Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #1321
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_doc View Post
I'm pretty new here so be easy...

I finally sold my Zx6r and want to play around with DS'in. I found a local listing for a little KLR but I'm having a hard time gauging what it is worth.

Any help on the value of a '02 KLR 250 with 3700 miles? FWIW it looks pretty clean.
In 2009 I bought my 2002 with 1400 miles for $1800. It had been sitting for a while and had a rusty tank. The carb was AFU as well. I put a new carb on it (not really needed) for $250. So that means I paid about $2050.

The real value of the bike you seek can be found at a price low enough for YOU to accept and high enough for the SELLER to accept.

8gv screwed with this post 12-07-2013 at 07:12 PM
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #1322
the_doc
Street Convert

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
The real value of the bike you seek can be found at a price low enough for YOU to accept and high enough for the SELLER to accept.
Very Wise.

Thanks for the price input, that gives me a little something to go off of
the_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #1323
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,136
Quote:
I'm pretty new here so be easy...

I finally sold my Zx6r and want to play around with DS'in. I found a local listing for a little KLR but I'm having a hard time gauging what it is worth.

Any help on the value of a '02 KLR 250 with 3700 miles? FWIW it looks pretty clean.
I bought my '02 earlier this year for $900. It needed a new chain and sprockets, fork seals, battery, and some odds and ends. Some elbow grease and about $300 later and it was running beautifully. For a clean one that is running, I personally wouldn't pay more than $1500 for it, given that it's a 12 year old budget bike.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #1324
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,837
Quote:
Thanks for the price input, that gives me a little something to go off of
Just curious, the_doc: What's the asking price for the KLR250 you have under consideration?
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #1325
MILLENNIUM FALCON
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
I bought a clean 95 klr250 with 6000k for $450 it had been sitting for 9 years but didnt need much to get it back on the road.
MILLENNIUM FALCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #1326
DangerousJohnson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I bought my '02 with 8500 miles in spring of 2012 for $1500.

It ran fine through the summer, though I did have to put some work into it over the winter.

It had some cosmetic issues (broken brake lever, scratched plastics) and some deferred maintenance (dirty carburetor, worn-out throttle cables, leaky petcock). New parts, paint, etc. set me back no more than $150.
DangerousJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #1327
nnamssorxela
\(_o)/

Oddometer: 51
Where are you guys getting these so cheap?! I just put my up in the marketplace.
nnamssorxela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:53 AM   #1328
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnamssorxela View Post
Where are you guys getting these so cheap?! I just put my up in the marketplace.
I paid $1400 for my '98 with 6K miles. It needed tires and fork seals to get through inspection, so call it $1,575. I'm in Baltimore. They pop up on Craigslist cheaper around here, too. I think it depends on where you are and the availability.
People want E-start too nowadays, so they pass on these bikes.

Edit: Just checked your add. That's a good deal for 2K, with all the mods, although folks who didn't know better might think 9K miles was high for that money. I would hold out for that if it were me. I'd post it up on KLR650.net in the KLR250 sub-forum, too. You'll have to go where people are already converts.

Thing with bikes is- you almost never get your money back out of them. Good luck!

MotoJ screwed with this post 11-13-2013 at 06:06 AM
MotoJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #1329
DangerousJohnson
Adventurer

Heated Grips

What do you guys recommend for heated grips on the the little 250?

The Oxford grips get great reviews both here at ADVrider and on Amazon.

I'm looking at this model, specifically: Oxford OF696Z Heaterz Sports Heated Handlebar Grips, Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QWG82U/...I1KIM683XTDCEW

However, $80 is a little spendy for me (it's a KLR, after all)... Anyone have experience or recommendations with grip heater kits that fit under regular grips? Or DIY designs?
Old 11-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #1330
nnamssorxela
\(_o)/

Oddometer: 51
Interesting range of prices. I purchased an abused '96 that was literally in boxes for ~$500, and that was the cheapest I have ever seen any motorcycle, running, wrecked, or not, especially a KLR. It needed a lot of work to be rideable/reliable, and was still in "rough" condition when I sold it, but I was able to sell it for $1700. Maybe they are just more expensive in my neck of the woods. My brother has a yamaha xt250 that he paid ~2700 for, and the KLR is faster on and off road, better equipped, taller and more "dirt bikey," liquid cooled, easier to work on etc., same with the crf230. Not sure why anyone would choose anything else but the KLR (maybe supersherpa) in my opinion.

DangerousJohnson, I have the oxford grips on my bike. I have yet to really use them, but I'm planning on going on a ride tomorrow and it should be pretty cold, so I can update then.

The PO installed them and had also converted ALL of the lights (except headlight) to LED in order to run them. I'm not positive what led him to believe that the grips would not work with the OEM set up, but perhaps the lights etc were noticeably dimmer when the heaters were in use.

They are a little thicker and harder than normal MX style grips, but I have not found this to be an issue. I do not have thinner palm gloves designed for heated grips, so take that into account as well. I'm not sure if I should wear my normal gloves or my insulated gloves (both leather) when using them, but maybe I'll do some trials tomorrow.

-Alex
nnamssorxela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #1331
DangerousJohnson
Adventurer

Quote:
Interesting range of prices. I purchased an abused '96 that was literally in boxes for ~$500, and that was the cheapest I have ever seen any motorcycle, running, wrecked, or not, especially a KLR. It needed a lot of work to be rideable/reliable, and was still in "rough" condition when I sold it, but I was able to sell it for $1700. Maybe they are just more expensive in my neck of the woods. My brother has a yamaha xt250 that he paid ~2700 for, and the KLR is faster on and off road, better equipped, taller and more "dirt bikey," liquid cooled, easier to work on etc., same with the crf230. Not sure why anyone would choose anything else but the KLR (maybe supersherpa) in my opinion.
My neck of the woods is the same. I see a lot of true dirt bikes on Craigslist, but almost no street legal dual sports. Most motorcycles I see for sale on CL, in front yards, etc. are Harleys or big 1980s-era Japanese cruisers. Bikes like the KLR250 seem to command a premium compared to what other people on here have paid elsewhere.

Quote:
DangerousJohnson, I have the oxford grips on my bike. I have yet to really use them, but I'm planning on going on a ride tomorrow and it should be pretty cold, so I can update then.

The PO installed them and had also converted ALL of the lights (except headlight) to LED in order to run them. I'm not positive what led him to believe that the grips would not work with the OEM set up, but perhaps the lights etc were noticeably dimmer when the heaters were in use.

They are a little thicker and harder than normal MX style grips, but I have not found this to be an issue. I do not have thinner palm gloves designed for heated grips, so take that into account as well. I'm not sure if I should wear my normal gloves or my insulated gloves (both leather) when using them, but maybe I'll do some trials tomorrow.

-Alex
Those sound great. Please do let me know how they hold up on a cold ride. Very curious.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #1332
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,687
Quote:
I'd buy yours if I was in the market. I might be actually one day. My 250 is actually my girlfriend's, I kind of want one of my own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #1333
Geezer22
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Question How About Windscreens for the 250?

Anyone have any experience with a windscreen on your 250? As far as I know the only aftermarket one available is the TCI product. Anyone try this yet?
My experience with a windscreen is that it is a less than perfect trade off; gaining the benefit of not having the wind on your body, but instead having noise and buffeting at the helmet.
I'm really hoping someone has some specific experience with the TCI (or any windscreen for that matter) on the KLR250, and can give some insight.
Thanks.
Geezer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #1334
rfoll
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
windscreen

The tci windscreen is a nice piece, but it needs to be higher to keep the helmet buffeting down at speeds over 50 mph. I raised mine 2 1/2" and it improved a lot. On the subject of prices, The dual sport bikes around here sell for 25 percent over book value. I paid $1200 for my '88 with 4000 miles, and it needed work. That was the best price I found for a usable bike. An extra $500 for a clean one is worth the price. Parts are expensive and hard to find.
rfoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #1335
Geezer22
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thanks rfoll. I suspected as much about the windscreen. Its good to have insight from someone with first hand experience. Is your bike a KLR250, and if so, do you consider it worth having the screen? It must certainly have an effect on such a small under-powered bike, as well as gas mileage. Or did you wind up taking it off?
Geezer22 is offline   Reply With Quote