User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #706
rube
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
CycleRacks opinions

I like the looks of the cycleracks klr250 rack but wanted to ask for feedback from people who have one.

I want to put a top box of some kind (action packer or tough tote) on the bike because I use it to commute and don't like wearing a backpack all the time.

Any problems with fit? It looks like it touches the plastic side panels on the KLR250, which I guess just means that you have to loosen the rack to get to the battery or air filter.

How much weight have you put on it or do you figure it can handle?

Anyone else prefer another rack?

Thanks,

rube
rube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #707
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,449
Another inmate posted a walkthrough on modding a 650 luggage rack on a 250, basically cut a strip down the middle to fit a smaller width. Currently traveling and don't have it in front, but does turn up on a Google search.

Best,
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:15 AM   #708
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by rube View Post
I like the looks of the cycleracks klr250 rack but wanted to ask for feedback from people who have one.

I want to put a top box of some kind (action packer or tough tote) on the bike because I use it to commute and don't like wearing a backpack all the time.

Any problems with fit? It looks like it touches the plastic side panels on the KLR250, which I guess just means that you have to loosen the rack to get to the battery or air filter.
No fitment problems; rack does not touch plastic when mounted; some manipulation required to remove/install plastic side panels, but full access to battery and air filter exists.

Cyclerack on KLR250 with Cyclerack pannier set and top case, auxiliary fuel container:

Quote:

How much weight have you put on it or do you figure it can handle?
Product was designed to haul elk or moose quaters; I'd say 200 pounds a conservative weight limit. None ever broken in service, lifetime guaranteed, regardless.
Quote:

Anyone else prefer another rack?
I'd think many do, for compactness and lighter weight. Yet, Kawasaki accessory rack costs about the same as a Cyclerack and is rated at five (5) pounds, as I recall. Depends upon your application; if you're interested in a rack capable of carrying 200 pounds, you might consider a Cyclerack.

I have Cycleracks on both KLR250 and KLR650; pannier set switches seamlessly between the two.

KLR650 application:

XDragRacer screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 06:24 AM
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #709
DangerousJohnson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Are you certain you rotated the crankshaft to the CORRECT TDC position?

Not trying to insult your intelligence, but . . . each four-cycle engine has TWO TDC piston positions each cycle; one between compression and power strokes (THAT'S the one where you adjust your valves), and one between exhaust and intake strokes (little or no valve clearance may exist, here, even on a properly-adjusted engine).

From your description, you may be at the wrong TDC position to adjust valve clearance properly.

INDICATORS: ALL VALVES are COMPLETELY CLOSED, at TDC between compression and power strokes. Removing the spark plug, and rotating the engine in the direction of operation produces air gushing from the spark plug hole on the compression stroke.

@XDragRacer: Thanks!!

I was, in fact, looking at the wrong TDC position. I didn't know there were two positions. The KLR info exchange site didn't convey that, or perhaps took for granted that readers would have more knowledge of engines than I currently possess.

My intelligence is not insulted in the least. As I said, this is the first time I've opened up an engine and poked around inside. Still plenty to learn...
DangerousJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #710
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousJohnson View Post
@XDragRacer: Thanks!!

I was, in fact, looking at the wrong TDC position. I didn't know there were two positions. The KLR info exchange site didn't convey that, or perhaps took for granted that readers would have more knowledge of engines than I currently possess.

My intelligence is not insulted in the least. As I said, this is the first time I've opened up an engine and poked around inside. Still plenty to learn...
Au contraire, Dangerous Johnson, thank YOU for acknowledging the value of the advice!

Glad you got things sorted out. Lock nuts should be easier to loosen with no stress on the adjusting screws.

A couple of confessions/tips; I don't use a torque wrench when cinching down the lock nuts; I do it by the "Braile" method, by feel, taking care not to strip out anything. That's my confession, now the tip: Check the clearance AFTER you tighten the lock nuts. Sometimes the screws have a tendency to follow, slightly, the lock nut as it is tightened, reducing clearance. When this occurs, you may have to adjust the clearance slightly greater than your feeler gauge tells you to, so when the assembly is tightened, you have the final clearance you desire.

You have my respect for performing your own tuning; you're learning life-long skills!
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #711
DangerousJohnson
Adventurer

Thanks, XDragRacer!

Learning to do this work has definitely been an adventure. Always fun to learn new things (and save $ in the process).
Old 09-21-2012, 05:35 AM   #712
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,248
Your screen name has me wondering....
Are you the guy who has been in the news? The one who the TSA has been hassling?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #713
DangerousJohnson
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Your screen name has me wondering....
Are you the guy who has been in the news? The one who the TSA has been hassling?
I've definitely not been in the news lately...
Old 09-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #714
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 761
Installed the homemade wind deflectors, I cut these out of an old truck bedliner.
Took it for a ride and they work great, these along with the heated grips will make winter riding a pleasure.

beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #715
rube
Adventurer

Heated grips?

I like the hand guards. I made similar guards for a couple of my bikes with pieces of 5 gallon pails for the plastic.
It is suppose to be in the 40s for my commute tomorrow. I was looking at the electric vest in the closet and wondering if the klr250 could handle a vest and or grips.
Anyone have electrical problems when running heated grips or an electric vest?

Thanks,

rube
Old 09-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #716
beeper
Badger tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rube View Post
I like the hand guards. I made similar guards for a couple of my bikes with pieces of 5 gallon pails for the plastic.
It is suppose to be in the 40s for my commute tomorrow. I was looking at the electric vest in the closet and wondering if the klr250 could handle a vest and or grips.
Anyone have electrical problems when running heated grips or an electric vest?

Thanks,

rube

Both might be to much for the 250's charging system. Grips are the must have for me.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #717
rube
Adventurer

Electric vest

I tried the electric vest on the way into work this am. I'm not sure what the wattage of the vest is but the bike seemed to do fine for the half hour or so I rode with it on.
The extra heat was nice!

rube
Old 09-26-2012, 04:24 AM   #718
handyman1018
way up firm and high

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeper View Post
Installed the homemade wind deflectors, I cut these out of an old truck bedliner.
Took it for a ride and they work great, these along with the heated grips will make winter riding a pleasure.

I like the look of this. Would you have any photos from behind the guard. Any details on the brace? Thanks.
handyman1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #719
rununix
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Tool set.

MrBob's KLR250 is now mine. I was wondering if anyone can share a list of tools you carry on your KLR for long distance rides, besides the ones provided in original toolset(unless they are just too hard to use). Please list the brands if you can. I am a beginner and just starting to stock my tool set. http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/icon10.gif
rununix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #720
beeper
Badger tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman1018 View Post
I like the look of this. Would you have any photos from behind the guard. Any details on the brace? Thanks.

$29.99 Trackside Aluminum Handguards from Cyclegear.
This pic was taken during the initial mock-up, hence the mess.