ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2008, 05:49 PM   #46
bartender
Jack of all trades

Oddometer: 83
Been reading the last couple of posts, and thought I should chime in a bit. What are you all getting all high and mighty about because you have "gear". No offense, but I log in more miles on my bike each year than most people here probably do, all without said "gear". Does that make me less of a rider? If you ride for the right reasons, what you're on or what you're wearing shouldn't matter.
bartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:15 AM   #47
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,219
Is it just me, or has this been a really wet Summer? Damn, I feel like I'm back in Oregon. Except with more mosquitoes.
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:42 AM   #48
RedFrogTango
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartender
Been reading the last couple of posts, and thought I should chime in a bit. What are you all getting all high and mighty about because you have "gear". No offense, but I log in more miles on my bike each year than most people here probably do, all without said "gear". Does that make me less of a rider? If you ride for the right reasons, what you're on or what you're wearing shouldn't matter.
I have to agree. I ride about 18K per year commuting between the loop and the burbs on my yellow GS (or hacked silver Strom). As long as there is no ice on the road, I ride. Helmet and gloves? Yep. But that is usually about it for me, unless I am dressed for the rain or cold. It is a risk that I am quite comfortable with.
RedFrogTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:17 AM   #49
djmase
something catchy.

Oddometer: 286
I don't think that these guys are compaining about lack of gear or not. It is more a general comment about the over farkled bike for no apparent reason other than 'the cool factor'.
Like the guy with the DeLorean who parks by the lake, opens the doors up, and stands next to it...just because he can. Maybe the thought they have is..."If your GS is you commuter bike, and you are just doing the helmet and glove thing, great...but loose top box, side boxes, and superiourity complex."
I am just saying here, not trying to stir the pot, just looking at it objectively.
(As a note, I find the Harley guy "I am too cool to wave to you fellow biker complex" is spreading over to the adv guys too...and that is sad."
Final thought...one could complain just as much about the guy on the over tricked street bike that has never been to the track, wearing the one piece leather race outfit for commuting.
cheers.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:17 PM   #50
RedFrogTango
Studly Adventurer

I suppose. On the other hand, there are a few farkles that are pretty important for the daily commuter. Side cases to carry my rain gear, bungees, Ipass, tools and whatever work files I need to take home, auxilary lights to see better and be better seen when ridng at dusk and dawn, and an Alaskan butt pad.

In any event, even I will do a double-take whenever I see a helmetless rider on a GS or other big dual-sport (although not too many of these around here).
Old 07-01-2008, 07:14 AM   #51
StromBoni
Hot Dog Captain

Oddometer: 658
I, like many, vacillate on the issue of gear and what to wear when.

Then I read this:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355015

And I remember that I am most definitely a MTGATT. Most of the gear, all the time. Always, helmet, gloves, jacket, and boots.

Others can do what they like, but especially with all of the close calls I have had (car and moto) here in Chicago, and living on the West Side with the worst drivers in the city, I just won't go out without it.
StromBoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:21 AM   #52
djmase
something catchy.

Oddometer: 286
Have to agree with stromboni on this one. I am often tempted to just hop on the Z and "go pick up "X" it is only a mile away, what can happen in a mile?" Thus far I have held out, either I put my gear on, or I don't ride.
I grew up in the country and spent a great deal of my life bombing through woods and gravel pits on MX bikes with jeans and a tee shirt as riding gear. Seeing a handful of wrecks, getting a bit older, and realizing that if I come off I am going to be seriously tuned if not dead, depending on speed and situation, just kind of makes one consider...."what is my life really worth?" It would seem that one's self worth could nearly be measured off how much gear do they wear in the typical day to day situational riding.
Cheers.
djm
Old 07-01-2008, 07:24 AM   #53
bartender
Jack of all trades

I have to agree with RedFrog here, some farkles are definately needed. My sidecases and tankbag are always full, heated grips and hand spoilers are a godsend when it's cold out, more lights to better see with, etc. Again, I said I respect anyone for riding if the riding is done for the right reasons, and we all know plenty of people who don't fall into this category I'm sure. So let's just keep an eye out for each other and give a nod or a wave; gear or no gear.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:33 PM   #54
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Quote:
.... So let's just keep an eye out for each other and give a nod or a wave; gear or no gear.
I'll be the guy on Sheridan rd to lakeshore dr earlafternoon heading to UIC. I-90 after 9:00 p.m. heading back North. I'll either be on the ratted out DR650 or the R90. Make sure you give the proper salute after you wave.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:28 PM   #55
bartender
Jack of all trades

And I'll be the guy all over the NW burbs, riding an unidentified black bike in floral shorts!
Old 07-01-2008, 03:12 PM   #56
RedFrogTango
Studly Adventurer

I can usually be found most days heading between any two of the loop, McHenry or Geneva.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:14 AM   #57
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Quote:
And I'll be the guy all over the NW burbs, riding an unidentified black bike in floral shorts!
Cool, I've never seen a bike in floral shorts before . I'll keep an eye out for you.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:42 AM   #58
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,841
So who is riding this weekend?? and where?? I need to get out Saturday and or Sunday.
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:12 AM   #59
StromBoni
Hot Dog Captain

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvestal
So who is riding this weekend?? and where?? I need to get out Saturday and or Sunday.
I think we are getting that TW in Michigan for Jess on Sunday. It depends on a lot of factors, but we might be headed back in to Chicago around the right time to stop off and go for a ride.

I will give you a call on Sunday to let you know.
StromBoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:05 PM   #60
bartender
Jack of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhach
Cool, I've never seen a bike in floral shorts before . I'll keep an eye out for you.
Haha, I gotta say, the bike looks pretty good in the shorts too! Bit windy out today, no?