Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #811
bigfishs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Do these connectors normally end up inside the fender? Seems like they would get wet in there. Either way I will need to cover them up and get a rack for a storage box for on there. Also going to need to figure out how to get that remaining bolt out. It is just spinning in that insert thingy. Open to suggestions on all of the above.

bigfishs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #812
bigfishs
Adventurer

One other question. Does anyone how if the connector pictured on the right comes apart. For the life of me I couldnt get it apart and should probably go under the frame near the battery Im guessing

Old 12-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #813
davidb21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishs View Post
Do these connectors normally end up inside the fender? Seems like they would get wet in there. Either way I will need to cover them up and get a rack for a storage box for on there. Also going to need to figure out how to get that remaining bolt out. It is just spinning in that insert thingy. Open to suggestions on all of the above.

hey bigfish my connectors and wires are all on the rear fender like that, they dont seem to get very wet even in rain with the stock rear bag in place so im guessing it shouldnt be too hard to find a way to keep water out when you get a rack or box on there.
davidb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #814
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,455
Quote:
One other question. Does anyone how if the connector pictured on the right comes apart. For the life of me I couldnt get it apart and should probably go under the frame near the battery Im guessing

Yup, connection for the rear lighting harness. Should come apart like the plug on the left, something like this:

KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #815
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,346
Wires on top of fender are fine.

Attach vice grips to the screw and pull up very hard as you turn. If it's the screw, get a new one. If the nut insert is AFU, drill it out and slicone in an appropriate nut underneath.

To separate the wire connector, place the end of a large flat blade screwdriver inbetween the two pieces and twist. Use pliers on the screwdriver if needed.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #816
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 571
Does any one know how much amps the alternator puts out on a KLR250? I am thinking of replacing all the lights with LEDs so I can power a heated jacket.

Any thoughts?
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #817
gasolinetom
Mechanic

Oddometer: 21
those shoes

those shoes. also. is the floor in your garage carpet or rough concrete. i cant really tell.
gasolinetom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #818
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 767
Looking good bigfishs!

toddzacker> I'm using heated grips on mine with standard lighting and the headlight dims a bit at idle with them on but no real problems so far. I'm thinking about a LED brake/tailight for mine to free up some volts though. If you are running just a vest with LEDs it might be ok.

On another note I hit a snowbank today that looked soft...it wasn't. These little KLRs jump pretty good, lands much better than my 650 ever did.
beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #819
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeper View Post
Looking good bigfishs!

toddzacker> I'm using heated grips on mine with standard lighting and the headlight dims a bit at idle with them on but no real problems so far. I'm thinking about a LED brake/tailight for mine to free up some volts though. If you are running just a vest with LEDs it might be ok.
Well it's my girlfriends bike, & I need her to stay warm to ride. It pulls to much the last ride we did, but she ran a jacket & pants. I just know you can not boost the output on the 250.

That is the thought process behind doing the LEDs all the way around. Cheaper than a new bike & keeps her from always wanting to ride on the back of mine.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #820
bigfishs
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasolinetom View Post
those shoes. also. is the floor in your garage carpet or rough concrete. i cant really tell.

LOL, yeah they are my slippers and unintentionally seem to be in most of my pics. Maybe I'll make it a thing I do round here

And that is carpet over a concrete floor. Was there when we bought the house and doesnt seem to mind having snow on it from cars in after many winters. I hit it with the leaf blower now and again. That's as close as I ever come to vacuuming.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #821
bigfishs
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Wires on top of fender are fine.

Attach vice grips to the screw and pull up very hard as you turn. If it's the screw, get a new one. If the nut insert is AFU, drill it out and slicone in an appropriate nut underneath.

To separate the wire connector, place the end of a large flat blade screwdriver inbetween the two pieces and twist. Use pliers on the screwdriver if needed.

Thank you sir, I will give both of those a try. The screw is turning but not coming up so im guessing the insert is spinning too.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #822
bigfishs
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post
Yup, connection for the rear lighting harness. Should come apart like the plug on the left, something like this:

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #823
bigfishs
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeper View Post

On another note I hit a snowbank today that looked soft...it wasn't. These little KLRs jump pretty good, lands much better than my 650 ever did.
Did you stick the landing?
Old 12-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #824
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 767
Quote:
Did you stick the landing?

Oh yes. Gonna do it again tomorrow.
beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #825
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Never mind the 250's amp output is 10.5 max...think I can get it from here...it's amazing what you find in your owners Manuel...