ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #676
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFVC600R View Post
Thank you

People get dirt bikes legal out here all the time! Do more lurkin', the info is in ADV somewhere. I just want to see cool deals!

That KTM is a sweet looking machine! 221 hours is a little high for a 2 stroke, no?
221 hours is like 5-7 rides a year... new piston 100 miles ago. That's barely ridden.

Guests are encouraged.
Jeff aka BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:29 AM   #677
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,257
I only had one two stroke and it was a little turd, and only ridden a handful, I don't know much about them. Thanks.
My buddy has a 2000 YZ250 with almost 1000 hours on the original engine and piston, is that considered high?? I don't need his bike blowing up on us in the middle of nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:19 PM   #678
Vacman
Some call me...Tim?

Oddometer: 178
It's a moot point. He's keeping it.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:28 PM   #679
bdesj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFVC600R View Post
This bike doesn`t really turn my crank, but it is a good example of something I`ve been wondering about from other ads. The ad says it`s says it`s plated but not registered and with back fees due. Please explain, CA peoples. In CA, once you plate a vehicle, the fees are due every year even if it isn`t in street use? I take it that a buyer will have to pay those back fees from the PO if he wants to register it again for street use, but doesn`t need to if it`s going to be used offroad only? Some times I see things that say "plated inop", so that means they have actually contacted the DMV to turn in plates or some other procedure that keeps the registration fees from stacking up? I`m a confused NV neighbor who often scans Sac Craigslist for the much bigger variety compared to Reno`s listings.
bdesj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:34 PM   #680
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Doesn't matter... buy it take it to NV and register it. CA back fees are non issue in NV.

Guests are encouraged.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:37 PM   #681
Vacman
Some call me...Tim?

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdesj View Post
This bike doesn`t really turn my crank, but it is a good example of something I`ve been wondering about from other ads. The ad says it`s says it`s plated but not registered and with back fees due. Please explain, CA peoples. In CA, once you plate a vehicle, the fees are due every year even if it isn`t in street use? I take it that a buyer will have to pay those back fees from the PO if he wants to register it again for street use, but doesn`t need to if it`s going to be used offroad only? Some times I see things that say "plated inop", so that means they have actually contacted the DMV to turn in plates or some other procedure that keeps the registration fees from stacking up? I`m a confused NV neighbor who often scans Sac Craigslist for the much bigger variety compared to Reno`s listings.

You're mostly correct. There are ways around past due fees but if you intend to bring the reg current you'll need to pay them. As a CA resident anyway.

If the bike is plated only and not stickered you technically can't operate it at all. Since most people who have plated bikes don't also sticker them, you'll end up paying something either way. Of course none of that applies to you.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #682
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

Oddometer: 985
Quote:
CA does have an option to register a vehicle as not in use (inop). IIRC that option still has a cost, albeit minimal, and of course they track it as a revenue source.

CA also has registration fees (OHV) for vehicles used purely off-road. It's a sad state of affairs to live by the ocean in this state.....
Old 05-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #683
bdesj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Wow, you guys are fast! Thanks.
One more related OT before I leave the thread to go back to its intended purpose- I have a scooter I bought in Woodland that I`ll probably unload at some time in the future. I saved the CA plate even though I titled it in NV. If I sell it to a Californian, will there be back fees due for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesurf View Post
CA also has registration fees (OHV) for vehicles used purely off-road. It's a sad state of affairs to live by the ocean in this state.....
But it`s a beautiful state to live next to!
bdesj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #684
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Quote:
I saved the CA plate even though I titled it in NV. If I sell it to a Californian, will there be back fees due for it?
!
If you titled it in NV then that plate is dead... the vehicle is a NV vehicle. If you sell it in CA it will be retitled here from scratch.

Guests are encouraged.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:01 PM   #685
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Multistrada find...

Bought this one Friday off our local CL. Had looked at it last week. Wanted $4500. Wasn't sure if I wanted to get rid of my Sportster.Hands have been hurting. Saw my doc, cmc joint arthritis. Not going to get any better. Sporty controls are heavy and have hurt. Looked at reviews on the 620 MS. A *lot* of comments on how light the controls are. Duc says they were designed for "city driving" and lightened. Plus, it's a slipper clutch. Well, ok then. Thursday, the seller txtd me he'd take $3500, cash, if he got it Friday. Off to the bank!!! 6,800 miles on it. Arrow 3/4 exhaust, with DB killers. Promptly removed. Rizoma taper bars and risers. Track stand, sm and Lge tail bags.Original parts. Went for a long backroad ride today. I'm a happy boy......
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:03 PM   #686
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Sold my Sporty via CL today. See above post for reason.....
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:58 PM   #687
sopascat
aka "DevilCat"

Oddometer: 3,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdonley View Post
.Hands have been hurting. Saw my doc, cmc joint arthritis. Not going to get any better.
I had surgery in December for that, lots better already
Old 05-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #688
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdonley View Post
Bought this one Friday off our local CL. Had looked at it last week. Wanted $4500. Wasn't sure if I wanted to get rid of my Sportster.Hands have been hurting. Saw my doc, cmc joint arthritis. Not going to get any better. Sporty controls are heavy and have hurt. Looked at reviews on the 620 MS. A *lot* of comments on how light the controls are. Duc says they were designed for "city driving" and lightened. Plus, it's a slipper clutch. Well, ok then. Thursday, the seller txtd me he'd take $3500, cash, if he got it Friday. Off to the bank!!! 6,800 miles on it. Arrow 3/4 exhaust, with DB killers. Promptly removed. Rizoma taper bars and risers. Track stand, sm and Lge tail bags.Original parts. Went for a long backroad ride today. I'm a happy boy......
Wow!! What a score!
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #689
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,257
I was just thinking you need to sell that Harley Oh man, I'm going to have a hard time picking a new bike when it's time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacman View Post
It's a moot point. He's keeping it.
and on the KTM, I'd keep that bike too if I had it! I'll try a plated dirt bike one day. Perfect for linking trails, you could ride all the way to Big Bear from here offroad.

Unless you're talking about my buddy selling it. He wants to sell it to me but I'm not biting It has ENZO suspension 5 lbs off from my weight and the price isn't bad. If I had a truck I'd be all over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.

RFVC600R screwed with this post 05-07-2014 at 02:39 PM
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #690
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 781
KTM 550 2T for $700 obo: http://slo.craigslist.org/mcy/4461461894.html