User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #691
elvisabeth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
2004 Kawasaki 250 KLR saddlebags

Suggestions, PLEASE: Saddlebags for my bike (2004 Kawasaki 250 KLR) I am especially interested in soft bags that don't require rack, but will consider rack if necessary. Must be affordable! Waterproof a big bonus.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #692
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisabeth View Post
Suggestions, PLEASE: Saddlebags for my bike (2004 Kawasaki 250 KLR) I am especially interested in soft bags that don't require rack, but will consider rack if necessary. Must be affordable! Waterproof a big bonus.
Check out the Wolfman stuff. The quality is first class and customer service is great. I understand that their vendors sell the equipment for a little less than the factory. I have two of their bags, so far, one of them waterproof. The Enduro tank bag isn't waterproof but will fit perfectly on your tank. The small Expedition bag is waterproof and more expensive and will also fit your tank.
Once in a while the Wolfman gear shows up in the Fleamarket.
http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/
Old 09-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #693
elvisabeth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Check out the Wolfman stuff.
http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/
Thanks so much! I'm thinking: E-12 Enduro Saddle Bags, but will consider other options from anyone who has suggestions.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #694
Rainier_runner
Epic Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Thanks so much! I'm thinking: E-12 Enduro Saddle Bags, but will consider other options from anyone who has suggestions.
My own pics of all the Wolfman Enduro luggage at work on my KLR 250. No racks.

Saddle bags, tank bag, fender bag, saddle bag duffle, tool bag, and number plate bag.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #695
MrBob
Jambo!

Quote:
It looks like they'd clear your foot on the kick starter, which is helpful. I know a local KLM rider who loves his.
For years I've lined my touring bags with garbage bags and pack inside of them. No leaks yet and this includes a week of hard rain in Newfoundland.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #696
MrBob
Jambo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier_runner View Post
Nice minimalist setup. Do you get much front fender flex with that tool bag on there?
I bought the small Wolfman Rolie bag and recently installed it in place of my stock tool bag to hold my greatly expanded tool kit. I also have a 60.00 eBay rear rack that comes in pretty handy. The Seat Concepts seat and fleece cover are life savers for me. My old Tourmaster bags won't clear the kick starter so I'm in the market for bags like yours.
When I rebuilt the front caliper I added a steel braided line and have since added bigger pegs.
Yesterday I adjusted the valves and re-jetted for a noticeable increase in power.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #697
Rainier_runner
Epic Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Nice minimalist setup. Do you get much front fender flex with that tool bag on there?
I bought the small Wolfman Rolie bag and recently installed it in place of my stock tool bag to hold my greatly expanded tool kit. I also have a 60.00 eBay rear rack that comes in pretty handy. The Seat Concepts seat and fleece cover are life savers for me. My old Tourmaster bags won't clear the kick starter so I'm in the market for bags like yours.
When I rebuilt the front caliper I added a steel braided line and have since added bigger pegs.
Yesterday I adjusted the valves and re-jetted for a noticeable increase in power.
The front fender doesn't flex much, if any at all. I've got front and rear spare tubes and tire irons in there. Works well for me. Since taking this pic, I've built a rear rack using a $12 cutting board, with eye bolts in the corners for tying down gear. It really helped to move everything back 8-10 inches, keeping seat space more open. I use a sheep skin usually, but have strongly been considering that seat concepts. Got one on my DR 650 and love it.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #698
MrBob
Jambo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier_runner View Post
The front fender doesn't flex much, if any at all. I've got front and rear spare tubes and tire irons in there. Works well for me. Since taking this pic, I've built a rear rack using a $12 cutting board, with eye bolts in the corners for tying down gear. It really helped to move everything back 8-10 inches, keeping seat space more open. I use a sheep skin usually, but have strongly been considering that seat concepts. Got one on my DR 650 and love it.
Is that a stock muffler? If not, how does the noise level compare to stock? Have you done any work on the jets? I live at 5,000 feet and only go up from there so I've been in the carb twice but I think I got it now.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #699
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,745
Quote:
Cyclerack, with Cyclerack pannier set, including saddle bags, top case, and accessory auxiliary 1.25-gallon fuel container (luggage switches seamlessly between KLR650 and KLR250, each equipped with Cyclerack):

Survived Cat Herder's Campout 2012, plus Great Deluge of 2012 in transit!

Cyclerack itself is rather robust; none ever reported broken in service, lifetime guarantee in the unlikely event of a failure. http://www.cycleracks.com (No financial interest.)

XDragRacer screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 05:30 PM
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #700
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,247
Dirt Bagz Ranger Paniers on their frames. They are not waterproof so you need to resolve that with plastic bags or, as I did, Outdoor Research Lightweight Dry Bags. My riding bud has Wolfeman gear but I needed more space. As you can see, I DO bring the kitchen sink!

8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:13 PM   #701
DangerousJohnson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
First valve adjustment -- locknuts extremely tight

Hey All!

I bought a new-to-me 2002 KLR 250 earlier in the summer. (Will do a little introductory post with photos soonish.)

I've put around 1000 miles on it so far, bringing the mileage to 9400. Loads of fun!

However, the time has come for some maintenance... I started in on the valve adjustment this afternoon. I got everything disassembled according to the instructions on the KLR 250 Information Exchange website. Which went surprisingly smoothly and ended with my peering deeper into the innards of an engine than I've ever peered before.

The valves are very tight way off spec. I tried to loosen the locknuts so that I can adjust the valves, but the locknuts wouldn't budge. I stopped applying pressure because I was afraid any more force might cause the nut to loosen catastrophically and send my wrench or hand into the engine to do some damage.

Are there any tricks, tips, or techniques you've discovered to deal with this scenario? Or should I get the locknuts off by any means necessary (e.g. pliers or vice grips) and just replace them?

Thanks!!
DangerousJohnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #702
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,745
Are you certain you rotated the crankshaft to the CORRECT TDC position?

Not trying to insult your intelligence, but . . . each four-cycle engine has TWO TDC piston positions each cycle; one between compression and power strokes (THAT'S the one where you adjust your valves), and one between exhaust and intake strokes (little or no valve clearance may exist, here, even on a properly-adjusted engine).

From your description, you may be at the wrong TDC position to adjust valve clearance properly.

INDICATORS: ALL VALVES are COMPLETELY CLOSED, at TDC between compression and power strokes. Removing the spark plug, and rotating the engine in the direction of operation produces air gushing from the spark plug hole on the compression stroke.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #703
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Here's a few pictures of my luggage setup on my klr250. Dirt-Bagz ranger model, non waterproof on my homemade racks out of some 7/16 steel round bar. Wolfman small expedition tank bag and front fender tool pouch. The rear rack is another homemade project topped off with my sleeping bag and tent. This setup worked great for my 1,600+ mile ride last fall. I normally don't ride the bike with the dirt-bagz on it only for long trips. The tank bag, fender bag and rear rack are always on it.

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #704
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

You need a torque wrench to tighten things up when you're done. I suggest that you use a 6 point socket and the torque wrench, set for the appropriate torque setting, to loosen the lock nuts. When the wrench clicks you should need only a little more pressure to loosen them. It's long enough to give you good leverage and the click will give you confidence in wrenching it hard enough.

Ditto on the above comments by XDragRacer. Another common error is to turn the crankshaft the wrong way. Follow the instructions E X A C T L Y.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #705
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994klr250 View Post

Nice set...needs more kitchen sink though