racing production bikes and I noticed that there was a type of rider who was hard on the transmission and tyres and another type who somehow didn't seem to wear anything out. Yet the two riders could be the ones winning the race, it was a perplexing situation, one that I don't have an answer for.

Possibly the major factor these days about longevity of machinery and tyres in particular for my bike, is my age, I have slowed down slightly.

Mick.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:36 AM   #66
Humungus
no it doesn't

Oddometer: 5,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozadvntr
A few guys intending to do the OCR are attending the Saphire Rally at Warialda on the June Long Weekend. Some of the SEQLD and Nthn NSW OZ Adventure riders will be meeting at the rally.
Differing routes and time frames for the trip will be discussed as will meeting points along the way etc.

If your interested in gong out, I will be departing Toowoomba early Saturday Afternoon planning an easy run out to the Rally.

Mick Jaeger
Toowoomba
Mick are you heading out st george way ?
Humungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 05:17 PM   #67
ozadvntr

Mark,

Just back at work after a two hectic days in Melbourne. Yes, I will go out via St George, then due west to Innamincka.

Three of us from Towoomba going at the moment.

Michael Jaeger
Toowoomba
Old 06-02-2004, 05:29 PM   #68
Burren Rider
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,807
G'Day Michael,

How many days are planning on for the trip out and back?
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 06:24 PM   #69
ozadvntr

Hi Mate,

Currently planning on two out, Rest Day, Two back.

Michael Jaeger
Toowoomba
Old 06-02-2004, 06:40 PM   #70
Burren Rider
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,807
That sounds pretty good, any ideas on what sort of roads you might be taking? Dirt roads and the like are fine but I am not sure how well the V-Strom would handle the shot lines out that way.
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:21 PM   #71
ozadvntr

Due to time constaints, nothing such as a shot line. However, that is still to be decided between those who of us who are going. We need to get together, something we plan to do in the next few weeks.

Michael Jaeger
Old 06-06-2004, 09:27 PM   #72
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,446
Any room for a Slowbike Smallpenis?

Greg - anticipate leaving Jervis Bay and catch up with you guys at Condo if thats ok....

Mark.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:02 PM   #73
lemmiwinks
sometime dirt squirter

Oddometer: 585
Hi guys,

I'm in northern NSW and planning to head to the OCR. At the moment I'm undecided on routes (though I like the idea of meeting up with Greg and the other Sydney riders and going up through Camerons Corner), so if anyone is looking for a riding partner let me know and maybe we can work something out.

Cheers,
Ash.
lemmiwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 10:40 PM   #74
atgreg OP
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbike smallpenis
Any room for a Slowbike Smallpenis?

Greg - anticipate leaving Jervis Bay and catch up with you guys at Condo if thats ok....

Mark.

No problem !!!, the more the merrier, we'll sort out details closer to the date.

Greg
atgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 11:25 PM   #75
ozadvntr

SEQLD NTHN NSW Riders

Ash,

As I said last week, a few of us from SEQLD, Nthn NSW are meeting at the Saphire this weekend to discuss routes and timings etc.

You are surely welcome to come along and say G'day. The Rally is west of Inverell. It will be a bit fresh for sure.

Where abouts are you?