User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2008, 04:53 PM   #16
okcgunslinger
"ain't cheap no mo"

Oddometer: 14
Thanks for the report.

I test drove the f650 today, looking for bike for wife. It really felt good very light on top compaired to the 1200 GSA. The drive I took was careful and conserveitive due to first miles on the bike. She will need the lowered frame with the lowered seat and we will opt for ABS if we choose this model. Anybody know options on upgrading the windshield?
okcgunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:26 PM   #17
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,206
windshield

OK:

As I understand it the stock screen from the F800GS is taller so might due for you, and you perhaps could pick up one cheap from an 800 owner that has upgraded further....

The guy that runs the F800 forum has a shop and sells the Skidmarx

Which seems like a very good value for the money, BMW offers a touring screen, I forget the price... but they are very proud of it...

I"m sure there are some other options also....

Jim

Edit by pilot: I don't know what you thought you were quoting, but it fubared the thread.

pilot screwed with this post 10-08-2008 at 08:44 AM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:46 PM   #18
okcgunslinger
"ain't cheap no mo"

Oddometer: 14
Thanks JIm,

Thanks for the link, I've been looking around and there is going to be some options. The oem windshield has to go for starters. Thats the trouble with adding a horse to the stable, it's just the starter kit. Again thanks.
okcgunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:29 AM   #19
Magile
"What exit?"

Oddometer: 417
F800GS windshield option

GIVI USA shows a taller windshield, p/n 333DT + D333KIT

http://www.giviusa.com/caschi_borse_...sp?CO_ID=28037

I had one of their shields on an Airhead & found it a high quality piece & worke well.

Cheers, M

http://www.giviusa.com/downloadfree....=13964&UT_ID=0
Magile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:39 AM   #20
StinkyCheese
Red or Green?

Oddometer: 745
Question Size?

[quote=JRWooden]...
The 658 I test drove was with lowered suspension and low seat; I am 6' and ordered neither of those but ... that was the only bike set up at the dealer...

I was talking to the "local" BMW dealer by phone and he thought the 650GS might be too small for me. I am 6' and 220 pounds. How was ride height etc. for you?
Old 08-31-2008, 10:52 AM   #21
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Talking Good with me...

I just picked up my very own F650GS yesterday

I am 6' 1" and about 185lbs, 32" inseam.

I have put about 200 miles on it so far (150 of that was drive back home from dealer). With the rear spring preload all the way to the "soft" end I can pretty much "flat foot" the bike. Obviously, with the preload cranked up you'd have more ground clearance! I've been messing with it a bit and will probably leave mine at 1/2 turn off the soft end for a while to see........

I think at least for me that the riding position is excellent except that when I have my butt on the seat where my legs are what feels good, my arms are just a bit too short... so I gotta stare at it and see if I can rotate the bars a bit to the back (then move the mirrors & grips back around ... sigh) or if maybe what I need is one of the handle bar extenders...

Or maybe after I ride it for a couple weeks I'll think it's all good as is...

I'd get a ride on it ... and maybe ride a couple miles then jack the pre-load up and ride a few more and see what you think!
It's a pretty personal thing, but it would not say that the bike is to small for you ...

Jim
Old 08-31-2008, 05:36 PM   #22
StinkyCheese
Red or Green?

Oddometer: 745
Laugh Size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
I just picked up my very own F650GS yesterday

I am 6' 1" and about 185lbs, 32" inseam.

I have put about 200 miles on it so far (150 of that was drive back home from dealer). With the rear spring preload all the way to the "soft" end I can pretty much "flat foot" the bike. Obviously, with the preload cranked up you'd have more ground clearance! I've been messing with it a bit and will probably leave mine at 1/2 turn off the soft end for a while to see........

I think at least for me that the riding position is excellent except that when I have my butt on the seat where my legs are what feels good, my arms are just a bit too short... so I gotta stare at it and see if I can rotate the bars a bit to the back (then move the mirrors & grips back around ... sigh) or if maybe what I need is one of the handle bar extenders...

Or maybe after I ride it for a couple weeks I'll think it's all good as is...

I'd get a ride on it ... and maybe ride a couple miles then jack the pre-load up and ride a few more and see what you think!
It's a pretty personal thing, but it would not say that the bike is to small for you ...

Jim
Excellent news! Thanks for the reponse. I am planning a trip up to the dealer in the next week or so..
Old 09-04-2008, 06:02 AM   #23
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb Details...

Just a new bike update:

I have not had any more stalling since the 1st day I think it was either brand new tight engine or the computer still "learning" the parameters.

Clutch also beaded in and doing well, it was a bit "growly" when I left dealer.

At 185 lbs I have the preload set at 1/2 turn in from "dead soft" and it is good for me on the road (I'm not doing dirt till I get my crash bars and 600 mile check behind me)

I softened the damping (screw on bottom of rear shock) unscrewed it 1 full turn. I"m going to play with it more, but this makes bike less harsh on potholes makes the seat SEEM a bit softer with no downside (again this on-road review only). I still think the seat is too damn hard ... but I have a "secret" plan for that that I will share if it works, and disavow all knowledge of it it turns to crap...

As others have mentioned I also have some throttle lag after decel.
This is getting less noticable, and in cooler evening riding is less of an issue.
Also I took some slack out of the throttle cable so freeplay is now at a minimum and that gives me a bit better control.

I remain in the 150% satisifed-with-my-purchase camp!

Jim
Old 09-05-2008, 08:05 AM   #24
PSO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Fiance' had a F650GS one lunger rotax. She sold it and went with a Buell, partially because I was tired of working on the BMW for routine maint. Buell's are simple to work on etc. How tough is it to do routine maint on the new 650/800? Dealership is about 1 1/2 hours away and just do not want to pay stealership prices nor travel that far and wait and then travel back. I was also excited about the 800 when it was first announced but got Buell Uly because I got tired of waiting.
PSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:19 AM   #25
gordo5
Roadkill

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSO
Fiance' had a F650GS one lunger rotax. She sold it and went with a Buell, partially because I was tired of working on the BMW for routine maint. Buell's are simple to work on etc. How tough is it to do routine maint on the new 650/800? Dealership is about 1 1/2 hours away and just do not want to pay stealership prices nor travel that far and wait and then travel back. I was also excited about the 800 when it was first announced but got Buell Uly because I got tired of waiting.
I had the single and am now on the twin and routine stuff is night and day. Oil changes on the single were nuts and it's pretty conventional on the twin. You can access the battery by just removing the center panel instead of two or three on the single. I haven't had to change a bulb on the 658 yet, but it looks like childsplay where as it was a small nightmare on the single (pre 2004, anyway).

Gord
gordo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:32 AM   #26
OrangeEnvy OP
Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Seems like somebody was listening when I complained about the BMW turn signals!

BMW is switching to left handed turn signal gear - at least on the K Series:

http://www.canadianmotorcyclerider.c...1215356252?v=2
Old 10-08-2008, 09:18 AM   #27
Dave92029
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Rofr my New F650GS home yesterday

I traded in my 2005 R1200GS for a F650GS and then took the long way home over S1 to Mt. Laguna, Julian, and then across 78 to Escondido, CA. 120 miles of some wonderful mountain roads.

The F650 is awesome!

I felt like the bike was glued to the road, and when I looked at the speedo I was surprised how fast I was riding and how secure the bike felt at those speeds. The "detuned" 800cc engine was always in the sweet spot in the curves. Lots of useful torque. The trip home was so much fun I can't wait to take the bike out again.

yea, the seat will take some getting used to. I have a wind shield on order from Cee Bailey which should be here in two weeks which will make riding the freeway more pleasant. At speeds above 75 I'm aware of the wind blast. No turbulance, but the wind above that speed starts to cause fatigue.

I have no intention to ride in the dirt and sand so the F650 seemed to make more sense to me, and I'm trilled!
Attached Images

IBA #43
2013 Vespa 300ie S GTS
2014 G650GS
Dave92029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:52 AM   #28
Dieselboy
Journey not Destination

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeEnvy
Seems like somebody was listening when I complained about the BMW turn signals!

BMW is switching to left handed turn signal gear - at least on the K Series:

http://www.canadianmotorcyclerider.c...1215356252?v=2
Personally, I was very happy to see BMW switches on the F800GS. I was tired of the left hand gear on the KLR.

Each to his own...
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #29
blackie
Still Hibernating

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92029
I traded in my 2005 R1200GS for a F650GS and then took the long way home over S1 to Mt. Laguna, Julian, and then across 78 to Escondido, CA. 120 miles of some wonderful mountain roads.

The F650 is awesome!

I felt like the bike was glued to the road, and when I looked at the speedo I was surprised how fast I was riding and how secure the bike felt at those speeds. The "detuned" 800cc engine was always in the sweet spot in the curves. Lots of useful torque. The trip home was so much fun I can't wait to take the bike out again.

yea, the seat will take some getting used to. I have a wind shield on order from Cee Bailey which should be here in two weeks which will make riding the freeway more pleasant. At speeds above 75 I'm aware of the wind blast. No turbulance, but the wind above that speed starts to cause fatigue.

I have no intention to ride in the dirt and sand so the F650 seemed to make more sense to me, and I'm trilled!
Congrats! let the farkling beginning (and dont forget to post pics )
Old 10-08-2008, 12:27 PM   #30
Dave92029
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Pictures, you really want pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie
Congrats! let the farkling beginning (and dont forget to post pics )
Here are the pictures I took at the dealership and on the ride home yesterday.

http://photos-by-dave-mishalof.smugm...89307796_7C22b

I have a Cee Bailey light gray tint wind shield on order and the new Jesse luggage. The R1200GS Adv hand guards are already on the bike.

Sure am glad I got out of the stock market. I would much rather have a new bike rather than stock market losses.
IBA #43
2013 Vespa 300ie S GTS
2014 G650GS
Dave92029 is offline   Reply With Quote