Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #31
Natest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtgirl7
Been using couchsurfing on my trip thru mexico and central america. Have only had really good experiences, I've met locals, got tips on what to see/do in their hometown, (otherwise you sometimes feel like your on the 'gringo trail') I usually buy a bunch of bananas, mangos and papayas when I arrive so as I dont show up emply handed. I am after all costing them abit in using their hotwater, toilet paper, shower. Terrific idea they get my vote. Only thing in mexico it seems like a bit of a dating site with so many 'meet me for coffee/drink' members. Looking forward to hosting people when I return home. Also for same concept go to global freeloaders.com and hospitalityclub.com.
so you didn't tell us, did you find a date then???
Natest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #32
olyflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
I'm counting on all you yanks to put me up when I get there next week!!

Been doing it for a while and on my first ever surfing stay now, only ever hosted people for about 2 years, bloody awesome set up, but doing requests is a pain in the arse!
olyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:15 AM   #33
Wander4Days
Where am I?

Oddometer: 91
Love the concept but...

I love the concept of CS but I have had mixed success with it and I feel like it may be past it's prime.

My wife and I have been members on there for about a year. We have hosted a couple times and it was a great experience both times. I surfed a couch while moto touring in Japan a few months ago and it was really the highlight of the trip(other than the amazing twisty roads that criss-cross the mountains of Japan- of course). I was riding by myself and each night staying is little towns. With the language barrier and the fact that in rural Japan things close down pretty early, it was tough to really meet locals like I had hoped. So when I stayed with a Couchsurfer(Canadian living in Japan) he showed me around town, took me to a great little out of the way restaurant I never would have found, visited a traditional Japanese hot spring, and then we traded lots of great stories and music.

But, I sent like 10 requests before finding 1 person that had an available couch(tatami mat). So it can take a lot of tries. And I find that a lot of people don't check their accounts very often. When it comes to hosting I feel like it has gotten a little too big, and now a lot of people on there are simply looking for a free place rather than trying to meet other like-minded travels which was the original concept, but you can easily feel people out through their profiles.

The hardest thing for me to use CS while moto touring is that i never have any idea where I'll be on which days or even where I'll end up later the same day. I am anti too much planning. It's much easier to show up at a hotel or campground and ask if they have availability than to show up at a Couch Surfer's unannounced.

That said, when it works it's an awesome way to travel and meet great people!

If anyone is riding through Atlanta and needs a place to stay look us up on CS(username: MalcolmandGabrielle)
Wander4Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #34
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgordonst
I love the concept of CS but I have had mixed success with it and I feel like it may be past it's prime.

My wife and I have been members on there for about a year. We have hosted a couple times and it was a great experience both times. I surfed a couch while moto touring in Japan a few months ago and it was really the highlight of the trip(other than the amazing twisty roads that criss-cross the mountains of Japan- of course). I was riding by myself and each night staying is little towns. With the language barrier and the fact that in rural Japan things close down pretty early, it was tough to really meet locals like I had hoped. So when I stayed with a Couchsurfer(Canadian living in Japan) he showed me around town, took me to a great little out of the way restaurant I never would have found, visited a traditional Japanese hot spring, and then we traded lots of great stories and music.

But, I sent like 10 requests before finding 1 person that had an available couch(tatami mat). So it can take a lot of tries. And I find that a lot of people don't check their accounts very often. When it comes to hosting I feel like it has gotten a little too big, and now a lot of people on there are simply looking for a free place rather than trying to meet other like-minded travels which was the original concept, but you can easily feel people out through their profiles.

The hardest thing for me to use CS while moto touring is that i never have any idea where I'll be on which days or even where I'll end up later the same day. I am anti too much planning. It's much easier to show up at a hotel or campground and ask if they have availability than to show up at a Couch Surfer's unannounced.

That said, when it works it's an awesome way to travel and meet great people!

If anyone is riding through Atlanta and needs a place to stay look us up on CS(username: MalcolmandGabrielle)
My thoughts exactly.

I can appreciate that Couchsurfing isn't hotels, but I too get frustrated when I send out couch requests and get no or negative responses.

Overall though, I've had great experiences.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:03 AM   #35
Iamtheone
Traveller

Oddometer: 96
I am on couchsurfing (name: Motomaniac). Hosted number of people but got chance to host only one couple who were travelling on motorcycle.
Iamtheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:53 PM   #36
maiden.jade
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
I'm on another website similar to couch surfing but it's known as globalfreeloaders.com. I simply love that name.

I've only hosted one couple who were here for a kite festival. I ended up hanging out with them throughout the festival.

I've freeloaded numerous times and I always bought them lunches/dinners as a form of appreciation. I always indicated in my introduction email that I didn't need them to show me around town since I find it a chore when I host others. But we always sat around and talked for hours which was the fun part. I also brought photos along as conversation starters since I'm generally a quiet person and seldom initiate topics.

Next summer, I'm planning to go to Alaska and will definitely need the camp space of other adv members.
maiden.jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #37
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
I've been on CS for years and never hosted anyone. I've hosted folks from ADV and HU many times, and we've leeched off others too.
http://www.couchsurfing.org/people/tedder
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #38
ShaftyNZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Cool thread....

Hi Guys,

Nice thread - I'm a Couch Surfer, my wife Jude and I have only hosted, never surfed. I joined as a back up plan when heading to Milan for the Bike Show a couple of years back - but managed to find a reasonably priced hotel room in the end, against all odds.

Two great experiences, 1 bad!

First Surfer was a Kenyan Guy from Dubai, up in Bahrain for the Formula 1, rides a CBR1100XX, a great Guy, - we talked bikes lots, I showed him around, we had a few beers etc etc - great Fun

Second Surfer was a Canadian woman who had lost her job here/was going thru a contract dispute drama drama drama.

When I opened the door to the apartment, we were stunned with the amount of gear she was dragging behind her in suitcases, boxes etc etc

Anyway, we sort of felt sorry for her but when the departure time started s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g it was getting really embarrassing! After trying all the diplomatic options, I had to confront her about it and nvent "someone else'' coming to stay, and helped her cart all her crap on an apartment trolley, to the lobby. Actually looking back now it's kinda funny

Surfers # 3 were a great young German couple, really lovely peeps, we showed them round, enjoyed their company and they ours.

So I'm still very open to hosting ....not so sure about surfing yet!

Like some of you Guys, found some people slack in communication once you've said ''ts fine to stay" - obviously they are seeking multiple Couches and forget those they don't use - that's plain rude.

Where we are at the mo (Bahrain), we have a lot of people wannting somewhere free to stay while doing a '' Visa Run '' - we've learn't to kill those requests straight away. Also lots of people asking questions better directed to an Immigration Consultant like "How do I get a Visa.....How do I get a Job....etc etc"

Jude and I are soon touring the US, and were pointed towards The Evergreen Club, (I'd never heard of it before) where Folks - often ''Empty Nesters'' offer their spare room and provide a breakfast for a modest amount (20 bucks from memory). A great idea I reckon. Firstly, you get a room AND a bed! Breakfast is a bonus, - where do I sign up? No luck there, as we live in New Zealand (Usually) so can't reciprocate, so were disqualified from joining

Somewhere along the way I stumbled across http://www.motorcycle-travel.net which I reckon is a winner. Just like the Evergreen idea but for Bikers, and with the International angle - that is, we can host in NZ - COOL!

We love hosting, you get a room/brekkie and the modest $20 cost both removes the feeling of "sponging "and provides a cheap night, with a fellow Biker.

We signed up and have sifted thru some of the Hosts profiles - looking good, mainly an older age group, but as we are in our 50's, ideal. (Nicer houses too! lol)

The main thing for us is the opportunity to meet the Locals. We reckon its the people who really "make" a trip, so we're looking forward to it!

Thanks for reading!

Pete

Pete: ST1300 Orient Express
Jude: SVF650

ShaftyNZ screwed with this post 06-06-2011 at 02:20 PM
ShaftyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:27 AM   #39
Dan Man
ex-adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Like another poster said, on a longer trip it is hard to take advantage of this service. I don't want be pulling into internet cafes all the time to see if potential hosts have wrote me back. And I never know where I will be day to day, nor do I want to plan it. I tried this a couple times here in Ecuador and it just never worked out. I think the difficulty is compounded by not owning a phone.

I could see myself using it when I have more of a planned trip in North America, that camping may not be reasonable for.

I was looking forward to hosting upon my return to the states, but after reading some peoples adventures with this, I am sort of deterred.

Still havent surfed yet! Maybe I will try it as I get to Argentina!
Old 06-14-2011, 04:01 AM   #40
Hardrenaline
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I'm in too!

couchsurfing is the best way to meet beautiful people, to learn different cultures and to sleep gratis.
Hardrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:05 AM   #41
Crooked Creek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Just joined

I'm Crooked_Creek.
Canada's Best Kept Secret: 500 km from the nearest paved road here
Crooked Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:43 AM   #42
SpunAngel
Angel

Oddometer: 11
Couch surfing new zealand

Greetings!
I am from the States and motorcycle touring New Zealand till May 2013 +
Would love to couch surf some in this beautiful country and meet some good people. In the States I work in production at music and art festivals. I'm used to traveling a lot and love it. Also crave live music and meeting new interesting people that have something to teach me, even if something subtle :)
SpunAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:00 AM   #43
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpunAngel View Post
Greetings!
I am from the States and motorcycle touring New Zealand till May 2013 +
Would love to couch surf some in this beautiful country and meet some good people. In the States I work in production at music and art festivals. I'm used to traveling a lot and love it. Also crave live music and meeting new interesting people that have something to teach me, even if something subtle :)
Check out the Tent Space map for New Zealand.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776925

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #44
0theories
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
It's great.

I'm on couchsurfing as well. I've surfed and hosted and it has worked out really well each time. As may have been mentioned above, one of the great things about the site is the local meetups and gatherings couchsurfers host. I've met some great people through the weekly meetups in SLC (even spent New Year with them) and went to an amazing CS party in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. So even if you don't need a place to crash, it's a great resource to the locals in whatever area you happen to be in.
0theories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:57 PM   #45
kenax
kenax on wheels

Oddometer: 7
been using CS for 6 years, special way to go about it

I've been mostly hosting couchsurfers for the past 6 years and really like it (my profile here: https://www.couchsurfing.org/people/kenax/). I find the people I host are often more my friends than anyone I meet locally, while traveling (I work through the internet and have been traveling for about 7 years http://travelgoof.com). My idea is that the person who is adventurous and open-minded enough to offer their couch to a stranger is the same type of person who is willing to sleep on a stranger's couch. So we get along, are like-minded, have great chats and I learn something about their part of the world. But more and more it seems are using it as a means to make their travels cheaper, their primary focus, as opposed to meeting their host and making sure their stay is worthwhile for them. So references are definitely important, I read what they write and what others write about them, and if I accept I send them my standard copy/paste response listing what I expect. Afterall, I'm the host so what I say goes. I like to be generous but don't like people milking that, so I'm careful. But even my very worst experiences (the negative ones being rather rare but I'm also pretty selective) are not that bad. I more often prefer the CS crowd over the locals I meet cause the latter are in their family/settled down mode and really not that interesting for me.
What concerns people not always responding, often hard for surfers to get regular access to the internet and they can be a little fickle, so in my standard response to them I mention that it is on a first come first serve basis and I cannot guarantee anything precisely because of this, but there never really is any conflict and they understand your reasons. If you say this the more serious and reliable ones will write and confirm as the date approaches.
Now I'm starting a big bike tour in SE Asia and actually hosting (doesn't usually cost extra to rent a bungalow if you have two as opposed to one) and surfing at the same time, so that should be fun. Will check out the motorcycle group on this site as would be cool to hook up with other bikers. Was told there was a site specifically for this and how I found this one.