Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
bmast OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Anyone use combat boots? (NOT Aerostitch)

...But real combat boots? http://www.combatboots.com/

Some look to be pretty sturdy, like the Tanker Boots. I'm taking a long trip, need good ankle protection, but also something I can walk in. I like the Oxtar Infinity, but that are no longer making them. Trying also, to keep cost down.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,061
They are far better than flip-flops!

But, they are not specifically made for riding wither, and the lack of critical protection in the important places makes them less than perfect.

Laces can not only come undone and get caught on things, they easily grind off in a slide making the boot more likely to come off.

Steel toes make shifting more difficult and can be dangerous if smashed.

Lack of impact, twist and slide protection on the ankles is another drawback.

All that said, way better than tennis shoes!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:47 AM   #3
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,863
I have a pair of genuine US Army issue all leather combat boots. I will compare them to the much touted Sidi On Roads which I also own.

For heal and toe protection they are the same. Both have extremly stiff leather which cannot be deformed with hand pressure. I have not tried running over either of them with a car or hitting them with a hammer to further test them.

Ankle wise. The army boot is better for support and the Side is better for impact protection. This is because the army boot fits better and the Sidi has thicker leather. Neither are armored.

The Army boot is somewhat waterproof after a good coat of mink oil. The Sidi stands up to an all day shower.

The Sidi is hot as hell in the summer. The Army boot is ok in hot weather but not cool. The Army boots are cold in the winter. The Sidi is quite comfy with thick sock down into the twenties.

The Army boot is much more comfortable to walk in than the Sidi.

If you cant figure out how to tuck your laces away so they dont get tangled you should not be on a motorcycle in the first place so I dont find them to be an issue.

yankee Dog
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,720
steel toe myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Steel toes make shifting more difficult and can be dangerous if smashed.

Jim
Sorry but that steel toe smashing thing is a urban legend........totally busted myth. Steel toes May not good for motorcycles but it has nothing to do with smashing danger and the smashing danger at work is not a concern.........your toes are smashed with or with out steeal toes if a tank crushes your foot.
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #5
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by showkey
Sorry but that steel toe smashing thing is a urban legend........totally busted myth. Steel toes May not good for motorcycles but it has nothing to do with smashing danger and the smashing danger at work is not a concern.........your toes are smashed with or with out steeal toes if a tank crushes your foot.
If it wraps around over your foot, say goodbye to your toes.

Many people who work with horses don't wear steel toe boots because if the toes get smashed, they stay smashed and it's terrifically difficult to remove the boot to save your toes..

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
KLR takes a circular route to Big Bend '13 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887449
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
rmeisen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Steel Toes and Combat boots

+1 on the 'around horses' comment. No body (but No body) wears steel toes around horses. As far as combat boots, they work great for me, although I double knot the laces to be sure they stay put.. I've ridden in most kinds of weather over the last three years on my commute and the have held up very well, stayed warm/dry/cool (depending on socks). Certainly are cheaper than anything with Motorcycle in the name..
rmeisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
G-Force Junkie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,328
I've ridden alot of miles in my Danners, but I have no illusion that they will provide any sort of impact protection like a real MC boot will.
G-Force Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
offdachain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Wearing those boots sounds like a stupid plan. Spend a little more and get something that will protect you. I wear Oxtar Evo TCS ti on road and Sidi Flexforce offroad. If I ever mix, then I go with the Sidi Flexforce.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:50 PM   #9
bpw
r65 PD

Oddometer: 200
Steel toed boots are actually designed so that when they crush they cut off your toes. Its easier to sew them back on than it is to rebuild mangled flesh.
bpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:54 PM   #10
TomN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,497
I used to wear my old Army boots, but they are totally inferor to the Sidi Raptor Evo boots I wear now. Depends on how much protection you are looking for.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:05 PM   #11
fixer
KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer: 7,439
i don't even wear "GI style"combat boots" for hiking.
And don't be scared, just enjoy your ride.

"... in my version of Heaven you get all your dogs back." Mista Vern
"Old dogs don't die, they just wait for you in another place." Twilight Error

I'll show you a place, high on a desert plain, where the streets have no name.
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:50 PM   #12
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,109
What ever the facts about steel toes cutting off toes etc, the sure do conduct heat away from your feet in cold weather!

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:10 PM   #13
SomeAssemblyRequired
Here kitty kitty kitty

Oddometer: 301
Like Yankee Dog, I've used the army/combat boot when comfort and practicality means that the Alpinestars Tech 7s won't do. They offer adequate, if not perfect, protection, stay dry (Nikwax does the trick) and I don't feel like FrankenFoot when I walk into someone's office. That said, I'm trying to figure out a happy middle ground between those two options; anything else out there that offer the the best of both worlds?

"We spend our lives chipping away at our ignorance" -- as originally posted by DAKEZ

07 KTM 525 EXC
06 Honda CRF250X
SomeAssemblyRequired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:13 PM   #14
wyowillys46
F=mA

Oddometer: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne
What ever the facts about steel toes cutting off toes etc, the sure do conduct heat away from your feet in cold weather!
That's the truth. I've been out on the water in snowstorms and the steel toe boots I was wearing turned my feet into icecubes. Down right miserable.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:58 PM   #15
nashopolis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
I have a pair of corcoran jump boots which I originally bought for all around boot wear and also moto-use. I would agree they are pretty tough, but decided to upgrade to some touring style moto-boots. Silly me...some light padding and plastic armour aside, I would say they are no more protective than my jump boots. In-fact they flex way to easily for me and offer no real ankle support (they do go on and off quickly! which can be a plus sometimes).

So I got myself a pair of sidi discos. Much stiffer than either the combat boots or the diadora street boots. But I am under no illusion that even they are stiff enough to really protect. For that I think you need something rigid with hinges like the Sidi crossfire (which I would like to own)

Thus with my limited first hand knowledge I would rate combat boots above or around most of the (touring style boots). If you could add some padding, extra ankle leather or those motocross ankle brace booties I bet they would exceed most general purpose touring boots except perhaps in the waterproof department.

Buy the best you can afford. Being able to walk is a daily luxury that 200-400 is well worth.
nashopolis is offline   Reply With Quote