Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #1081
Powderaddict
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Well, yesterday I traded my KLR 650 for a KLR 250 and rode it home about 270 miles. I ended up getting the one with the 330 engine. It ran well, and even handled about 35 miles of 70 mph Interstate cruising much better than I expected.

When I got home and turned the bike off, it did belch a bit of coolant out of the overflow tank, maybe 1/4 cup or so. I'm hoping the guy I bought it from just overfilled it a bit. My question is about the fan. When I turned the bike off, the temp climbed to about 3/4 on the temp guage, and the fan did not turn on. Is this normal? I'm a little concerned between the belching of coolant and the fan, but it never really got into the red.

I really like this little bike, it's a blast to ride! It's no Ninja, but it's so light it's a real hoot on twisty mountain roads

Also, I wanted to ask, what hand guards have you used with success?

previous: Suzuki Intruder 1400, KLR 250, KLR 650, Ninja 650r, Triumph Sprint ST, Yamaha Seca II, Yamaha XS650, Suzuki TS185

Powderaddict screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 07:18 AM
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #1082
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbess1110 View Post
Ah ha...wow thanks for the help. I'm heavily into Ed crawlin so I'm spoiled with the great nice joyful helpful crowd. Wasn't sure how the dual sport crowd was!!! Makes me even more excited to get on the road/dirt/trails
Neat looking bike!

Some ideas for you:

Change the oil and filter immediately so you know what is in there. Use motorcycle oil. The clutch prefers that.

Check the valve clearances ASAP. There is a tutorial here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~klr250informationexchange/
Tight valves are bad MMMKAY?

There is a mixture screw located on the underside of the engine side of the carb. It can be adjusted for better warm ups and throttle response. The screw may have an alluminum cap over it. On the site linked above you'll find instructions on accessing and setting the screw for best performance.

Enjoy your new ride.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:31 AM   #1083
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
My question is about the fan. When I turned the bike off, the temp climbed to about 3/4 on the temp guage, and the fan did not turn on. Is this normal? I'm a little concerned between the belching of coolant and the fan, but it never really got into the red.
Fear not; if the needle doesn't approach the red zone, you have a non-problem. The fan circuitry can be checked by grounding the thermal switch lead (lower radiator connection); grounding the connection activates the fan relay and in turn, the fan.
Quote:
Also, I wanted to ask, what hand guards have you used with success?
Tusk handgurards (WITH plastic spoilers) from Rocky Mountain ATV are versatile, and affordable, in my experience.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #1084
Powderaddict
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Fear not; if the needle doesn't approach the red zone, you have a non-problem. The fan circuitry can be checked by grounding the thermal switch lead (lower radiator connection); grounding the connection activates the fan relay and in turn, the fan.Tusk handgurards (WITH plastic spoilers) from Rocky Mountain ATV are versatile, and affordable, in my experience.
When I get home, I'll check the fan.

This morning I went out and checked and the overflow tank for the coolant, and it looked empty. When I left yesterday, it was at the full mark. I'm wondering if it was spitting coolant out the whole way. That seems strange to me though, wouldn't it fill the overflow tank before spitting it out?

Is there anything I should look for? Do I just have new bike paranoia?

previous: Suzuki Intruder 1400, KLR 250, KLR 650, Ninja 650r, Triumph Sprint ST, Yamaha Seca II, Yamaha XS650, Suzuki TS185
Old 04-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #1085
Powderaddict
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, I'm obviously not that bright.

I looked at the coolant tank and couldn't see the level this morning, and assumed it was empty.

I just looked at it during lunch, that sucker isn't empty, it's full. The guy I got it from stated he just flushed the coolant, apparently he filled it just a tad too much.

Well, disaster averted. I'll still make sure the fan is functioning, but after riding it almost 300 miles home yesterday with no real issues, I'm thinking the bike is good to go. I can't wait to take it out on all the trails around here

Old 04-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #1086
kbess1110
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkata View Post
Nice bike! Mine isn't in such a good condition but i got much help here and in other forums. I'm sure you won't regret your choice!
Problems, if any, are minor and with some basic cheap maintainance you should enjoy your KLR for the years to come.

See ya!
Thanks! I never really done any mechanical work besides basics...so when all the replies said adjust the balves it seemed likr a HUGE deal...well like you said someone was kind enough to post the how to link and its nothing like I imagined. Quite simple...so hopwfully with any luck ill get to it this weekend..carb is first on the list just to see if I can get it to idle right!!!!!! Then valves then llay time :-)

Sent from my VZW 4g LTE Note 2
kbess1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #1087
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Well, I'm obviously not that bright.

I looked at the coolant tank and couldn't see the level this morning, and assumed it was empty.

I just looked at it during lunch, that sucker isn't empty, it's full. The guy I got it from stated he just flushed the coolant, apparently he filled it just a tad too much.

Well, disaster averted. I'll still make sure the fan is functioning, but after riding it almost 300 miles home yesterday with no real issues, I'm thinking the bike is good to go. I can't wait to take it out on all the trails around here
Just FYI, the KLR250 radiator is sensitive to BURPING; run engine with radiator cap off, 'till coolan circulates, removing air bubbles. Then, top off radiator and reservoir, as necessay.

Unless burped properly, air pocket may form in coolant system, inhibiting coolant circulation at idel; result: High temperature registered from head sensor, but coolant in bottom of radiator too cool to close thermal switch to activate fan. Solution: BURP radator!

Replace radiator cap, and ride on!
Old 04-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #1088
Powderaddict
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Just FYI, the KLR250 radiator is sensitive to BURPING; run engine with radiator cap off, 'till coolan circulates, removing air bubbles. Then, top off radiator and reservoir, as necessay.

Unless burped properly, air pocket may form in coolant system, inhibiting coolant circulation at idel; result: High temperature registered from head sensor, but coolant in bottom of radiator too cool to close thermal switch to activate fan. Solution: BURP radator!

Replace radiator cap, and ride on!
That did the trick. Great advice, thanks!

Old 04-23-2013, 03:58 AM   #1089
tkata
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Thanks! I never really done any mechanical work besides basics...so when all the replies said adjust the balves it seemed likr a HUGE deal...well like you said someone was kind enough to post the how to link and its nothing like I imagined. Quite simple...so hopwfully with any luck ill get to it this weekend..carb is first on the list just to see if I can get it to idle right!!!!!! Then valves then llay time :-)

Well...mechanically i'm illiterate...not to say stupid! But the guys here are so helpful i just think i'm gonna make it wtih some basic maintainance.

I'm on the electrics right now, checking some things and i can say it's easier than i thought.

See you arround. Thanks again people!!!
tkata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #1090
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That did the trick. Great advice, thanks!
Thank YOU, for the feedback, Powderaddict!

I was puzzled, when after coolant draining and replacement, the temperature gauge soared on idle, but--no fan activation (no problem at higher rpm).

I even installed a manual fan activation switch, but . . . even this expedient did not bring down the temperature at idle; even with the fan running, the idle coolant temperature registered too high.

Finally, I properly burped the radiator, and . . . even on 100-degree F. days, at idle, the temperature rises, the fan kicks in, and . . . the temperature goes down. Repeat.

Seems like, with an air pocket, at higher rpm coolant circulation is adequate; at idle . . . not so much; not enough to trigger the thermal switch in the lower radiator. Burping was the answer in my case, and--in yours too, it seems.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:21 AM   #1091
kbess1110
n00b

Well guys...the bike wasnt such a good buy...my buddy, while rebuilding my carb found that as he went deeper in the motor is just baked...so where can I buy pretty kicb a new engine and all the parts that go into it? Is it even worth it if I paid a grand for it? How much would a full rebuild be if the mechanic was free and all I had to do is buy parts? Thanks

Old 04-24-2013, 05:21 AM   #1092
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Well guys...the bike wasnt such a good buy...my buddy, while rebuilding my carb found that as he went deeper in the motor is just baked...so where can I buy pretty kicb a new engine and all the parts that go into it? Is it even worth it if I paid a grand for it? How much would a full rebuild be if the mechanic was free and all I had to do is buy parts? Thanks
Could you get your buddy to be more specific regarding his comment, "the motor is just baked?"

What, exactly, is the nature of the engine deficiencies?

I don't doubt his conclusion, just curious regarding the extent and mechanism of failure, his investigation and findings. The cost to repair/rebuild critically depends upon this information.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #1093
kbess1110
n00b

Quote:
Could you get your buddy to be more specific regarding his comment, "the motor is just baked?"

What, exactly, is the nature of the engine deficiencies?

I don't doubt his conclusion, just curious regarding the extent and mechanism of failure, his investigation and findings. The cost to repair/rebuild critically depends upon this information.
Ill get yhe specifics today. I know he said cams, rocker arms? Or something like that...the block has a crack in it and something from the exhaust is messed up to where metal got into the engine. Again ill get the actual wording from him in a couple hours

Old 04-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #1094
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,222
Quote:
Ill get yhe specifics today. I know he said cams, rocker arms? Or something like that...the block has a crack in it and something from the exhaust is messed up to where metal got into the engine. Again ill get the actual wording from him in a couple hours

Sounds like you may have just bought a parts bike.

I remember reading here that the klr shares parts with a 250 mojave atv? Might be able to find a cheap mojave on Craigslist and part it out. I think the cylinder and up is the same, depending on what all you need.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #1095
kbess1110
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Sounds like you may have just bought a parts bike.

I remember reading here that the klr shares parts with a 250 mojave atv? Might be able to find a cheap mojave on Craigslist and part it out. I think the cylinder and up is the same, depending on what all you need.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.
I need new heads cam shaft rocker arms exhaust lobe