User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2015, 09:43 AM   #1
LoopGaroo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Electrical problem 2002 KTM 640A

I'm chasing some electrical demons after installing a hyperlites kit on my 2002 640A. After a quick and dirty install, the hyperlites were working fine for about a week. Yesterday I decided to tuck in the wiring under the fender a little better and they worked fine until after reinstalling the seat, rack, and plastics. Something I did during the final install must have shorted something, and I ended up blowing the fuse for the headlights and brake lights. I'm thinking I probably pinched a wire at some point.

After replacing the headlight fuse, which was pretty melted, I noticed that none of the instrument panel is functioning, nor the starter, switches, horn, or brake light. Basically the only things that are still working are the tail light, headlights (hi & low) and the license plate light. After replacing the headlight fuse, everything on that fuse is now working fine, but nothing else is dead.

I've unistalled the hyperlites, replaced every fuse, and have the biked stripped down, but I'm not seeing any obvious hot spots in the harness.

I think it's funny that the symptoms are echoing what the bike would be doing if all the other fuses were blown. I'm sure that's a major clue to where the short is... Any ideas on where to start?
LoopGaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:54 PM   #2
LoopGaroo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
So, the multimeter shows continuity between the positive terminal on the battery and all three fuses. Headlight high and low beam works, rear running light works, license plate light works, and high beam indicator light on the dash. Nothing else.

When I press on the brake the tail light goes out.
LoopGaroo is offline   Reply With Quote