Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #301
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,179
Baltimore- lookout for stolen klr250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
Sorry to hear that your bike is gone . Let the ADV world know - any pics of the bike? Someone will see it - the more details the better the chance.
Good idea- I've posted all over. Wish I could get my baby on a milk carton...

Boosted from in front of my house in North Baltimore- '98 KLR250, tag beginning with D81...
New tires, freshly painted exhaust system, new blue bars w/white grips, dings on top and left side of tank,
stickers on fork sliders. The handguards have been removed.

I only got to ride it ONCE!

MotoJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:53 PM   #302
Nightfall
Disco-Trash

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoto View Post
Got this '00 model with 2800 miles on it earlier this year. Needed lots of small/easy things - mirrors, levers, carb clean, brake rebuild, tires. Just upgraded springs front and rear and added rack and box to make a nice urban commuter. Takes me back to the KE125 that was my high school ride.
Nice bike, what kind of tires are those? They look perfect for my type of riding ( 90% on road, offroad consisting of sand/lime rock roads, light trail duty). I know it'd get a little loose in the sandy bits but that perfectly fine, that's what the right grip is for! lol

- '01 KLR 250
Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #303
Nightfall
Disco-Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
Yesterday took my just purchased '98 for a shakedown ride after new tires, tubes, oil and filter, Unifilter, and valve adjustment. Was out for about four hours with a pal on all our favorite twisties. She ran like snot and I was sure I had my new favorite bike. I had just got the temp tag Thursday and was going to take her for inspection tomorrow.

This morning- gone-stolen! Baltimore sucks.
Sorry to hear this, I hope you get it back, thieves recently stole my pals Ninja 250, months later police found it.

- '01 KLR 250
Old 08-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #304
Nightfall
Disco-Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatrader01 View Post
I predict you'll be fine. I find that about 8 pounds works best for me. Any more air than that, and I may as well go with a rigid fork setup.

The seal can't go anywhere with the retainer in place. It will blow. or it won't. If you wanted to blow the seals out to change them, it frequently takes 80 pounds or more to get the job done.
Yeah I don't think I messed anything up because they are still quite rigid, thanks for the info. I'm 195 pounds without gear and the fork is still very rigid even at 15 PSI, I think I need to take them down to 10 because they don't really soak up bumps on the road.

- '01 KLR 250
Old 08-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #305
Rainier_runner
Epic Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Skid Plate

If anybody is in the market for a skid plate, and is considering the Utah Sport Cycle Ricochet plate, http://www.utahsportcycle.com/store/page145.html , you can use the discount code: ATVMAG25 for a 10% off discount. Just letting the KLR250 community know!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:00 PM   #306
Rainier_runner
Epic Adventurer

By the way, I ordered mine as of about 10 minutes ago. And will make sure to get pics when I get it. Before, during and after the installation.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:53 PM   #307
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier_runner View Post
If anybody is in the market for a skid plate, and is considering the Utah Sport Cycle Ricochet plate, http://www.utahsportcycle.com/store/page145.html , you can use the discount code: ATVMAG25 for a 10% off discount. Just letting the KLR250 community know!
$85 plus discount ain't bad for a 4mm skid plate.
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:07 PM   #308
Rainier_runner
Epic Adventurer

Pro Taper SE's?

Looking for everyone's experience with the Pro taper SE bars..? And more importantly, what is the tallest bars you can run on a KLR 250 without having to modify any of the wiring, cables, etc? Any input is greatly appreciated, and pics of them on your bike would be even better. Thanks!
Old 08-31-2011, 07:13 PM   #309
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

My bike was recovered!

The police called me this morning and told me I could pick up my bike at the impound lot across town. It was found only a mile from my house, but if they don't tow it, they can't charge me $130, like they did. Anyway, I'm glad to have it back! The thieves seem to have lacked any mechanical savvy. They were handy with the channel locks, hammer, screwdriver, and knife, however.

The locks were punched with a screwdriver. the ignition lock casting was all chewed up by channel locks or vice grips or something. The tank lock is hollow now. Still won't open.

Fairing is gone. Speedo cable is snapped. Meter mounts are broken, wires cut.
Tank is more dented than it was. Seat tab broken where they tried to pry the seat off.

Both brand new Shinko 244s and tubes knifed, just for fun.

Both grips are gone and the throttle tube half cracked off. Huh? Brake lever snapped. MC cylinder leaking fluid. Mirrors are gone. How could they see if cops were chasing them with no mirrors?

This one really kills me- the rear bag, deck, and original toolkit are gone. The thieves thoughtfully replaced the screws back in the holes, though. Hey, KLR Jr.- IS THAT A TATTOO?!

Plus random scratches everywhere.

It can all be made right, thankfully. No engine damage that I know of.
So, anyone holding a fairing and/or tool bag and toolkit? Also, what's the deal with the tank lock? Is there a safety switch attached to that, or can I just by a new lock cylinder?

MotoJ screwed with this post 09-01-2011 at 05:52 AM
Old 09-01-2011, 06:20 AM   #310
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,455
Quote:
The police called me this morning and told me I could pick up my bike at the impound lot across town. It was found only a mile from my house, but if they don't tow it, they can't charge me $130, like they did. Anyway, I'm glad to have it back! The thieves seem to have lacked any mechanical savvy. They were handy with the channel locks, hammer, screwdriver, and knife, however.
Glad you got it back, sucks they went over it for spite. Assume no arrest and no leads?

Quote:
Also, what's the deal with the tank lock? Is there a safety switch attached to that, or can I just by a new lock cylinder?
Need a key or locksmith to open it cause you get at the innards from the rear. You can then either put a new lock cylinder in or get a new cap on eBay, whichever is cheaper. You'll probably need to do the same with the ignition lock, but that assembly unbolts from the rear (no key needed). I went through the same deal when I got my bike (ignition was jacked and no key for tank). If you do get a mismatched ignition and tank cylinders a good locksmith can rekey them alike. Or put a bypass switch on the ignition wires, but it shouldn't cost more than $40 for a "new" ignition cylinder. Both gas cap and ignition are the same for all KLR250 years.
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!

newcastleadam screwed with this post 09-01-2011 at 06:26 AM
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:42 AM   #311
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,971
MotoJ, any comprehensive coverage insurance?

Let us know how you make out.

We're talking money, but . . . the KLR250's only been out of US marketing since 2005; OEM spares should be available from your friendly local Kawasaki dealer.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:49 AM   #312
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

With my luck?

[QUOTE=XDragRacer;16761396]MotoJ, any comprehensive coverage insurance?

Of course not! That would have been prudent!

Let us know how you make out.

We're talking money, but . . . the KLR250's only been out of US marketing since 2005; OEM spares should be available from your friendly local Kawasaki dealer.[

I'll be refurbing this bike strictly through Ebay and other sources, except for tires, of course. Tank cylinder may have to be an OEM part.

/QUOTE]
Old 09-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #313
Nightfall
Disco-Trash

People like that should be shot square in the forehead, what use does the world have for them, really? Glad to hear you got it back, the damage is depressing however.

- '01 KLR 250
Old 09-01-2011, 07:37 PM   #314
DrMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
tires, etc.

Somebody asked about the tires on my two-fiddy (shown a page back): Pirelli Scorpion Trail Dual Sport.

I've got about 2k on them so far. I like them for riding around town.

This past weekend I added progressive springs to the forks, and a Top Gun spring for the rear. Nice improvement on both counts. The OEM rear spring was really soft.
DrMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #315
DrMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Headlight

I did my first nighttime ride on the klr250 a week or so ago and found the headlight rather lacking. Manual says it is a 35W bulb. Is the electric output and wiring up to the task of a 55W bulb?

Edit: Not sure where I got the idea that the bike came with a 35W bulb. Manual says 55/60W, and that is indeed what is in there.
DrMoto is offline   Reply With Quote