User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #1066
mikejjmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Hey guys (and gals)

The dealer near here is selling out their 2012 KLX250's at cost (so they say) to get the 2013's on the floor.They are asking $4399 (+tax, etc)

I have a few quesitons, thanks so much in advance for your help.

Did they fix the breaking star shifter issue with the 2012 model? sounds like its an issue mostly with 09 and 10.

Is it a good deal? I want a new bike, so i know whats been done to it from day one (had issues in the past), so the "look for a decent used one" doesn't really apply here.

What does it need off the floor? Im thinking sw motech skid (recommendations?), some kind of hand guards (recommendations?), anything else right away? radiator guards perhaps?

any other insight would be great. ive never bought a brand new bike before so any break in advice, etc would be appreciated. thank you all so much. looking forward to joining the community of klx riders!
mikejjmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #1067
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 2,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
X,
Have you a recommendation for the brake line? I might be looking for one.
I bought a Galfer line because that's what I've used on street bikes with excellent results. I got mine new off of Ebay for about $50 shipped. I only rode my KLR about three miles before upgrading the 11 year old stock line that had a leak with the new SS braided Galfer line. Needless to say, it was a night and day difference... Though, switching to a SS braided line probably had less to do with it than switching to a non-leaking line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejjmay View Post
Hey guys (and gals)

The dealer near here is selling out their 2012 KLX250's at cost (so they say) to get the 2013's on the floor.They are asking $4399 (+tax, etc)

I have a few quesitons, thanks so much in advance for your help.

Did they fix the breaking star shifter issue with the 2012 model? sounds like its an issue mostly with 09 and 10.

Is it a good deal? I want a new bike, so i know whats been done to it from day one (had issues in the past), so the "look for a decent used one" doesn't really apply here.

What does it need off the floor? Im thinking sw motech skid (recommendations?), some kind of hand guards (recommendations?), anything else right away? radiator guards perhaps?

any other insight would be great. ive never bought a brand new bike before so any break in advice, etc would be appreciated. thank you all so much. looking forward to joining the community of klx riders!
You know this is the KLR thread?

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #1068
mikejjmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I bought a Galfer line because that's what I've used on street bikes with excellent results. I got mine new off of Ebay for about $50 shipped. I only rode my KLR about three miles before upgrading the 11 year old stock line that had a leak with the new SS braided Galfer line. Needless to say, it was a night and day difference... Though, switching to a SS braided line probably had less to do with it than switching to a non-leaking line.

I most certainly do, just couldnt find the KLX one and needed the advice quick, as im heading to the showroom in an hour or so!!! Any help from the KLRistas would be appreciated!
mikejjmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #1069
max384
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejjmay View Post
I most certainly do, just couldnt find the KLX one and needed the advice quick, as im heading to the showroom in an hour or so!!! Any help from the KLRistas would be appreciated!
Haha. I thought you missed the 'r' in the thread title.

Here's the Big KLX250 thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107591

That thread looks more active than this one anyhow, so you should be able to get the information you need pretty quickly... Though I don't know about within an hour. I'm new to the KLR and don't have any answers for you. Sorry.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #1070
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post

Thanks. I swear I can see my brake line expand when I pull the lever.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #1071
max384
Disgruntled Student

I need to do something about this rear shock. It's just too light for me. I bottom it out all the time, and I don't ride all that hard either. I'm 215lbs without gear on. The front is okay with the heavier oil and some air pressure in the forks. AFAIK, the rear is not serviceable, is it? Are there drop-in options available from other bikes? I saw you can fit the KLR650 shock pretty easily, but it will lower the ride, which I'm definitely not keen on. I guess I could put in a 650 shock and then use raising links, right? I'm also not willing to spend big money on a custom Penske or Ohlins or whatever other big brands make shocks for this bike. The purchase price of this bike just doesn't justify it in my mind.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #1072
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,451
Unless you go full out one-off custom you're limited to rebuilding/modifying the stock shock or the many KLR650 options. Which isn't the worst thing as there are quite a few to suit many needs.
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #1073
kbess1110
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Hey guys new to dual sports. Had a ninja a while ago for a while...then sold it had a kid blahblahblah...well I bought a 150cc scooter a few months back and decided I like dual sports and wod suit me needs and wants...so I pick up a 98 klr250 (I know its old) I think I got a decent price on it...run great, needs a carb cleaning but everything else is in great condition not only for its age but in general the guy took care of it. Any suggestions for me? Ill be commuting to work and back (6 miles) but can take some trails home...anyway here she is! Let me know what you think...also keep in mind im a complete newb so anything helps. Even the "obvious"

Sent from my VZW 4g LTE Note 2
kbess1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #1074
bigfishs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Congrats and welcome to the club
bigfishs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #1075
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 751
Nice looking example you got there, lots of custom touches. You say it runs great but needs the carb cleaned? If it's running fine I'd just add some seafoam to the tank with premium fuel (no ethanol) and ride it.
beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #1076
kbess1110
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishs View Post
Congrats and welcome to the club
Thanks! Im so excited to be on the trails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeper View Post
Nice looking example you got there, lots of custom touches. You say it runs great but needs the carb cleaned? If it's running fine I'd just add some seafoam to the tank with premium fuel (no ethanol) and ride it.
Well...in order for it to not bog down I gotta keep the choke on slightly...should I still run the seafoam? Or clean the carb out...I can hop on, kick it over, over and ride but the choke has to be on. So its rev'ing @ 3-4 any lower its bog down after about a minute

Old 04-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #1077
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbess1110 View Post
Thanks! Im so excited to be on the trails!

Well...in order for it to not bog down I gotta keep the choke on slightly...should I still run the seafoam? Or clean the carb out...I can hop on, kick it over, over and ride but the choke has to be on. So its rev'ing @ 3-4 any lower its bog down after about a minute

Sounds like what mine did when I first got it. Google '.22 cent mod'. Basically its a needle shim and a slide drill. I skipped the drilling and just shimmed the needle up. Clean everything out good and do the mod, should be fine.

It's probably worth mentioning that it takes some time for mine to warm up. I can't just start it and leave, and its probably 1/4 mile before its running right. The girlfriend keeps having issues with that, she's used to her old 250 ninja that had a much different feel.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #1078
kbess1110
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Sounds like what mine did when I first got it. Google '.22 cent mod'. Basically its a needle shim and a slide drill. I skipped the drilling and just shimmed the needle up. Clean everything out good and do the mod, should be fine.

It's probably worth mentioning that it takes some time for mine to warm up. I can't just start it and leave, and its probably 1/4 mile before its running right. The girlfriend keeps having issues with that, she's used to her old 250 ninja that had a much different feel.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.
Ah ha...wow thanks for the help. I'm heavily into Ed crawlin so I'm spoiled with the great nice joyful helpful crowd. Wasn't sure how the dual sport crowd was!!! Makes me even more excited to get on the road/dirt/trails
Old 04-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #1079
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbess1110 View Post
Ah ha...wow thanks for the help. I'm heavily into Ed crawlin so I'm spoiled with the great nice joyful helpful crowd. Wasn't sure how the dual sport crowd was!!! Makes me even more excited to get on the road/dirt/trails
No problem. If it doesn't work right I'm sure the experts here will chime in. It's a great crowd both here and on the trails. I've never been left alone, and have been helped a lot by perfect strangers.

Have fun with it. I'm impressed with how the little 250 does, even compared to my klr650 and xr650. It's better than I expected it to be.
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:15 AM   #1080
tkata
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Nice bike! Mine isn't in such a good condition but i got much help here and in other forums. I'm sure you won't regret your choice!
Problems, if any, are minor and with some basic cheap maintainance you should enjoy your KLR for the years to come.

See ya!
tkata is offline   Reply With Quote