http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...49405654,d.cGE

corey hart.... almost as fly as fresh prince of bell air
LadyFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #1189
KLR250NC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
New Member with question

Hi guys. I am a new member out of NC. I have ridden dirt bikes as a young'un and have had a GSXR-750. But I finally got smart and just purchased an 02 KLR250. I just picked it up and haven't tagged it yet but I did notice one problem so far. The throttle does not 'release' when I let go of the throttle. It stays wherever I let off of it at. Can anyone help me? I did a few searches but couldn't find anything. Also don't know how to post pictures.
KLR250NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #1190
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR250NC View Post
Hi guys. I am a new member out of NC. I have ridden dirt bikes as a young'un and have had a GSXR-750. But I finally got smart and just purchased an 02 KLR250. I just picked it up and haven't tagged it yet but I did notice one problem so far. The throttle does not 'release' when I let go of the throttle. It stays wherever I let off of it at. Can anyone help me? I did a few searches but couldn't find anything. Also don't know how to post pictures.
Welcome!

The throttle is closed by spring tension; two cable are connected to the twist grip, one to open the throttle, one to positively close it. The cable run must be clear and reasonably straight to allow the cables to slide easily in and out of their casings; also, cables must not be pinched (e.g., between the tank and the frame). The throttle cables may need lubrication, if the throttle is hanging up.

The throttle twist grip barrel must rotate smoothly on the handlebar for the spring tension to "automatically" close the throttle when released.

You may need to lubricate the throttle barrel, clean out any debris hampering its rotation, or even straighten out any interfering bumps or creases. The rubber grip edge sometimes impinges on the handlebar bracket, restricting free rotation; a sharp knife can trim back the rubber to allow the throttle to snap closed, if this is the case.

Check out the throttle linkage and let us know how things work out.

KLR250s forever!

------------------

Oh, yes; pictures! Images must be hosted separately, displayed by posting their "IMG" file URLs.

XDragRacer screwed with this post 07-20-2013 at 12:24 PM
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #1191
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,291
Quote:
Mine did that today...right after I crashed on the right side. I keep the levers and mirrors etc. kind of loose so nothing breaks when I crash in the woods.

Try loosening the screws and sliding it out away from the brake lever about 1/4". That might be all it needs.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #1192
KLR250NC
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Welcome!

The throttle is closed by spring tension; two cable are connected to the twist grip, one to open the throttle, one to positively close it. The cable run must be clear and reasonably straight to allow the cables to slide easily in and out of their casings; also, cables must not be pinched (e.g., between the tank and the frame). The throttle cables may need lubrication, if the throttle is hanging up.

The throttle twist grip barrel must rotate smoothly on the handlebar for the spring tension to "automatically" close the throttle when released.

You may need to lubricate the throttle barrel, clean out any debris hampering its rotation, or even straighten out any interfering bumps or creases. The rubber grip edge sometimes impinges on the handlebar bracket, restricting free rotation; a sharp knife can trim back the rubber to allow the throttle to snap closed, if this is the case.

Check out the throttle linkage and let us know how things work out.

KLR250s forever!

------------------

Oh, yes; pictures! Images must be hosted separately, displayed by posting their "IMG" file URLs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Mine did that today...right after I crashed on the right side. I keep the levers and mirrors etc. kind of loose so nothing breaks when I crash in the woods.

Try loosening the screws and sliding it out away from the brake lever about 1/4". That might be all it needs.

Thanks guys. 8gv- yours sounds easier, i will try that first. If that doesn't work, I will look into the others.

How do you post pictures, anyone?
Old 07-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #1193
MILLENNIUM FALCON
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
I use photobucket to download all my pictures then up just copy an paste the link in the text of your post. I'm sure there are many other ways to do it but that is how I do it.

Quote:
Thanks guys. 8gv- yours sounds easier, i will try that first. If that doesn't work, I will look into the others.

How do you post pictures, anyone?
MILLENNIUM FALCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #1194
lwood10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
If it runs good ignore my suggestion but if it runs rough or is hard to start most klr owners will need to clean the carb and adjust valves. I had to more than once. Check throttle cable sliding with the cables loose at the carb. BTW: Mine has no return cable anymore.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #1195
KLR250NC
Adventurer

Here she is.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #1196
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Fine looking machine...

also, a clone of my bike
Old 07-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #1197
KLR250NC
Adventurer

I did move the throttle bracket out somewhat. Fixed the problem. Returns to idle perfectly now. Thanks for the advice.

By the way- This is a 2002 model with 2019 miles. Scored her for $1600. I don't think I did too bad.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #1198
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

If you need anything else you'll get good answers here. We've collectively been through it all.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #1199
lwood10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Getting ready to change the fork oil on "ole granny". I was wondering how you guys check the level. Manual says to "check level with forks extended and springs out". But also the manual never mentions extending the forks when "changing the fork oil" It just says compress forks to remove oil and then fill after removing springs. Most people said they check level with forks compressed.
This is a little contradictory. The manual is the Kawasaki Shop Manual with 250 supplement that refers you to the base manual to change the oil. Don't want to put too much in there and blow the seals. I may just put the recommended amount (270 ml) and leave it at that.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #1200
HBL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Right Side Cover Installation Error??

I have a '92 KLR250 with a leaking right side cover. I ordered a new gasket and attempted the reinstall last weekend. I was being careful to tighten the cover slowly and uniformly but just as I was finalizing the installation to the final torque spec, the damn cover popped/cracked (vertically) down the entire length of the middle of the cover

I have a new gasket and Ebay cover on order for one more attempt before I role it off a cliff. Is there anything about the cover that requires alignment? The clutch mechanism? I am hoping that it was just a weak 21 YO cover, but also want to be certain I don't make the same silly/costly/time consuming mistake a second time if I can help it

Thanks for any suggestions!
HBL is offline   Reply With Quote