Came across some links that may be of use to some:
http://www.4strokes.com/tech/ktm/fork.asp
http://www.brucessuspension.com/kb1.htm
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:34 PM   #17
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427

anyone have the specs for the 43mm lc4 E wp forks?

gone round and round and done this twice now.

so 450ml is still to much and 120mm air gap I extended to 220mm air gap and less than 400ml oil. and with the stock springs it's like a rock still.

when I did the first rebuild there was no more the 250ml in either fork...but I assumed thats because the blown seal and neglect...actually I like the soft forks. ...I might drain another 100 ml...
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:09 PM   #18
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood

so 450ml is still to much and 120mm air gap I extended to 220mm air gap and less than 400ml oil. and with the stock springs it's like a rock still.

when I did the first rebuild there was no more the 250ml in either fork...but I assumed thats because the blown seal and neglect...actually I like the soft forks. ...I might drain another 100 ml...

Wanna bet that the 420ml spec Meat followed for the 48mm fork is actually the spec for the 43mm?

The oil level shouldn't matter much for stiffness over small bumps, just for big ones. Unless you've got so little oil that there's air in the cartridge. That's nice and plush.

What sort of oil are you using? Maybe switch to a lighter one.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #19
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
Wanna bet that the 420ml spec Meat followed for the 48mm fork is actually the spec for the 43mm?

That is not a spec, that is KTM's attempt to give you an idea how much oil you might need to get the height in their tuning range. And it is wrong - purchase about 600mm for each leg (4860 model forks) and you will be able to get into the tuning range.

dag's 43mm forks should need less volume to get into the tuning range as he found.

meat popsicle screwed with this post 03-09-2009 at 09:02 AM
Old 03-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #20
Zerodog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Quote:

The 43s take quite a bit less oil than the 48s. If I remember right it is less than 500ccs. 48s take about 620ccs of oil to get close to 120mm.

With the 43s you need to run between 120mm and 130mm. If you go too low. Which you have by dumping 100ccs out it will cavitate and ride like shit. So...
-What oil brand and weight did you use? You should be using 5wt.
-Have you tightened your triple clamps to the CORRECT torque? VERY IMPORTANT!!! with USD forks. If you can't find the spec use this. 11ft lbs for the lower clamp 15 for the top.

Oil level is critical to getting a good ride. To high and you will suffer on small bumps and miss out on inches of travel. Too low and you will bottom really easy. Way too low and your fork will cavitate and have inconsistent damping. This can be dangerous offroad. Measure oil with the fork and cartridge collapsed and the springs out. From the outer aluminum tube down to the oil. That is the only consistent way to measure oil height

Unless you weigh 90lbs there is no way the stock springs on any LC4 are too stiff. You have problems with something not moving correctly.
Zerodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:24 AM   #21
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodog
The 43s take quite a bit less oil than the 48s. If I remember right it is less than 500ccs. 48s take about 620ccs of oil to get close to 120mm.

With the 43s you need to run between 120mm and 130mm. If you go too low. Which you have by dumping 100ccs out it will cavitate and ride like shit. So...
-What oil brand and weight did you use? You should be using 5wt.
-Have you tightened your triple clamps to the CORRECT torque? VERY IMPORTANT!!! with USD forks. If you can't find the spec use this. 11ft lbs for the lower clamp 15 for the top.

Oil level is critical to getting a good ride. To high and you will suffer on small bumps and miss out on inches of travel. Too low and you will bottom really easy. Way too low and your fork will cavitate and have inconsistent damping. This can be dangerous offroad. Measure oil with the fork and cartridge collapsed and the springs out. From the outer aluminum tube down to the oil. That is the only consistent way to measure oil height

Unless you weigh 90lbs there is no way the stock springs on any LC4 are too stiff. You have problems with something not moving correctly.
ug. again. I really didn't want to pull the springs out again. I'm at 400 ml. of oil. I'll get the rest of the bike put back together tonight and go flog it. adjust the damping and rebound and see whats it's like. I definitely don't baby it so it does seem like I have lost about half the travel. I'll check the torque on the lower clamps also.

thanks.

oh it's half Royal Purple atf 5.0 and half castrol?2.5 fork oil. I was recommended this in another thread somewhere.(along time ago) everyone? said the WP valving don't like 5.0 or thicker so trying to get inbetween is mixing viscosity.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:58 AM   #22
Zerodog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
MIX OIL BRANDS?? That could be bad news. You could have made cottage cheese or something in your forks? Some oils do not play well together. At least that is what I have heard, so I don't do it.

5wt is good. 2wt is pretty damn light for the stock valving of any 43mm fork I have worked on. They are set up LIGHT. 400ccs is probably too low. The only real way to measure and know for sure is the top down measurement I mentioned.

Set your clickers like this to start with
Rebound 16 out from full shut
Compression 15 out from full shut

Check your torque, and make sure you clamped your axle the correct way! You can really mess it up with the axle too.
Zerodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #23
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
ug. again. I really didn't want to pull the springs out again. ...
One of my fork seals was dirty and before I could clean it with the business card trick it leaked some unspecified amount... so I too have to pull my springs to get it right. Although it does make me smile every time I am given a business card now - something to clean my fork seals with!

Didn't find any royal purple fork oil thread with mixing easily.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #24
paddyhannen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Eh? lc4 upgrade forks

Gda boys and bmw riders,
The mighty lc4 ( some people say is invincible)
is a little bit vincible.
Freshwater creek on beach plus $1 or 60mph for the imperial boys plus
=
damage=
vincible.
quite vincible it seems.
since then ive found=
2 dead triple clamps
dead stock bearings
dead triple clamp nut
very dead front HUB
dead disc
very dead fork stauncheons
probably dead swingarm
2 folded radiators from impact.
sooo, =
new triples and assorted paraphenalia, fitted new damper and top triple from rallemoto ( MSC Titan) which is truly awesome but is set up for later forks than mine and is interchangeable btwn the 640/950/990 so its 53mmish not 50.
what can i replace my forks with to suit within the confines of normal budget that will be at home with the whoops as current? what are the big girls running?

im sure someone knose. sharing is caring.
cheers.
pads
paddyhannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #25
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,224
525 forks resprung ... and some of you aussies sure have the prose down..
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:41 AM   #26
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyhannen

fitted new damper and top triple from rallemoto ( MSC Titan) which is truly awesome but is set up for later forks than mine and is interchangeable btwn the 640/950/990 so its 53mmish not 50.

what can i replace my forks with to suit within the confines of normal budget that will be at home with the whoops as current? ...
If'n I follow yer Australish, you bought triples for 53mm forks - but your forks are 50mm - and you want to know what decent yet cheap forks you can buy that are 53mm eh?

ps - this is a how-to service forks thread not how-to buy forks; prolly was the first fork thread in the index eh?
Old 12-13-2009, 12:07 AM   #27
Frougby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
Great thread Meat P
Frougby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:07 AM   #28
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frougby
Great thread Meat P
Yay, someone used it!

I had to take a peek - it had been awhile - and my own thread reminded me of some stuff. I wish I had a garage this winter...
Old 03-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #29
jamesdemien
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Meat-
where did you get that fancy orange tool?

Also, does it fit the cap? and do you know what size the cap bolt is.

I'm following your guide next week to refill my forks.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:40 PM   #30
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,792
Made by Zdog at Infinity Machine and Design.

http://www.infinitymachineanddesign.com/

Not sure if he sells them or what but I have one.
It works well.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote