Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2010, 07:16 PM   #121
andmoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,186
anyone know where I can download a klr250 manual?
Old 04-25-2010, 08:43 PM   #122
Quick5pnt0
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by andmoon
anyone know where I can download a klr250 manual?
Been looking for one myself, all I could find was a german version.

There is a 600 manual out there though which is the base manual for the 250. I dont have the link but you should be able to find it pretty easily on google.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #123
ECDLTF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Manual

I bought both on ebay. The supplemental just arrived today. You can try cheapcycleparts.com for a new one. Good luck![

QUOTE=Quick5pnt0]Been looking for one myself, all I could find was a german version.

There is a 600 manual out there though which is the base manual for the 250. I dont have the link but you should be able to find it pretty easily on google.[/QUOTE]
ECDLTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #124
ECDLTF
Adventurer

Ricochet Skid Plate

Does your Ricochet skid plate offer any protection to the hoses going into the water pump? I'd appreciate the information as I tore a hose due to a minor spill. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994klr250
The Ricochet skid plate offers much more protection vs the stock skid plate, I've had mine for about 1 year on my bike. It covers the entire bottom side of the engine and has some large ears that extend out on each side to protect the water pump. Turbo city has one but the price is almost 3 times that of the ricochet skid plate. http://www.turbocity.com/product_inf...roducts_id=691

For the price and protection the ricochet offers its a great deal. Here's some pictures.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #125
sprintstrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
New KLR250

Just got this bike from Craigslist. I am working on the rattle can fusion paint for Desert tan. I am excited to take it for the first longer ride today. I had it apart for several weeks, cleaned and rejetted carbs, put the stock pipe back on, added uni air filter, cleaned the 1/2 inch od schmootz out of the gas tank and replaced the petcock. I have chain and sprockets to do yet and brake pads and brake fluid change as well. i am sure one day the rear and front shocks need to be addressed. For now I am just going to ride it. When I added the stock pipe I realized the PO put a 130 width tire on the back and I smelt it!! I had to crank of the preload all the way and add some spacers on the pipe hanger. I will put a stock 120 width tire on the back when this one is gone. I was really excited when after all the jetting, clutch cable replacement and shims under the main needle how it kicked over and ran like a purring kitten on the 2nd kick. Hopefully in 8 days I will have the 2nd set of plastic painted and a desert tan look!! This is a func bike, I need to go ride today after church!!!
Attached Images

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with me." Jesus Christ- letter to the lukewarm church-- Revelation 3:20
Anyone ever ask themselves why is Jesus on the outside of the church door???

sprintstrider screwed with this post 05-02-2010 at 10:00 AM
sprintstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:57 AM   #126
billonthehill
n00b

Oddometer: 1
So with all the hot weather the electrical tape fix on my turn signals kept failing. A trip to the hardware store resulted in a good fix for less than $2.00 each

This is what I started with

I bought a5/8th inch metal coupler and cut it into half

then I welded the halfs of the coupler to the threaded pieces that were part of the original turnsignals

Add the 5/8th heater hose and pipe clamps

and now you have another cheap KLR fix.
billonthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #127
valvecrusher
tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer: 1,703
Does anyone know where to get 5" x 5.5" AIR filter for the 1986 KLR250?

I'd like to have a "K&N" style air filter, but anything similar will be perfect.
Thanks.

My stock OEM air filter crumbled to dust when i pulled it out from winter storage.

*edit*
air filter, to be more clear

Fixed my post.(AIR filter)

All the air filters for 87-05 on Ebay are pictured, as round.

MY '86 is clearly 5"x5.5" square(rectangular).....

I just wasn't sure if the Ebay ones were going to fit my square filter, as they are all pictured as round, and none claim to fit the '86.

And since it looks like general loose open cell foam, i'm going to try to find a KLR spirited fix.

I probably have some old foam lying around.

valvecrusher screwed with this post 05-07-2010 at 11:11 PM
valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #128
sportmotogear
Mr. Fancy Pants

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValveCrusher
Does anyone know where to get 5" x 5.5" filter for the 1986 KLR250?

I'd like to have a "K&N" style filter, but anything similar will be perfect.
Thanks.

My stock filter crumbled to dust when i pulled it out from winter storage.
Off the K&N website.

http://www.KNFILTERS.COM/search/prod...px?Prod=KN-123
sportmotogear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:09 PM   #129
sprintstrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintstrider
Just got this bike from Craigslist. I am working on the rattle can fusion paint for Desert tan. I am excited to take it for the first longer ride today. I had it apart for several weeks, cleaned and rejetted carbs, put the stock pipe back on, added uni air filter, cleaned the 1/2 inch od schmootz out of the gas tank and replaced the petcock. I have chain and sprockets to do yet and brake pads and brake fluid change as well. i am sure one day the rear and front shocks need to be addressed. For now I am just going to ride it. When I added the stock pipe I realized the PO put a 130 width tire on the back and I smelt it!! I had to crank of the preload all the way and add some spacers on the pipe hanger. I will put a stock 120 width tire on the back when this one is gone. I was really excited when after all the jetting, clutch cable replacement and shims under the main needle how it kicked over and ran like a purring kitten on the 2nd kick. Hopefully in 8 days I will have the 2nd set of plastic painted and a desert tan look!! This is a func bike, I need to go ride today after church!!!

Bummer big time, I got it running and was having a great time until my motor seized. I can now not kick it over as the it locked up hard. I am bumming big time. Hmmm....

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with me." Jesus Christ- letter to the lukewarm church-- Revelation 3:20
Anyone ever ask themselves why is Jesus on the outside of the church door???
sprintstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #130
ECDLTF
Adventurer

Sorry to hear the bad news

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I too took a chance and bought a KLR250 off Craigslist, and so far it's been working fine. I guess it's hit and miss when you buy something used. Maybe you can find a used motor from a Mojave. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintstrider
Bummer big time, I got it running and was having a great time until my motor seized. I can now not kick it over as the it locked up hard. I am bumming big time. Hmmm....
Old 05-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #131
sportmotogear
Mr. Fancy Pants

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportmotogear
I should pay more attention. I knew yo wanted an air filter, but threw up the link for the oil filter.
sportmotogear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:17 PM   #132
andmoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,186
What's the trick to starting the bike warm?
Mine starts and runs great when cold or hot (1~2 kicks) but when warm like after a 15~20 min. break it takes 20 kicks to start.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #133
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by andmoon
What's the trick to starting the bike warm?
Mine starts and runs great when cold or hot (1~2 kicks) but when warm like after a 15~20 min. break it takes 20 kicks to start.
Use the choke even though you shouldn't have to. If that doesn't fix it it may be time to check/adjust your valves.
Hannda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #134
redneckdan
Hold my beer & watch this

Oddometer: 576
I'm pretty sure that hard starting while warm is due to tight valves.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:09 AM   #135
Merle O'Broham
too beaucoup

Oddometer: 1,625
Hi all, just picked up a mini klr- a 2000 bone stock with 2660 miles, tires still with nips. Dollop of SeaFoam through the system and it's good to go. Great little scoot-around bike!

now to get to it- suspension, bars, heated grips, rack, windshield, lighting, on and on.....!
Merle O'Broham is offline   Reply With Quote