User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
ubergeek71 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
My GS......Mr Bone Crusher

So, technically had my first road crash a few weeks back. I've been riding motorcycles for over 30 years, first in the dirt, then later I added street into the mix. I've done all kinds of riding, from sport bikes on the track, to racing hare scrambles in the dirt, to saddle sore 1000's. Don't get me wrong, I've crashed a lot, but I've always managed to do it in the dirt on dirt bikes.

About a year and a half ago, I got my GS. I've been in the dirt on it a few times, but not a ton of times. I had finally just about gotten my GS set up exactly how I wanted it. I started planning a ride across the eastern TAT with a buddy of mine, we were locked in for late September to do Tennessee - Arkansas over the course of a week or so.

This was technically going to be our first "training" ride to prepare for the TAT. We rode up into the North GA mountains in search of some FS roads. Nothing majorly hard. We found one, and my buddy, inspectorpacket (Paul) took off ahead of me on his 950 ADV. I realized a little down the road that I had forgotten to turn off my ABS, so I stopped, killed the engine, held down the ABS button, fired everything back up and took off to catch up.

I wasn't going all that fast and we weren't that far down the FS road, and it was a relatively flat piece of road with a left hand, up hill turn coming up. Paul was out of sight, but I knew he would wait for me up the road some. He was probably already waiting since I had already stopped and wasted some time with the ABS.

Now, I have no idea why I crashed....did I hit something that got me sideways or did I grab a big handful of front brake that washed the front end...I have no idea. All I remember is that I quickly had a flash realization that I was going down, then the next thing I remember is being on my back and sitting up near the back of my bike, desperately trying to get my lungs to take in a breath. That's a terrifying experience, when you can't take a breath. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity I was able to take a breath, then my breathing returned to normal.

I couldn't really see anything, my vision was clouded and eventually realized the face shield on my RF1000 was just about destroyed and only half on my helmet. I managed to push it out of the way and noticed that my GS was still running. My first though was that I needed to shut it up, then try to pick it up. I managed to crawl over and hit the kill switch. As I was crawling I noticed that my lower left leg and foot were flopping around. Not good. No way I was going to stand up not pick up the bike.

I got my helmet off and started collecting my thoughts and about that time Paul came back down the FS road looking for me. Well, he found me splayed out in the middle of the FS road, laying next to Mr Bone Crusher.

Now, I had thought of hitting the 911 button on my SPOT, but I didn't really think I was bad off enough to warrant an ambulance ride, but I wasn't sure. By this time, my left shoulder and generally my left side were starting to hurt a bit. Paul looked for a cell signal, but had none. I asked him to pick up Mr Bone Crusher, which he did, although he didn't look to thrilled to pick the big pig up.

About this time, ARod2000 comes rolling by on his 990 (?) and asks if he can help. He says he'll try to find cell signal and call some of the DOG's (Dual Sporters of Georgia) to see if we can get me and my bike home. So he takes off, we have several cars come by, some offer to help, some don't. Mr Bone Crusher has leaked a ton of oil out through the left cylinder, and me, I'm still just trying to figure out what happened.

About 30 minutes after taking off, ARod2000 comes back with a pickup in tow, turns out it's a guy who lives right around the corner. He offers to let me store the bike at his place, and even offers me a ride back to my place....perfect. My house is an hour away, and this guy is truly awesome for taking me all the way. Interestingly, I had just finished reading the BAM ride report, and thinking to myself that you just don't find people in America willing to help as much as those guys did on the BAM road. This one incident proved me way wrong in that respect.

To make a long story short, I ended up with a mangled left ankle (tib/fib), which is broken in 4 places and dislocated as well. Maybe my leg got caught under my Jesse's when I was going down?? I have no memory of it, so anythings possible. I also had a broken left clavicle, and a bruised spleen, which initially, seemed to be the only thing that the trauma team in the ER cared about. I'm lucky the spleen wasn't worse, or I would have likely bleed out on that FS road and never made it to a hospital.

I spent almost a week in the hospital, had surgery to repair my ankle and more surgery to repair my clavicle. My orthopedic surgeon says I have about 2-3 lbs. worth of extra metal in my body now and I will walk in circles going forward...lol.

The GS is now totaled....probably not getting another, but maybe just going to be a strictly dirt guy for a while.

As far as gear, I had some of the best that could be bought...

Shoei RF1000 Helmet
Olympia AST Jacket
Olympia Ranger II pants (this was their first ride!!)
Sidi Discovery Rain boots

And now...for the money shots....don't look if this stuff grosses you out.

I highly advise anyone thinking about doing this, to just not do it. It's no fun and I'm not allowed to walk for at least 2 months...which isn't any fun at all!!

My ankle in the ER....

An x-ray before setting my ankle in the ER and before surgery....

clavicle before surgery....

clavicle all plated up....

ankle plated up...

more ankle plate...

inside of the ankle post op

outside....

PICS
SPOT
ubergeek71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
Sergeant Joe
Sitrep=Snafu

Oddometer: 244
Wow!, that sucks .
Hope you recover soon mate..............er...and if you dont want the GS anymore I will send my postal address .
Sergeant Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
xmonger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Wow. I hope you heal quick.
xmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
fitenfyr
Dirt is Good

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergeek71
To make a long story short, I ended up with a mangled left ankle (tib/fib), which is broken in 4 places and dislocated as well. Maybe my leg got caught under my Jesse's when I was going down?? .......
Having just been through similar (not as bad a fracture, but I have jewelry and a scar too ) You are probably 100% correct because that is where my right foot ended up when I did mine in October of last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergeek71
Sidi Discovery Rain boots
Sad to say, but these I bet were part of the reason you had such a bad fracture. I was wearing a pair of Icon boots that were more street oriented than dirt (like an MX boot) and I know for a fact they contributed to the fracture.

Since then I have bought a pair of Alpinstar Tech 3's and that is all I ride in. They are comfy enough and provide a lot more protection than any previous boot I own/owned.

Do exactly as the doc says. Stay off it and keep it elevated. It will heal in no time.
Accident was on 10/25/09, surgery 10/30/09 and I was back on my bike riding 12/12/09.
I spent the first 3 weeks basically in bed with it elevated. Made all the difference in the world on healing.

Here is the link to my pictures.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...light=fitenfyr
2005 F650GS
http://www.jasonstiffey.com
fitenfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
lineareagle
philomath

Oddometer: 502
Hope it all heals well for you.
Wait till they pull those staples - man that hurts.
I can still feel the plate in my tib/fib fracture real pita, and it was three years ago!
I have no worries about riding my GSA in the dirt, way too heavy for me to pick up and if you ride the dirt you will be picking it up sometime.

Get better soon, glad your view of humanity has been modified somewhat, nice meeting nice people.

'06 1200 GS Adv - non A
lineareagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,091
Looks like you win for having the most graphic Face Plant entry in a long time. Maybe it marks the start of the riding season.

Five days in the hospital -- ouch! Glad it wasn't worse, especially as far as internal organs are concerned, and that you had some good neighbors out there.
Good luck on the recovery.
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
PJungnitsch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Sorry to hear about your accident. I'm pretty much 100% now after a clavicle break in the fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitenfyr
Having just been through similar (not as bad a fracture, but I have jewelry and a scar too ) You are probably 100% correct because that is where my right foot ended up when I did mine in October of last year.
So is that a known problem with aluminum hard bags? Compared to soft bags I really liked my E21 Givis (waterproof, secure) was debating between them and Happy trails aluminum. Seems like the aluminum corner would catch a leg easier than the rounded plastic would.
PJungnitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
fitenfyr
Dirt is Good

Oddometer: 422
Yeah, but the way I look at it is either situation is a bad deal.
With the hard bags it kept the weight of the bike off my leg and probably prevented a long bone or serious knee injury.

The soft bags would most likely have put more weight on your leg.

Either way...bad deal so it is probably just your preference to pain.
2005 F650GS
http://www.jasonstiffey.com
fitenfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
RidingAgin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Heal quick

sorry to hear about your getoff.. those breaks look nasty for sure and wish a complete recovery. thanks for the post.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #10
ricohman
Marinoni man

Oddometer: 1,976
Nasty break.
The weight of the plates and screws is about the same as a tablespoon, a fork and a butter knife.
Nowhere near 2-3lbs.
But still a nasty break.
ricohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #11
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 3,874
Judging by the x-ray, it looks like the Jessee Case hit the back of your lower leg.

I'm not a doctor, but I saw one on TV once.

Heal up quick.
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:45 AM   #12
mewapiti
Schlub

Oddometer: 43
Similar Ankle Injury

....two years ago. Dislocation and tib/fib fracture. WOW. Your clavicle compounds the mobility problem--no crutches. I was 8 weeks non-weight bearing then it took about two more weeks to walk unassisted with a limp. Did PT 2-3 times per week for 3 months starting at the six week mark when I got out of the cast in to an inflatable boot. Removed the hardware one year later. Wish you well. PM me if I can help out. I did a lot of wondering along the path to recovery.

P.S. I bought an inflatable compression ice pack that was worth it's weight in gold once I began PT. Swelling will be an issue for many weeks/months.
mewapiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #13
macd7919
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewapiti

P.S. I bought an inflatable compression ice pack that was worth it's weight in gold once I began PT. Swelling will be an issue for many weeks/months.
Agreed, I broke my ankle badly in January of 09. I wasn't walking normally till June 09, my ankle would swell up after any time standing or sitting over 15-30 minutes (had to keep it elevated). Another factor which you may not have to deal with as much is the change in weather, when the temperature outside would fluctuate between warm and cold my ankle would go from feeling ok to sore and throbbing over short distances like 1-2 blocks of walking. It is still visibly larger than my other ankle and probably always will be. To top it off I didn't even break it riding...... I was *cough* ice skating *cough*..... I mean...bar fight.
macd7919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:20 AM   #14
AluminumMike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJungnitsch

So is that a known problem with aluminum hard bags? Compared to soft bags I really liked my E21 Givis (waterproof, secure) was debating between them and Happy trails aluminum. Seems like the aluminum corner would catch a leg easier than the rounded plastic would.
I've gone down in sand a few times and have found my leg under my Happy Trails boxes. No breaks but some tasty charlie horses. Part of it, I am certain, is that I'm not very good at riding in sand. The best outcome was bailing out when I saw one of the drops coming and I rolled right through like a circus midget. I wear heavy Matterhorns that I wore as a paratrooper in the Army. After seeing these pics, I may fork over the cash for some real boots.
AluminumMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:56 PM   #15
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,429
Geez, I was thinking that Discovery Rain's might offer a bit better lower leg protection!!

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote