ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
1200gsceej OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
1200gsceej's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Francisco Peninsula
Oddometer: 1,229
What's good to ride and see near Reno?

Ol'Badger and I are doing a 4-day weekend in 2 weeks. Mammoth Mountain first night. Then visit Virginia City. Could go from there to Lake Tahoe (north or south). Or could go to Reno and then to Lake Tahoe, either via Truckee or over Mt Rose.
Do folks have recommendations if we went the Reno route? What roads to ride, places to visit. We prefer mostly pavement, but could be mildly adventurous off road.
Also what about inexpensive/funky/interesting place to stay (Casino, other) in Reno area? and eat (we like meat)?
Thanks,
-ceej
__________________
My bike: Yellow '05 1200GS - on the Spotwalla ADV location page as CJ3.
My solo trips: SF to Colorado and back 2011 and 2013, SF-LA loop, Pinnacles and Carmel Valley loop
With Ol'Badger: http://www.2guysonbikes.com
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:17 PM   #2
bdesj
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Reno, NV
Oddometer: 118
Nice time of year for Tahoe- perfect temps and small crowds. Mt Rose Hwy from incline to the south end of Reno (changes numbers and continues to Virginia City) is a nice curvy road. 267 or 89 From Tahoe to Truckee, then 80 to Reno are fine too, but nothing to go out of your way for. If you haven`t been to Truckee though, you might want to go that way to check out the downtown area. It`s kinda old-townie with lots of small places for good eats.

Virginia City isn`t very big, won`t take long to see. They have a few little museums you could check out (or not), but I think it`s main attraction are the roads to and from. Good option to remember is that you can connect directly between Carson and VC and of course between Carson and Tahoe. My favorite grub in Carson is from a place called Villa Basque Cafe, serving a mixed Mexican-Basque fare. If that interests you, you can find the hours and address easily on Google.

Other places to consider within 90 min or so from Reno would be Graeagle (half as an excuse to ride 49 and Gold Lake Hwy, half for the awesome pastries at The Village Bakery in Blairsden) or any of the towns in the Carson Valley (Minden, Gardnerville, Genoa).

If we get a cold snap through the area, you might start seeing some color in the trees by then. Hope Valley and surrounding areas are classic color watching areas. Another Fall possibility is the Salmon run at Taylor Creek at Tahoe- not sure if they`ll be running yet, but it`s pretty cool to check out, especially if you go when the stream profile chamber is open with a big glass window to watch the show from an underwater vantage point.

For the first half of your return to the Bay Area, you might like either Hwy 70 through the Feather River Canyon to Oroville or 49 (killer twisties!) along the Yuba River as far as Auburn or cut over from NV City to Colfax.
bdesj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:06 AM   #3
yobuddy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Central Cal.
Oddometer: 184
A few thoughts....

Lots of great roads. Head up towards Lake Amador. Down Hwy70 along through the Feather River Canyon and back up by Gold Lake. Can also travel south on 395, before you get to Lake Topaz head east and then south along the Walker River down to Bridgeport. Really depends on how much riding you want to do. A trip over the sierra's on 108, 88 or 4 is always fun. Just some rough ideas, Can give more details if your interested.
__________________
'08 R1200 GSA
'08 BMW K1200S
'07 BMW Xchallenge
yobuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:24 AM   #4
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Oddometer: 2,723
Go to Bodie (north). (Real Ghost town)
Take your cameras.
__________________
"I don't really know, I've been too busy falling down."
TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 6,799
I don't suppose you will be in Virginia City on September 13th. That will be a happinin' weekend.

Ferrari Club holds their annual hill climb event just outside town. They close the highway, and rich folks bring trailers full of cool cars (not just Ferraris) to run the mountain. We like to park on the dirt road across the canyon to watch them (and the steam train that runs just below the road). Last time we were there, the pinion pine trees were producing pinion nuts (aka pine nuts). Shake a few cones off the tree and try them.

Steampunk Ball: Piper's Opera Hall turns into a haven for Sci Fi geeks who like to drink and hoop it up. Lots of cleavage on display. The bar there makes a really good "Pican" (whisky with vermouth, bitters, and cherry).

Riding: Hwy 89 out of Topaz, looping around the west side of Tahoe, is a nice ride. If you want some little side trips off road, you could take the easy dirt roads from Virginia Lakes to Bridgeport: I think its called Dunderberg Meadow Road or something. Another side trip is Burnside Lake, which is at the intersection of Hwy 88/89. It has been many years since I camped up there in my truck, but that is more challenging.

Food: Mountain View BBQ in Walker has some of the best brisket in the west. You'll see the big meat smoker out front.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:21 PM   #6
scorpion
Two arm bandit
 
scorpion's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Planet Reno
Oddometer: 5,352
There's a lot of scenic forest roads to explore perfect for big bikes.
Best time of the year for riding IMO.

PM me when yur in town, I really need to fire up the 990.
__________________

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #7
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Oddometer: 733
A couple of years ago I traveled to Reno from Las Vegas because it sounded interesting. Unfortunately the most interesting thing I saw were the large amounts of fat people on mobility scooters at the downtown bus depot.

I imagine it's more interesting with a motorcycle at your disposal though.
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:49 PM   #8
scorpion
Two arm bandit
 
scorpion's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Planet Reno
Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
A couple of years ago I traveled to Reno from Las Vegas because it sounded interesting. Unfortunately the most interesting thing I saw were the large amounts of fat people on mobility scooters at the downtown bus depot.

I imagine it's more interesting with a motorcycle at your disposal though.
Reno has poor fat people like Melbourne has piss heads.
Don't hate on it if you've never got past the bus station.
Lake Tahoe was like 25 miles away!
__________________

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:00 PM   #9
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
Reno has poor fat people like Melbourne has piss heads.
Don't hate on it if you've never got past the bus station.
Lake Tahoe was like 25 miles away!
Yes I went to Tahoe from there and it was very beautiful. Was around this time of year as well.
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:35 AM   #10
bdesj
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Reno, NV
Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
Don't hate on it if you've never got past the bus station.
Word!
bdesj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #11
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Reno
Oddometer: 1,157
Sonora (108), Ebbetts (4), Carson (88) are all good if they would fit into your route. Traveling up or down 395, there is a scenic route from Mammoth that loops back into 395 north of town. Hwy 89 Monitor is a great twisty mountain road. 89-Markleeville-Hwy 88 to Luther Pass to So Tahoe is good. Around Tahoe on a weekend is slow going. Kingsbury Grade (Genoa to Stateline/So Tahoe is good. Look for Foothill road (Between 395 and Sierras)to bypass 395 from Gardnerville to Carson City.

You can also include Six Mile Canyon coming or going VC-hwy 50. Hwy 89 north of I 80 opens up a lot of less tourist areas. Downieville is a great ride as well as 49 back up to NV City. Or Quincy and Feather River Canyon to/from Oroville.

All suggested is paved. Dirt options exist too.

You need more than 4 days.

Have fun
__________________
KTMs--300, 518, 990

renogeorge screwed with this post 09-10-2014 at 01:58 PM
renogeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:03 PM   #12
1200gsceej OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
1200gsceej's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Francisco Peninsula
Oddometer: 1,229
Thanks! More questions.

No, we are going to be riding Fri-Mon 19-22. So we'll miss the fast cars. But the steam train sounds interesting. What's it?
Is the ball the same weekend? Ol'Badger does like cleavage. Will it (the cleavage) still be around somewhere that he can get a good looksee?
Easy dirt road from Virginia City to Bridgeport sounds interesting, too. I'll go look at a map, but can you give us a pointer? What about between Bridgeport and Bodie?
And thanks for the Walker BBQ info!
-ceej

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I don't suppose you will be in Virginia City on September 13th. That will be a happinin' weekend.

Ferrari Club holds their annual hill climb event just outside town. They close the highway, and rich folks bring trailers full of cool cars (not just Ferraris) to run the mountain. We like to park on the dirt road across the canyon to watch them (and the steam train that runs just below the road). Last time we were there, the pinion pine trees were producing pinion nuts (aka pine nuts). Shake a few cones off the tree and try them.

Steampunk Ball: Piper's Opera Hall turns into a haven for Sci Fi geeks who like to drink and hoop it up. Lots of cleavage on display. The bar there makes a really good "Pican" (whisky with vermouth, bitters, and cherry).

Riding: Hwy 89 out of Topaz, looping around the west side of Tahoe, is a nice ride. If you want some little side trips off road, you could take the easy dirt roads from Virginia Lakes to Bridgeport: I think its called Dunderberg Meadow Road or something. Another side trip is Burnside Lake, which is at the intersection of Hwy 88/89. It has been many years since I camped up there in my truck, but that is more challenging.

Food: Mountain View BBQ in Walker has some of the best brisket in the west. You'll see the big meat smoker out front.
__________________
My bike: Yellow '05 1200GS - on the Spotwalla ADV location page as CJ3.
My solo trips: SF to Colorado and back 2011 and 2013, SF-LA loop, Pinnacles and Carmel Valley loop
With Ol'Badger: http://www.2guysonbikes.com
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #13
1200gsceej OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
1200gsceej's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Francisco Peninsula
Oddometer: 1,229
Where is 6 Mile Canyon?

We are very familiar with 89 (riddden the whole length twice) and 88 and 4 (wow). And I just did the Genoa to SLT road coming back from Colorado. We'll be sure to take the scenic back road to Mammoth - we are staying there the first night.
But I dont think we know 6 Mile Canyon. Is it anywhere near Emmigrant Pass Road (which we did part of many years ago and may do again this time).
thanks,
-ceej

Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
Sonora (108), Ebbetts (4), Carson (88) are all good if they would fit into your route. Traveling up or down 395, there is a scenic route from Mammoth that loops back into 395 north of town. Hwy 89 Monitor is a great twisty mountain road. 89-Markleeville-Hwy 88 to Luther Pass to So Tahoe is good. Around Tahoe on a weekend is slow going. Kingsbury Grade (Genoa to Stateline/So Tahoe is good. Look for Foothill road (Between 395 and Sierras)to bypass 395 from Gardnerville to Carson City.

You can also include Six Mile Canyon coming or going VC-hwy 50. Hwy 89 north of I 80 opens up a lot of less tourist areas. Downieville is a great ride as well as 49 back up to NV City. Or Quincy and Feather River Canyon to/from Oroville.

All suggested is paved. Dirt options exist too.

You need more than 4 days.

Have fun
__________________
My bike: Yellow '05 1200GS - on the Spotwalla ADV location page as CJ3.
My solo trips: SF to Colorado and back 2011 and 2013, SF-LA loop, Pinnacles and Carmel Valley loop
With Ol'Badger: http://www.2guysonbikes.com
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #14
drewh108
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Reno, NV
Oddometer: 37
six mile

Six mile canyon runs East from the North end of Virginia City. Fun little road. Watch out for traffic and cops though.
drewh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:00 AM   #15
Eyes Shut
See no evil
 
Eyes Shut's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Oddometer: 2,032
If you are in the Walker Lake area anyway, Hawthorne has an interesting ordnance museum.
http://www.hawthorneordnancemuseum.com/
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014