Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 06:57 AM   #1306
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994klr250 View Post
Well my 1994 KLR 250 turned 40 today, but not 40 years old. It just rolled over 40,000 miles on the way home from work today!
Outstanding!

Just wanted to offer my congratulations to someone who doubtless appreciates, the world's most under-rated dual-sport motorcycle!

KLR250s forever!
XDragRacer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #1307
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Outstanding!

Just wanted to offer my congratulations to someone who doubtless appreciates, the world's most under-rated dual-sport motorcycle!

KLR250s forever!
Thanks, the KLR250 has been a great bike! I plan on keeping it for a long time. When I bought it 6 years ago it had just over 4,000 miles. I could of never imagined it going this many miles when I bought it. I really enjoy the small dual sport bikes, that's why I bought my 06 klx250 this past summer. The klr will still get ridden plenty even with the klx and my f800gs around.

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #1308
KLR250NC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
The tool bag relocation bracket mounts to those two threaded holes:

Tool bag relocated to front fork with aftermarket bracket:

Although the product is out of production now, I have access to the four remaining front fork tool bag relocation brackets and rear mini-decks (covering OEM tool bag area on rear fender) in the world; from the manufacturer, unused, new.

If anyone's interested in these KLR250 accessories, PM me.

(BTW, if you should mount the tool bag bracket (or any other accessory) in the holes in question, use a self-tapping machine screw, or chase the threads with a tap beforehand; those open threaded holes rust, corrode, and collect all manner of trash, in time.)
Anyone have one of these brackets that can give measurements or willing to sell it? I NEED one. Or at the minimum, want one. Thanks
KLR250NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:05 AM   #1309
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994klr250 View Post
Thanks, the KLR250 has been a great bike! I plan on keeping it for a long time. When I bought it 6 years ago it had just over 4,000 miles. I could of never imagined it going this many miles when I bought it. I really enjoy the small dual sport bikes, that's why I bought my 06 klx250 this past summer. The klr will still get ridden plenty even with the klx and my f800gs around.
Congrats to you and your trusty steed!
I've really enjoyed your ride reports. They inspired me to take my own '98 out for some long days. I did a weekend tour of western MD and PA a few weeks ago. I have to say, even with the Coleman ATV seat cover I put on, that was a looong couple days. Really uncomfortable- I had to get off and walk around every hour or so. Was that a problem for you?
Old 10-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #1310
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR250NC View Post
Anyone have one of these brackets that can give measurements or willing to sell it? I NEED one. Or at the minimum, want one. Thanks
Don't mean to break your heart, but . . . I got exactly ZERO interest from anyone willing to buy one, at any price.

Thus, I decided, becoming a broker for KLR250 tool bag relocation brackets was not a promisingly lucrative vocation! Reckon the manufacturer has turned 'em into scrap, by now.

Fabricating one shouldn't be that hard; use existing stuff from the bike as a TEMPLATE for hole-drilling; use the two threaded holes existing on the front forks for mounting (CLEAN 'EM OUT WITH A TAP, FIRST; they're probably pretty corroded and rusty, from facing wind and rain for a minimum of 8 years), Mount the bag, and ride on!

Oh, yes; the manufacturer also had hard, industrial plastic loading decks available to fill in the space where the tool bag previously sat, pre-drilled for existing mounting bolts . . .

Hey, I SAID I didn't want to break your heart!
Old 10-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #1311
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
Congrats to you and your trusty steed!
I've really enjoyed your ride reports. They inspired me to take my own '98 out for some long days. I did a weekend tour of western MD and PA a few weeks ago. I have to say, even with the Coleman ATV seat cover I put on, that was a looong couple days. Really uncomfortable- I had to get off and walk around every hour or so. Was that a problem for you?
I ended up using the air hawk from my gs on the klr for the trip to the upper penisula. I use the atv seat cover along with a one inch piece of foam for short rides and commuting. Glad you have enjoyed my trips on the 250.

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #1312
BentRimz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
01' KLR 250 no compression

Hey so after a weekend of riding off road I hop on my bike and try to kick start it, but nothing happened and there was very little resistance on the kick starter as I pushed it down.

Now I had this problem once before after riding it hard for a week straight, up in the mountains. At that time I checked the valves and they were all at the lower end of the gap specs so I adjusted them to top end of the spec and the bike started up and I noticed a significant change in the kick starting effort ( It put up a lot of resistance when I tried to kick it on compression). But the bike was running great so I kept riding it.

Anyway about 1500 miles later the same problem came up, no resistance on the kick starter all of a sudden. So naturally I went in and checked the valves. They were all loose at about .012 to .011 so I checked to see if I was at top dead center on the compression stoke and I was (T mark was showing on the fly wheel, and Intake cam just rolled off the rocker with both marks pointing outwards on the cam). So I adjusted the valves to .009 torqued the lock nut, checked again and the gap was at .009 . I put the bike back together and tried to kick start it same problem no resistance on the kickstarter. Tried to bump start it no luck.

So this is where you guys come in. I'm thinking either I burned up the exhaust valves, got carbon or some other crap wedged in the valve seat , wore out the rings or KACR got screwed up. My next step is to borrow a borescope and take the exhaust manifold off and visually inspect the valves.

Another guy on a fourm had the same problem and he got compression back by push starting it in 3rd gear for a while until the compression magically came back.

Anyway if anybody has input or has come across this exact problem holla at me Thanks

btw, bike as 7700 miles on it. valves were checked at 2.7k 6k 6,8k and 7,7k
BentRimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #1313
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Possible stuck valve (not to take credit for the obvious!).

A leak-down test would tell the tale; or, you could disable the KACR and perform a "normal" compression test (although the absence of compression seems notable already).

I'd think removal and inspection of the head might be necessary, but I'm unfamiliar with the use of a borescope for diagnosing valve condition/performance.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #1314
ilmontgo
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Could also be rings.

I too went to start my bike one day and found no compression. My first thought was the KACR and upon inspection, its moving parts were missing (I had never been in the valve cover before). It was a long story but someone had removed the KACR prior to my ownership and I ended up rebuilding the motor. Previous person in the engine had honed the cylinder apparently with rocks... Cylinder walls were rough as hell. Had it honed, added new rings, seals, gaskets, oil, valve adjustment (3 were really tight), and bike is restored to former glory.

I just did a second valve adjustment after about 1500 miles and found both exhaust valves tight. After adjustment it felt like a new engine. Much more compression and noticeable power increase. I was going 80 on the interstate with power and 1500 rpm to spare.

I did have a 40-tooth rear sprocket and stock front which pretty much made 80 mph = 8000 rpm but just went down to a 42 tooth rear (stock is 44). It pulls noticeably harder in the higher gears yet only added around 250 rpm in top gear. So where 70 used to be about 6950 rpm, it is now 7200 rpm. No biggie as most of my riding is around 45-70 mph and I can still go 80 if need be.
ilmontgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #1315
ilmontgo
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbaboy View Post
when I put the kick stand down even if the bike is in neutral?
Here the bike is idling well in Neutral.
Is there an easy bypass to this. I like to see the Neutral Green Light at the dash.
Thanks
Simba
I unplugged and removed my kickstart switch (had to due to needing to remove engine). It didn't work anyway and removal gave me no ill effects. I am a little afraid of taking off one day with the kickstand down but due to my habits/procedures, I really don't see that happening.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #1316
ilmontgo
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfye55 View Post
Anyone have experience with the KACR, or maybe have their valve cover off right now to compare?

Is removal of KACR an option, just run the bike with no automatic compression release?

Don
Don,

Mine runs great without the KACR. Still usually starts on first kick. I'm 5' 7" and 165 lbs and kicking it isn't a problem for me as long as I'm standing on the left peg. In soft terrain, that can be tricky though...

Also, I have pictures. Or you can refer to my original post on the subject on page 83 (of this thread).
Old 11-01-2013, 06:38 AM   #1317
the_doc
Street Convert

Oddometer: 219
KLR 250 Value

I'm pretty new here so be easy...

I finally sold my Zx6r and want to play around with DS'in. I found a local listing for a little KLR but I'm having a hard time gauging what it is worth.

Any help on the value of a '02 KLR 250 with 3700 miles? FWIW it looks pretty clean.
the_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:16 AM   #1318
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_doc View Post
Any help on the value of a '02 KLR 250 with 3700 miles? FWIW it looks pretty clean.
Depends upon your local market; approaching winter should lower the asking price somewhat!

A modest proposal; check Kelley Blue Book for guidelines:

http://www.kbb.com

Hereabouts, KBB says one in excellent condition may retail at about $ 2000. That ain't Gospel, but . . . a guideline.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #1319
the_doc
Street Convert

Oddometer: 219
Yea, kbb and nada guides are pretty shot-ey IMO - It doesn't really factor anything more than make/model/year. I was hoping to get some expert opinions

I've never owned an offroad style bike so I'm lacking that instinctive value feeling
the_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #1320
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_doc View Post
I was hoping to get some expert opinions
Best of luck, finding an "expert" market price opinion on a bike 11 model years old, not sold in the US for 9 model years.

Another modest proposal; ask your friendly local motorcycle dealership what their opinion of the machine's value might be; trade-in and retail.

Unless . . . an "expert" stands forth!

Anyway . . . are you comfortable, kickstart-only? If so, the KLR250 remains perhaps the most under-rated dual-sport extant, IMHO.