User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
Couchsurfing.com Members

Post here if you are a member of Couchsurfing.com, if you have any comments, questions, or experiences you'd like to share. I have a profile (link in my signature below) and I am eager to gain some CS experience out on the road to Oregon. I just signed up for a verification and donated $25 to the site. I can't wait to meet some people!

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:39 PM   #2
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by geode
Not dissing CS at all as I have no experience with it ... but I hope you realize the ADV Tent Space Thread at the top of this Forum is sorta the same thing, but doesn't cost anything to join or use, and is made up of motorcycle folks.

Have a safe trip!
I am aware of that thread, subscribe to it, and plan to utilize it on my journey as well. The main difference I see is that the couch surfing community is united solely for that cause, has a broader international base, and is centered around the couch or spare bedroom. The tent space list is limited to motorcyclists, and is just that, a tent space list, which makes it less intrusive for the host. That said, I did see quite a few hosts that were offering a bed or couch. I was curious to see how many ADV'ers were also affiliated with CS. Anders Green, for example, is on there, and boosted my rating by giving me a positive comment based on his encounter with me at one of the Eastern NC ADVrider dinner.

One other thing is that the CS community doesn't charge money to use either, but if you want to be a "verified" member, that is, your identity is verified for security, since this is an international thing and for security in general, you can pay some money to the cause. I decided to do so in order to build a better reputation faster.
So, Bump! I still want to know who is using the site, nationally or internationally! (and to spread awareness for those travelling abroad, etc...)!!

Old 05-19-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,659
I'm on couch surfing. I've hosted three travelers, two couples and a solo guy.

I like the philosophy, but I've already started to think couchsurfing is too big for it's breeches. I get form-letter requests to surf my couch. I've had people ask me to surf my couch, I offer them a place to stay, and then I never hear back.

The first travelers I hosted were nice and quiet, but they overstayed our agreed time, they wanted to store some things here when they left, and they borrowed a friend's bicycle for far too long. They were basically living in Memphis by couch surfing. That wasn't cool.

The other two travelers I hosted were great. A British couple arrived by car and stayed two days. I made dinner for them each night and we talked late into the night. I also had a Swiss guy arrive by train. He only stayed the night and left early in the morning, but we had a beer together and he told me about his travels.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #4
dirtgirl7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
couchsurfing awesome

Been using couchsurfing on my trip thru mexico and central america. Have only had really good experiences, I've met locals, got tips on what to see/do in their hometown, (otherwise you sometimes feel like your on the 'gringo trail') I usually buy a bunch of bananas, mangos and papayas when I arrive so as I dont show up emply handed. I am after all costing them abit in using their hotwater, toilet paper, shower. Terrific idea they get my vote. Only thing in mexico it seems like a bit of a dating site with so many 'meet me for coffee/drink' members. Looking forward to hosting people when I return home. Also for same concept go to global freeloaders.com and hospitalityclub.com.
dirtgirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:12 AM   #5
whiteknucklemc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
I've been a member since 2006 and I love it. I have hosted people from Belgium, Germany, Canada, Taiwan and India as well as plenty of domestic travelers. I have also surfed myself on my trip trough Canada last year.
I am headed down to Guadalajara in November for the El Dia De Los Muertos festival and have host's lined up in Hermasillo, Mazatlan, Guadalajara and Pazcuaro.

I am also couch surfing on my trip to Bosnia next year.

The only thing I would recommend is to make sure the people you host have a full profile including references and a voucher or two. I have not had any bad experiences yet but I'm sure I will eventually; you have to take the bad with the good.

http://www.couchsurfing.com/profile.html

We also have local CS meetings on the third Saturday of every month which is a good way to buid up your own references and vouchers.

Ziveli!!!

Perry

whiteknucklemc screwed with this post 06-05-2008 at 08:19 AM
whiteknucklemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:03 AM   #6
dcsdiego
Traveler, Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 52
In Sedona I met a guy from London who worked off his computer. He had been traveling since november for 5 mos and only had to use hotel three times. Malaysia, australia, new zealand, india, hawaaii. He said great things about it. Mostly couch, sometimes bed. Said he never met a waco or felt uncomfortable.
dcsdiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:18 AM   #7
whiteknucklemc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
There is even a commercial now.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UiJRM3Szd8c
whiteknucklemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:50 AM   #8
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

hah. It's a commercial for t-mobile, and makes no direct reference to couchsurfing.com, but it's pretty clearly pro-CS to those who know it exists. Then there's another one that comes up after it called F*ck you, T-Mobile. That one's hilarious!
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteknucklemc
There is even a commercial now.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UiJRM3Szd8c

Old 06-05-2008, 10:30 AM   #9
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

This girl from New Zealand stayed at my house for two nights.

Jamie

Old 06-05-2008, 11:55 AM   #10
Pistola
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I had Someone stay with me a few years ago and it was a great experience. I wanted to do some couch surfing down in Baja, but of all the people that replied, they were all out of town. I would recommend it
Pistola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:19 AM   #11
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z
Nice. Maybe I should sign my love-seat up for this

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:23 AM   #12
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z

Jamie
Did you hit it?
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:30 AM   #13
shezonit
just a few more miles,eh?

Oddometer: 273
I joined couchsurfing

last year-- have not any visitors yet- one says he is coming thru next week-?? i have travelled a lot in my life and slept on a lot of couches, so it's very natural to offer same to travellers.
travellers are usually good souls ( like me)
try it out!
shezonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:07 AM   #14
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,923
Have registered myself on CS:

http://www.couchsurfing.com/people/dirty

But haven't made much effort to using it properly.

Im more active on a similar site called Hospitality Club

http://secure.hospitalityclub.org/hc...hp?cid=Poclain

Have just had 1 visit so far from some students from poland that came up north in sweden to see some band performing on a festival where i live.

Only demand i have is that the people i host can show me identifications and that im allowed to take a copy/picture of the ID just for safety.

Might get a visitor from russia later this summer but i think many write to several people trying to find a place to stay that might be why many ask for accomodations but never write back since they found another place to stay.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #15
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

I'm currently hosting a motorcycle traveler. Well, sort of. Here's after he arrived and unloaded his bike:

Here he loads up the next day.

We were going to ride together for half a day out to northwest Arkansas. Here I got a picture not long after we left Memphis.

And just seconds after that shot was taken, smoke started coming from his right pipe. Trouble.

We stopped on the side of the road to investigate. A local stopped to help us and after pulling the spark plug on that side and turning the crank, we saw the trouble through the little hole. The piston had a dime-size hole in it.

The guy who stopped negotiated to buy the bike right there on the side of the road.

Dude got a great deal. And was quite a jackass, too.

So... back to my house. Both of us and all our gear on my bike. Sorry no pics of that, it was dark by that time. But we made a great dinner in the evening.

He's got a new plan for crossing the country. Hopping freight trains.

Jamie