User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2004, 12:44 PM   #1
DJMARLEY OP
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 225
640Adventure Steering Stabilizer

I have an '03 640Adventure and looking to put a steering dampener on it. I was looking over at the ktm-talk.com site and there seems to be conflicting info. Some say yes, others say no to a bolt on mount from GPR. In the KTM Hardparts books they list the fancy orange anodized GPR v2.0 that mounts under the handle bars. Works as a bar riser as well (which would take care of the other item I was thinking of doing too) so I spoke with my local KTM dealer who took the triple clamp apart and says there is no way the GPR unit will mount as the steering lock is in the way. Even with the lock out of the way it still may not fit?

Just want to see what others have done, recomend before I go and one, chop off the steering lock (don't really want to do that as I may want it at some point...plus it's a brand new '03) and/or even after removing and/or cutting the steering lock from the frame the bolt on mount may still yet not fit as this GPR unit was designed for the EXC/MXC models with a whole different head tube...which may or may not have a differnent diameter.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as before I get into a weld on mount I want to know all my options...and problem with the weld on mount is the fuel tank and lack of space available for the post coming up.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:06 PM   #2
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
Don't let this stuff frustrate you too much, I have what I feel to be a pretty good dealer, but they just don't know much about LC4's in comparison to the EXC/SXC.

The upper triple clamp of the LC4's, is set up with rubber anti vibe bar mounts, so EXC/SXC stuff generally won't work. (I never got as far as the steering lock, but that is good to know as well.)

I'd steer you toward the Scott's damper, I won't argue the point of it being better or worse, but it can be used on so many other bikes, so you should be able to move it to your next bike. (I know, it's hard to imagine a "next bike" when you own a 640 ADV, LOL.) And in the case you decide to sell it, it has a much broader audience.

Downside of the Scott's: I suspect the total cost for everything, especially if you want risers, will be more. And as I see it you need to figure out how high you want to go with your risers, then modify the weld on tower to be tall enough, and install the damper mount (upper bar mounts) damper, and tower all at once. I'll try to post a pic of my stock Scott's weld on tower mount on my 640. Hope this makes some sense, and helps you out a bit. Cheers, Mack
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 01:37 PM   #3
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
Damn, I done did a pun in that third paragraph, and didn't even realize it. :):

Plenty of room for the tower. (Please excuse the dirt, good days for washing bikes, are even better days for riding.) Cheers, Mack
Attached Images

Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 03:43 PM   #4
DJMARLEY OP
Let's Ride

Anyone else?

Thanks for the help Mack.

Anyone else putting a steering dampener on their 640Adventure???

Pics?
Old 02-07-2004, 03:43 AM   #5
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,354
Hi DJ,

Here's my Scotts and weld-on tower.

Scotts do do a bolt on tower for the LC4 but you do have to cut the steering lock, although they say that it will still work. I have a pdf of the Scotts instructions that includes pics. if you would like to see it pm me your e-mail and I will send it to you. After reading it I decided to go for the weld-on ower as it seemed like less work.

I'd agree with mack on the Scotts from the point of view of being able to keep it and move it from bike to bike. I have had mine for about 6 years now, starting on my mk1 KTM Adventure, then moved it to a Honda Africa Twin, then back to my '02 Adventure - wouldn't be without it now, it's the first thing that I would look to fit to a new bike (if I were to change).
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2004, 05:04 AM   #6
DJMARLEY OP
Let's Ride

more on dampeners

[QUOTE]Said KTiM:
Hi DJ,

Here's my Scotts and weld-on tower. Scotts do do a bolt on tower for the LC4 but you do have to cut the steering lock

Okay, I thought that was the case....there was a bunch of posts over on ktm-talk.com that said a bolt on tower was possible but I just don't see how with the 640Adventure. Maybe for some of the older LC4's, maybe they have a different steering tube? or the 625SXC with no lock at all? I know there are some differences as I had a '00 640LC4.

I'm using the GPR dampeners on 2 of my other bikes and like the big central knob they have. I don't tend to sell bikes too quickly so I may see if I can rig up a weld-on mount for the GPR unit. I'll take a look at the Scott's unit as number of my buddies use them. Once I figure out what can fit it's kind of personal choice from there.
Old 02-07-2004, 02:38 PM   #7
witzgall
Goin' South

Oddometer: 220
GPR on an 2001 Adventure R.

I currently have a GPR installed on my 2001 Adventure R. It is using a bolt-on guide post.

The post did not install as is, and if I had a choice, I would go for a braze on in the future, or at least consider it. Here is what I had to do to install:

1.Cut off the steering lock.

2. Install a shorter dust shield. Actually, I first cut down the hight of the existing shield, then my dealer gave me one that is designed for when you install a scott unit.

3. The bolt on post will not clear the stock handlebar cradle mounting bolt nuts. I had some hardened steel bolts that were are smaller diameter, and thus had smaller nuts. It cleared these.

This is for an above-handlebar GPR, the new below-bar units might be different.

The gas cap actually grazes the end of the post guide on the unit when screwing in the cap. I had a bit of an "Oh shit" moment when I went to put the cap back on, but then I realized it was OK. I think a metal gas cap might cause problems.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 02:49 PM   #8
DJMARLEY OP
Let's Ride

local

Hey, you're jsut down the road from me. I went to school in Groton, at Lawrence Academy '86-'89.

Maybe we can meet at MotoMarket some time?
Old 02-08-2004, 12:48 PM   #9
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,354
Hey DJ, tried to e-mail you the Scotts pdf twice but it just bounced back to me, any ideas? If you're a member of the Yahoo ktm group I could post it in the Files section.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:22 PM   #10
DJMARLEY OP
Let's Ride

Quote:
Said KTiM:
Hey DJ, tried to e-mail you the Scotts pdf twice but it just bounced back to me, any ideas? If you're a member of the Yahoo ktm group I could post it in the Files section.
Not a member of the yahoo group. There's only so many boards/emails I can read.

I appreciate trying to send the .pdf file of the Scotts install but I'm going to try to fit a GPR unit with either a weld/bolt on mount.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:09 AM   #11
Gazda
Willi Diego

Oddometer: 2
Scott vs GPR Steering Damper

Having read the above I am curious if anyone else has had experience(good or bad) with these two units. My '03 640 is getting new rubber and the folks at Precision Concepts rec'd and the GPR. Ive seen some good reviews for EMIG, W.E.R.and Scott as well. Any input on any of these four different manufacturers will be greatly appreciated ? It appears to be a pretty hefty upgrade $$ so id like to do it righht the first time....Willi

Gazda screwed with this post 01-17-2009 at 10:38 AM
Gazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:40 AM   #12
KTMdiehard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
scotts

I have owned Scotts stabilizers for 20 yr's. Will not ride without one (ok...unless I have to). I feel there is none better. The adjustability, flexability on mounting, and ability to move it to the next bike is unmatched in my opinion. I have a Scotts with a weld on tower for my 06 640 ADV and it fits without a problem. It is tight, but fits. I purchased a universal mount for the bars, no bar risers...
KTMdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote