Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2009, 03:34 PM   #61
tirefoamcan
not n00b

Oddometer: 18
There is no sleeve that can be bought that I could find, but there is a sleeve on the gear. I found a used gear on ebay, we will see if it is any better. I am hoping it is not the shaft. I think the shaft is part of the transmission which would get expensive to replace.
tirefoamcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:15 PM   #62
tirefoamcan
not n00b

Oddometer: 18
The bike is running today! I was able to take it down the street a bit. The carb was very dirty, and still needs to be cleaned a bit more. The idle air screw was pretty dirty, bad enough were it was bottomed out! Had to reset it to 1 3/4 turns back from the get go. The valves need some adjustment, but all in all it seems to work!

The gear I ended up getting was still a bit loose, so I put an extra shim in there, and it kicks over much better. I'll have to look into getting a new gear, though. I'm worried that extra shim may cause the shaft to break.
tirefoamcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:53 PM   #63
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,977

Just FYI, here's the source for the tool bag front fork bracket and Mini Cargo Deck shown:

http://www.klr-250.com/products.htm

XDragRacer screwed with this post 11-22-2009 at 09:07 PM
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #64
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,251
Thanks for the thread info fellas. I found a 1880mi. 04 for $1700 that I'm going to check out tomorrow. I really wanted a bigger bike but the banker says "nada-nuf$". Anyway, after having a XT350 this should be similar in power and handling.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:22 AM   #65
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat
Thanks for the thread info fellas. I found a 1880mi. 04 for $1700 that I'm going to check out tomorrow. I really wanted a bigger bike but the banker says "nada-nuf$". Anyway, after having a XT350 this should be similar in power and handling.
I checked it out and its a very nice bike for a very nice price. It also has a FMF can. I passed because I really need a bigger DS. Check out the GR Mich Craigs.

exoff-roadgoat screwed with this post 12-08-2009 at 10:39 AM
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:24 PM   #66
Quick5pnt0
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
With all the KLR250s that were made over the years you'd think this thread would be a little more lively.

Here is my '87 KLR. I bought it around October from a guy on ebay. I got a good deal on it but it had been sitting for a while and wasn't in running condition. Since buying it I've stripped the paint off the tank and used electrolysis to get rid of the rust. Then I painted it flat black to hopefully hide some of the dents and dings. To get it running I had to strip the carb down twice and adjust the valves. Then I gave everything a once over including new mobil 1 synthetic oil and filter, new fork oil, flushed/bled brake fluid, new Uni air filter, high temp flat black paint on the exhaust silencer, fixed the zillion electrical bugs it had, etc etc etc. It came with a beat up spare seat that I cut down slightly and recovered with a cheap vinyl. I'm probably going to take the seat that was on it and recover it with a better vinyl at some point.

Anyway here she is after all the work...

Rear...

...and finally my custom made vinyl number plates. I wasn't sure if I wanted to put the bike name on here or what so I decided to just leave them plain black. Considering the shape this bike was in when I got her I think she looks great. Stupidly I didn't take any photos of it before all the work.

Future mods/work? It really needs new handlebars, and chain so those will probably be the next upgrades. Then I'd like to get a stainless brake line for it and in the long run I'd love to do a klr650 front brake conversion. I tend to do the usual jet kit and aftermarket exhaust mods on all my bikes/quads but I don't think I'm going to mess with this one...or at least that's the current plan...LOL

Quick5pnt0 screwed with this post 01-22-2010 at 09:31 PM
Quick5pnt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:53 PM   #67
dfc
Reluctant Cannonball

Oddometer: 2,756
KLR250 rear suspension

I am working on my "new to me" '86 250. Here is a shot of the swingarm inverted. there appears to be a large amount of play in the linkage. None of the fiche or manuals show a missing spacer, anybody care to take a look at their linkage for a comparison?

Old 01-31-2010, 06:08 PM   #68
Timmy2Wheels
Let's Eat Some Dirt

Oddometer: 1
First Post

Hey, I just joined this site. It's great. Last fall I bought an '04 KLR 250 with only 1,500 miles on it. It's a friggin brand new bike! Looks fantastic and runs even better. I've been wanting a little dual sport for some time and when I found this one, originally on Ebay but bought after the seller did not get his minimum bid, I jumped on it. Anyway, the bike is parked until spring (Vermont aint too condusive to winter riding). I'll be looking for a tank bag and some sort of rear rack to carry stuff. Any suggestions for these things. Thanks, and I can't wait to get back on that little two-fiddy.
Timmy2Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #69
Quick5pnt0
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc
I am working on my "new to me" '86 250. Here is a shot of the swingarm inverted. there appears to be a large amount of play in the linkage. None of the fiche or manuals show a missing spacer, anybody care to take a look at their linkage for a comparison?

I just looked at my '87 and it seems to have the same space as the one you posted, maybe a little less. However I can't say whether that is just normal or that both of our bikes linkages are worn in some way. With it on the bike with everything in place it has no noticable play when trying to rock it back and forth.
Quick5pnt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #70
dfc
Reluctant Cannonball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick5pnt0
I just looked at my '87 and it seems to have the same space as the one you posted, maybe a little less. However I can't say whether that is just normal or that both of our bikes linkages are worn in some way. With it on the bike with everything in place it has no noticable play when trying to rock it back and forth.
Thanks for checking, I have a guy in town who has one and I am checking with him as well. I have it all disassembled to check bearings (all fine btw) and I have tried to reassemble it differently and I cant get it to work so maybe "they all do that"
Old 02-05-2010, 10:09 PM   #71
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy2Wheels
I'll be looking for a tank bag and some sort of rear rack to carry stuff. Any suggestions for these things.
Joe Rocket magnetic tank bag and Cycleracks rear rack shown:

XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:10 AM   #72
dfc
Reluctant Cannonball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValveCrusher
Your linkage is installed incorrectly. I had to double check my '86 before i posted up, but i was pretty sure, just by looking at your picture.

Both of the dogbones are inverted on your swingarm.
If you flip them, you should have alot better fitment. (I'm not talking about changing from one side to another, i mean flip one end to the other)

And I have washers(spacers) in each gap.

Please post up your findings, when you can. I'd like to know how it works out for you...
Unfortunately, I thought I had it figured out too. when reassembling I tried flipping them around and it did not work. Here is a friends bike, although he doesn't clean his bike much, you can see the orientation of the dog bones and the gap, although his looks smaller.If you'd like to put up a pic of yours, I would appreciate it.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:53 AM   #73
Valentino Magoo
Like a speeding slug

Oddometer: 2,935
I just picked up an 03 KLR 250, which has only minor tweaks to get on the trails. First thing I gotta get is a real skid plate.
I saw this one: http://69.94.125.252/store/page145.html
...but kinda expected/hoped to get a little more over the water pump area.

Suggestions?
SmugMug Rocks!
Valentino Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #74
ECDLTF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
New to me KLR250

I'm new to motorcycle riding and recently bought a 2000 KLR250 with 1600 miles. It's in pretty good shape with the original tires. I would appreciate any recommendations for accessories and maintenance. Regards.
ECDLTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #75
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,691
I rode a 2001 KLR250 for something over 10,000 miles. It was a fine dual sport. I commuted and took it off road.I never modded it at all. I carried stuff in a tank bag and enjoyed the heck out of the bike.

Oil changes were quite easy as I recall. I checked and adjusted the valves a few times. It wasn't too tough having screw type adjusters. I had a service manual, and I remember it left out a few things in describing the procedure. As I recall, I had to unbolt a cooling fan and let it dangle by the wires. And there was a kind of a double triangle shaped bracket with three bolt holes in each half that had to be removed-no big deal.

I bought the KLR250 specifically because it had a kick starter.I gad owned quite a few dual sports over many years and they all had kick starters. The 250 started so easily that I never regretted it.My KLR250 could sit for six weeks in the winter, and fire off with a single kick as long as I used the starting procedure that the bike liked.

jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote