Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2011, 06:57 AM   #286
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
Specifically, will the exhaust (muffler only) from an '86 KLR600 fit a '98 KLR250? I looked up the parts diagram and they look the same, although the parts numbers are different. I'm wondering if an aftermarket DG exhaust for the 600 i saw cheap will fit my 250. The bikes look very similar. What's different besides head and displacement?
Body work is different, things that mount on frame, carb, maybe other things. Oil filter and brake pads are the same, rotor bolt, maybe other things. Same thing with the KLR650.

Quote:
If the bends are right and the mounting holes line up it seems like it would work. Anybody seen this?
Haven't seen it but your logic is sound. And if the mounting holes don't line up you can always get a universal muffler clamp/hanger/strap like this.

Quote:
Alternatively, is there any power gain from removing the baffle from a stock 250 muffler, or does it just make it louder?
Just louder I would think. Biggest power gain for a 250 is to throw some Kawi Mojave or 1985-86 KLR250 cams on (linky) for $205. Going with the stock profile you would get at least another 5 hp (23->28).
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:11 AM   #287
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by

Just louder I would think. Biggest power gain for a 250 is to throw some Kawi Mojave or 1985-86 KLR250 cams on ([URL="http://www.cycleworksracing.net/mojave.htm"
linky[/URL]) for $205. Going with the stock profile you would get at least another 5 hp (23->28).
thanks for the link! These guys aren't far from me. Maybe I'll take a ride up there.
MotoJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:16 AM   #288
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Quote:
thanks for the link! These guys aren't far from me. Maybe I'll take a ride up there.
Cool beans. See if they have any dyno runs/numbers with the different cams, curious on the power gain options.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:34 AM   #289
trailhiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
with slidely modification on the steeringlock the complete fork from the 600 (thicker ,better fixed with four bolts at the top and 1 inch longer) fit to the 250. as seen on my KLR250.

my skidplate buildup picturetread,it is weld from 2mm ironplate.

trailhiker screwed with this post 08-28-2011 at 05:19 AM
trailhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:29 AM   #290
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,546
Most artistic and seriously-functional looking bash plate!

Flat enough in front for a sturdy tool tube mount, if desired.

Excellent workmanship; design shields water pump housing and plumbing; most important when KLR650 meets rock!
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:21 AM   #291
trailhiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
i build this only for my needs to protect the waterpump and maximum of the case without come in trouble to operate the bike,the KLR was sell here only till 2000 and no one sells here a though skid for the 250 because the model is to old!
trailhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:11 PM   #292
Rainier_runner
Epic Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Ride report on my KLR 250

A link to my ride report I wrote up about my trip to Mt St Helens on my baby KLR.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720373

My 1st attempt at a ride report, and my 1st attempt at posting a link. I'm hoping it works.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:10 PM   #293
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier_runner View Post
A link to my ride report I wrote up about my trip to Mt St Helens on my baby KLR.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720373

My 1st attempt at a ride report, and my 1st attempt at posting a link. I'm hoping it works.
Everything works as advertised. What's the luggage rack?
Old 08-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #294
Nightfall
Disco-Trash

Oddometer: 144
So, fork PSI .... I adjusted mine today and holy crap on a stick batman, they take air fast as shit! So I accidentally got them up to 40+ PSI in each leg then I let the air down as quick as possible (recommended max is 35 PSI) and finally I got them where I wanted them 14-15 PSI. So, think any permanent damage has been done to my seals? They're holding the air no problem.

- '01 KLR 250
Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #295
Rainier_runner
Epic Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post
Everything works as advertised. What's the luggage rack?

Ummm... Your gonna laugh at me. It's a cutting board I cut up, modified, and painted with bed liner in a can. Mounts where factory tool bag mounted. Then I bolted on the Wolfman Enduro tool bag, and put eye bolts on all 4 corners. The only things left to do are paint the hardware black to match, and touch up the bedliner where I've modified a few spots. Sounds kind of ghetto, but it has worked out real well and was low budget. Think I have between 20 and 25 buck into the cutting board, hardware, and bed liner. I guess if anybody is interested let me know and I can take some pics of the different angles and what it looks like up close. And if you think it's as ghetto as it sounds, let the s#!t flipping begin!
Old 08-28-2011, 09:45 PM   #296
DrMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
My KLR

Got this '00 model with 2800 miles on it earlier this year. Needed lots of small/easy things - mirrors, levers, carb clean, brake rebuild, tires. Just upgraded springs front and rear and added rack and box to make a nice urban commuter. Takes me back to the KE125 that was my high school ride.
Attached Images

DrMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:30 AM   #297
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier_runner View Post
Ummm... Your gonna laugh at me. It's a cutting board I cut up, modified, and painted with bed liner in a can. Mounts where factory tool bag mounted. Then I bolted on the Wolfman Enduro tool bag, and put eye bolts on all 4 corners. The only things left to do are paint the hardware black to match, and touch up the bedliner where I've modified a few spots. Sounds kind of ghetto, but it has worked out real well and was low budget. Think I have between 20 and 25 buck into the cutting board, hardware, and bed liner. I guess if anybody is interested let me know and I can take some pics of the different angles and what it looks like up close. And if you think it's as ghetto as it sounds, let the s#!t flipping begin!
Sounds like a KLR owner to me.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:08 AM   #298
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 912
Well, that was fast...

Yesterday took my just purchased '98 for a shakedown ride after new tires, tubes, oil and filter, Unifilter, and valve adjustment. Was out for about four hours with a pal on all our favorite twisties. She ran like snot and I was sure I had my new favorite bike. I had just got the temp tag Thursday and was going to take her for inspection tomorrow.

This morning- gone-stolen! Baltimore sucks.
MotoJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:40 AM   #299
Jeremiah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Sucks!

Sorry to hear that your bike is gone . Let the ADV world know - any pics of the bike? Someone will see it - the more details the better the chance.
GL1800
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:17 AM   #300
vatrader01
vatrader01

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
So, fork PSI .... I adjusted mine today and holy crap on a stick batman, they take air fast as shit! So I accidentally got them up to 40+ PSI in each leg then I let the air down as quick as possible (recommended max is 35 PSI) and finally I got them where I wanted them 14-15 PSI. So, think any permanent damage has been done to my seals? They're holding the air no problem.
I predict you'll be fine. I find that about 8 pounds works best for me. Any more air than that, and I may as well go with a rigid fork setup.

The seal can't go anywhere with the retainer in place. It will blow. or it won't. If you wanted to blow the seals out to change them, it frequently takes 80 pounds or more to get the job done.

West Virginia Tag-O-Rama Map
vatrader01 is offline   Reply With Quote