User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #106
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Assembly

Next I placed my custom metal bracket over the stock bolts, and secured the bracket to the bag with split washers and stainless nuts. When everything was tightened up, it sandwiched the bag between the wooden bottom and the sheet steel bracket:
HandKPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:27 PM   #107
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Installed

Next I just bolted the bracket/bag to the lower fork clamp:

HandKPhil screwed with this post 04-09-2010 at 01:01 PM
Old 04-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #108
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Final shot

Due to the gauge of the sheetmetal used, the bracket is very sturdy. I think the use of split washers throughout should keep anything from vibrating loose. Now I've got a place to keep my digital camera, pocket knife, etc. while cruising around during the day, and I no longer have to access my locked rear box whenever I need these items. As a final step I cleaned the bag with a product called Vinylex, which left it looking like new. Total cost for this project was $2.65 worth of hardware, and about an hour of my time.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:49 AM   #109
ECDLTF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Great Job!

That was a good idea to relocate the tool bag. How long do you think the material in the tool bag will last? My tool bag is in pretty good shape on my 2000 KLR. What kind of grips did you put on? Do you still have the stock handlebars? What kind of tires to you install? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandKPhil
Due to the gauge of the sheetmetal used, the bracket is very sturdy. I think the use of split washers throughout should keep anything from vibrating loose. Now I've got a place to keep my digital camera, pocket knife, etc. while cruising around during the day, and I no longer have to access my locked rear box whenever I need these items. As a final step I cleaned the bag with a product called Vinylex, which left it looking like new. Total cost for this project was $2.65 worth of hardware, and about an hour of my time.
ECDLTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:41 AM   #110
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

KLR Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECDLTF
That was a good idea to relocate the tool bag. How long do you think the material in the tool bag will last? My tool bag is in pretty good shape on my 2000 KLR. What kind of grips did you put on? Do you still have the stock handlebars? What kind of tires to you install? Thanks.

The tool bag itself seems to be in good shape. Should last at least a few more years, I would think. The plywood I used for the bottom is a high-grade mahogany that's about 1/4" thick. I've actually used it as the skin on a couple of boats I built.

The grips are called ProGrips, I believe. I just found them hanging on the wall at my local dealership. They were about $10.00, and they're very comfortable and highly grippy. The handlebars that are on my bike are stock, as far as I know? The tires are brand-new Shinko 700 Trail Masters. I think they're pretty good all around 60/40 tires.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #111
Quick5pnt0
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Nice work!
Old 04-15-2010, 05:53 AM   #112
Harris1200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Hey guys, sorry if this has been covered but what kind of performance can i expect from a 92 klr250. I picked this little baby up from ebay for next to nothing for my little brother to learn to ride on. He loves it! It doesn't seem to have much power up top but, it really struggles to sit on 100 km/h down the freeway. Is this normal or should i start playing around with it.

Thanks any thoughts would be great

Chris
Harris1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #113
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris1200
Hey guys, sorry if this has been covered but what kind of performance can i expect from a 92 klr250. I picked this little baby up from ebay for next to nothing for my little brother to learn to ride on. He loves it! It doesn't seem to have much power up top but, it really struggles to sit on 100 km/h down the freeway. Is this normal or should i start playing around with it.

Chris
Unless your brother weighs in at 200 kilos it should cruise nicely at 100 km/h (62 mph). Should cruise nicely at 65 mph or maybe a little better if you're at a low altitude. 70 mph would be a push and 75 is probably top speed to be used only for short stretches, like for passing - at least at the altitude I live at. At sea level it may be able to cruise at an indicated 70mph (I'm sure others here will chime in with better, local, information). It may just need a tune up.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #114
Jeremiah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Will do it

Quote:

Chris

I don't weigh in at 200 kilos but close to 3/4 of that with camping gear and the lil' beast will pull at 100kmh on the highway no problem. At first I thought RPM's were high and was a little afraid - but 2 years and 7500+ miles later 110 kmh is easy and 120 for short stretches.

Just keep an eye on valve adjustments
GL1800
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #115
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandKPhil
Nice work, HandKPhil!

Here's an image of a similar commercial product installed:

This firm also manufactured a plastic "dock," for the space atop the rear fender where the tool bag originally perched.

Apparently, the demand for KLR250 aftermarket products isn't particularly great; my last try accessing the vendor's website bounced, although an archived version was available.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:42 AM   #116
Harris1200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Thanks for the reply guys. I thought it should go a bit better. Ill do all the tune up stuff and pull the carby apart and see whats going on... i have a feeling someone has played with it and now it running mega rich.

Cheers
Chris
Harris1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:47 AM   #117
ECDLTF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
KLR 250 Parts?

Is that vendor still selling KLR250 parts or is he out of business? By the way, you have a nicely accessorized KLR. What kind and size of tires are you running? What other accessories did you add to your KLR? How do you like the rear rack? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer
Nice work, HandKPhil!

Here's an image of a similar commercial product installed:

This firm also manufactured a plastic "dock," for the space atop the rear fender where the tool bag originally perched.

Apparently, the demand for KLR250 aftermarket products isn't particularly great; my last try accessing the vendor's website bounced, although an archived version was available.
ECDLTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:35 PM   #118
Quick5pnt0
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:

Chris
At the very least you'll probably want to clean the carb, adjust the valves and throw a new plug in it. I can definitely see the possibility of the carb jets being gunked up and basically starving the motor of fuel at higher rpms.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:53 AM   #119
ChiliRTF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Selling my KLR 250

Selling my KLR250, located in Pepperell, MA (on the MA/NH border).

I've posted in Flea Market, but given the rate at which new listings start, things get buried pretty quickly.

Link to the listing here.

Has a leaky fork seal which will be fixed this weekend. It's just sitting in the garage and wants to be ridden, make me an offer.

Thanks!

Current: 2005 FZ6
| Former: 2000 Ninja 500R, 1981 XR200, 2001 KLR250, 2001 DR650
ChiliRTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:30 PM   #120
McHaven
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
May be picking up a 94 KLR250 for the girlfriend today. Seems like it would be a great starter bike for her. She'll just have to get used to that terrible color scheme. Its the Barbie years colors. It isn't running, but it was listed for 250 bucks! Dad's on his way to check out. I wonder what mysteries lay
ahead

edit: Got word back from my dad, who went out to say the bike. The photo in the ad was like 3 years old and the bike looked like it had been sitting in the bay for 2 years. Rusty, engine seized, etc etc. DAMN.

McHaven screwed with this post 04-24-2010 at 12:50 PM
McHaven is offline   Reply With Quote