ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #8056
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND
 
STANIMAL's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 2,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
I miss my reeds....
real two smokes have ports.
__________________
If it don't have tits, spark plugs or gun powder, it don't interest me. ---Moose Dog
If you don't organize your tools, you're a terrible person.---Aghartha
You twatwaffles who enjoy fucking duffelbags full of deer antlers, simply stay out of the thread. ---Hardware02
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:41 AM   #8057
Moose Dog
Trouble maker
 
Moose Dog's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Land of the Lincoln
Oddometer: 2,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
Truck washes are cheap.
Jeebus, I could not not drive all because of a little salt.
That's because you drive junk.
__________________
Forest City Riders club member
Moose Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #8058
Daytrader
Missin' Texas
 
Daytrader's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: MDI, Maine
Oddometer: 350
Moving back home from Austin

Cliff's notes version.
Dad died a few weeks ago, flew up for the doings, sisters and mom want me to stay.
Mom's in the early stages of dementia, failed her drivers test miserably, tries to change channels using the phone, and somehow got it stuck in her head that I lived in Arizona, which I never have.
Big house, lots of basic maintenance has been lax. Sisters have too much to do with their own families.
So I'm back here til we can figure out what to do with her.
Never really wanted to live here again. Haven't seen the sun since last Sunday.
Too crowded, loud, and it never really gets dark.
Gotta do what I gotta do though.
Pros; Blackhawks, beef sandwiches, Palermo's pizza.
I do 90% of my work online so I could really live anywhere.
Just didn't think I'd end up back here.
I grew up riding a bike around here so I get the traffic thing. Seems like you've got to go a bit further nowadays to get out of town.
Looking forward to meeting some fellow riders. I haven't lived here in 20 years.
I'll be up here permanently next weekend.
Went to the Triumph place on 19th and Western yesterday and looked at a new Husky in Countryside on Thursday. Nice folks.
My Tiger seems like too much bike for city riding. Smaller bike might be more fun.
Subscribed.
Later, John
__________________
'07 Tiger 1050 - '14 CRF 250L
Daytrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:18 AM   #8059
OU812
Legend in my own Mind!
 
OU812's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Buffalo Grove IL and Killing Threads...
Oddometer: 8,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Dog View Post
That's because you drive junk.
2012 is not junk. I wash it and drive it.
Of course I didn't spend my left nut either.
__________________
Getting Old ain't for pussies....................Lorazapam
Even when you do something right people will think you didn't do anything at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bVGTVrQd6M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=aYDfwUJzYQg
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:30 AM   #8060
Moose Dog
Trouble maker
 
Moose Dog's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Land of the Lincoln
Oddometer: 2,900
I bought the truck I wanted, not the one my wife wanted.
__________________
Forest City Riders club member
Moose Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:39 AM   #8061
OU812
Legend in my own Mind!
 
OU812's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Buffalo Grove IL and Killing Threads...
Oddometer: 8,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Dog View Post
I bought the truck I wanted, not the one my wife wanted.
My wife didn't want me taking her 03' Explorer on trips so yes I got a 97' Dodge junker and no I don't drive it unless I have to.
Total opposite?
__________________
Getting Old ain't for pussies....................Lorazapam
Even when you do something right people will think you didn't do anything at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bVGTVrQd6M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=aYDfwUJzYQg
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #8062
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND
 
STANIMAL's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 2,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytrader View Post
Cliff's notes version.
Dad died a few weeks ago, flew up for the doings, sisters and mom want me to stay.
Mom's in the early stages of dementia, failed her drivers test miserably, tries to change channels using the phone, and somehow got it stuck in her head that I lived in Arizona, which I never have.
Big house, lots of basic maintenance has been lax. Sisters have too much to do with their own families.
So I'm back here til we can figure out what to do with her.
Never really wanted to live here again. Haven't seen the sun since last Sunday.
Too crowded, loud, and it never really gets dark.
Gotta do what I gotta do though.
Pros; Blackhawks, beef sandwiches, Palermo's pizza.
I do 90% of my work online so I could really live anywhere.
Just didn't think I'd end up back here.
I grew up riding a bike around here so I get the traffic thing. Seems like you've got to go a bit further nowadays to get out of town.
Looking forward to meeting some fellow riders. I haven't lived here in 20 years.
I'll be up here permanently next weekend.
Went to the Triumph place on 19th and Western yesterday and looked at a new Husky in Countryside on Thursday. Nice folks.
My Tiger seems like too much bike for city riding. Smaller bike might be more fun.
Subscribed.
Later, John
Sorry for your loss and welcome back.
__________________
If it don't have tits, spark plugs or gun powder, it don't interest me. ---Moose Dog
If you don't organize your tools, you're a terrible person.---Aghartha
You twatwaffles who enjoy fucking duffelbags full of deer antlers, simply stay out of the thread. ---Hardware02
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #8063
uska
Gnarly Adventurer
 
uska's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: chicago
Oddometer: 125
Question

Hello, could anyone recommend me a cheap but trustworthy motorcycle mechanic around chicago? I lost the spark plug threads on my te610 and do not have the time to take the head of myself and put in a heli coil.

Thanks for everything..
uska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #8064
Daytrader
Missin' Texas
 
Daytrader's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: MDI, Maine
Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
Sorry for your loss and welcome back.
Thanks Stanimal.
__________________
'07 Tiger 1050 - '14 CRF 250L
Daytrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #8065
Moose Dog
Trouble maker
 
Moose Dog's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Land of the Lincoln
Oddometer: 2,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by uska View Post
Hello, could anyone recommend me a cheap but trustworthy motorcycle mechanic around chicago? I lost the spark plug threads on my te610 and do not have the time to take the head of myself and put in a heli coil.

Thanks for everything..

Don't have to remove teh head for a thread repair and there's no such thing as a cheap mechanic around Chi-town.
__________________
Forest City Riders club member
Moose Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #8066
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND
 
STANIMAL's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 2,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by uska View Post
Hello, could anyone recommend me a cheap but trustworthy motorcycle mechanic around chicago? I lost the spark plug threads on my te610 and do not have the time to take the head of myself and put in a heli coil.

Thanks for everything..
I am in Glenview , if that helps .
__________________
If it don't have tits, spark plugs or gun powder, it don't interest me. ---Moose Dog
If you don't organize your tools, you're a terrible person.---Aghartha
You twatwaffles who enjoy fucking duffelbags full of deer antlers, simply stay out of the thread. ---Hardware02
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #8067
uska
Gnarly Adventurer
 
uska's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: chicago
Oddometer: 125
At this moment I'm kinda spooked to try and re thread it myself... I've taken off the tank and the rads and stopped there for a moment. Would you put the engine at TDC and fill the hole with a bit of grease to catch the shavings?

Anyway I'd rather have someone else do it for me.



What a shame
uska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #8068
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer
 
bogieboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Clifton Springs NY
Oddometer: 822
the old kawasaki is back kickin, despite having a respiratory infection i went out to the shop and put that son of a gun back together....gotta plug the oil lines though, since im running it as a premix bike now, and they are making it run lean.... but the engine isnt a pile of parts on the bench anymore, so thats a good start....LOL its back in the frame and i ran it for about 20 min, need to play with the timing a bit, its weak in the top end, although that could just be that its going a hair lean....gonna fix that first, then look at the timing.
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #8069
andrewgore
Team MGH
 
andrewgore's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: NW Suburbs, IL
Oddometer: 3,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by uska View Post
At this moment I'm kinda spooked to try and re thread it myself... I've taken off the tank and the rads and stopped there for a moment. Would you put the engine at TDC and fill the hole with a bit of grease to catch the shavings?

Anyway I'd rather have someone else do it for me.



What a shame
Uska,
I had to do the same thing to a bike a long time ago. Put the piston at the top of its stroke. Drill & tap the hole out for the heli-coil with a shop-vac going to suck out the bulk of the chips. If you can get a nozzle down in there while you're drilling\tapping, it'd help.

If you get any chips down in the bore, use the vacuum to suck out as much as you can. There's no perfect way to get 100% of the chips out (aside from removing the head), but in all honesty, it's aluminum. It should shoot out the exhaust.

Then just go ahead and thread in the heli-coil insert. Make sure you get the helicoil inserting tool. Otherwise, you'll be cursing a lot. There's a few writeups online if you need more direction\assistance\etc.

Andrew
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #8070
Moose Dog
Trouble maker
 
Moose Dog's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Land of the Lincoln
Oddometer: 2,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
I am in Glenview , if that helps .
Sorry.........I shoulda said "a good cheap mechanic"
__________________
Forest City Riders club member
Moose Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014