Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2009, 06:41 PM   #31
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally
Funny. They didn't bother me on my 3300 miles through Baja and 15k miles since I've put them on. To each his own.
Glad it worked for you.

It's a chance I won't take.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #32
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,119
Same Bike..No Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave
Just installed the 2" Rox Risers on my 07 GSA. Then I took them off.

I loved the extra height. I can finally comfortably reach the controls while standing. And the wiring stretch I can deal with - but I don't like the reroute of the brake and clutch lines.

Without moving them, they are stretched. After moving the brake (I just unbolted the master cylinder and passed it through the space in the fork) I don't like the angle of the line. The right answer would seem to be having new lines fabricated that are 2" or 3" longer to maintain the routing in front of the fork tubes, and not stretching them.

Not the thing I want to be doing a couple days before taking off on a trip. It will have to wait until I have time to take the lines off, have new ones made, and then go through the pain of bleeding the ABS.
Hey Dave,

Just FYI stuff but I have the same bike and re-routed cables as Jim recommended and never any issues so far...no binding..plus as you said I have a lot more control standing and far less strain on me by riding in the neutral standing position! For me the Rox Risers on my '07 GSA are exactly what I wanted and needed..
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:07 AM   #33
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,444
MW Motech also make very nice variable risers.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
BiG DoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:15 AM   #34
mobe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave
Glad it worked for you.

It's a chance I won't take.
I pulled the tank on my 07 GSA and pulled up some extra slack on the wiring.
I ordered the fog light mounting bracket for an 06 GSA and mounted the fog switch on the right behind the master cylinder.
I had Speigler make up a custon 2 inch longer front brake line. Bleeding the 07 and up abs is as easy as a non-abs bike.

I also did not like the angle of bend being transferred to the brake lines and cables at full lock with them routed behind the top clamp.
I felt that their lifespan would be considerably shortened by being bent to those angles on a regular basis.
I think that in a few years we are going to see "mysterious electrical problem on GSA equipped with rox risers" threads when the wires begin breaking from the stress!

The fog bracket was 3 bucks and speigler charged 60 bucks for the brake line.

63 bucks to do it right.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #35
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Which "Electrical"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobe
I pulled the tank on my 07 GSA and pulled up some extra slack on the wiring.
I ordered the fog light mounting bracket for an 06 GSA and mounted the fog switch on the right behind the master cylinder.
I had Speigler make up a custon 2 inch longer front brake line. Bleeding the 07 and up abs is as easy as a non-abs bike.

I also did not like the angle of bend being transferred to the brake lines and cables at full lock with them routed behind the top clamp.
I felt that their lifespan would be considerably shortened by being bent to those angles on a regular basis.
I think that in a few years we are going to see "mysterious electrical problem on GSA equipped with rox risers" threads when the wires begin breaking from the stress!

The fog bracket was 3 bucks and speigler charged 60 bucks for the brake line.

63 bucks to do it right.
Curious..which electrical do you believe will be damaged over time due to the flexing/stress? Want to watch out for potential problems..thanks.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:50 AM   #36
mobe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
The switch wiring from the handlebars has to do a lot more flexing from lock to lock when it is routed behind the top clamp. (that's why BMW didn't do it that way from the factory, 'cause you know they would have if they could have to save a buck or two on wire).
The front brake line on my bike would probably have been kinked at full lock if it had not been a braided line. It had way to much strain at the fitting for my comfort.
I know I'll have twenty people here tell me that I am full of it and they have gone a gazillion miles without incident.
Good for them.
I'm not comfortable routing the wires and cables behind the top clamp, so I didn't.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:06 AM   #37
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Hey I Agree...Your Bike...Your Call

[quote=mobe]The switch wiring from the handlebars has to do a lot more flexing from lock to lock when it is routed behind the top clamp. (that's why BMW didn't do it that way from the factory, 'cause you know they would have if they could have to save a buck or two on wire).
The front brake line on my bike would probably have been kinked at full lock if it had not been a braided line. It had way to much strain at the fitting for my comfort.
I know I'll have twenty people here tell me that I am full of it and they have gone a gazillion miles without incident.
Good for them.
I'm not comfortable routing the wires and cables behind the top clamp, so I didn't.[/quote]

Mobe,

I agree that if something doesn't sit right with you then don't do it....beside you are from the "Show Me" state! I will take a closer look at mine....always open to new perspectives..

Ps...Crap! 3,000! I have got to get a life!
Old 08-20-2009, 08:55 AM   #38
dialdn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
How does everyone get the proper torque for the 2 bolts holding the rox risers in place? I have the proper sockets but obviously there is no room for things once the rox risers are sitting in place. I know I can tighten with an 10mm wrench. Is that the solution?

D
Old 08-20-2009, 10:04 AM   #39
dialdn
Studly Adventurer

My final install after throttle cable move. Just removed tie wraps and install a couple others on clutch side. Front brake side was fine. Pics are from iPhone.

D

Old 08-21-2009, 05:11 AM   #40
dialdn
Studly Adventurer

Ok, did a run last night with the rox risers. Wow, what a difference. Total comfort with my back in seated position riding with forearms arms level ! Standing up is night and day. Rode about 10 km standing and it was easy. No leaning forward or a kneeling like I was going to crap standing up. Best $100 I spent so far (along with the TT spoiler).

D
Old 08-29-2009, 10:00 AM   #41
sbbillder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
LTS.....thanks for taking the time to post the play by play for the install. I will be using it as a guide today on my own!!

Hope all is going well with the job search.

B
sbbillder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:23 AM   #42
Tollwatch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Torque Wrench use with Adaptors

I use this information (page 8) to calculate torque when using adapters. This information is published by the FAA and is used by airframe mechanics.

I tried to upload a jpeg of page 8 but for some reason the forum wouldn't allow it. Is there a waiting period before someone can post graphics?
Tollwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #43
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollwatch
I use this information (page 8) to calculate torque when using adapters. This information is published by the FAA and is used by airframe mechanics.

I tried to upload a jpeg of page 8 but for some reason the forum wouldn't allow it. Is there a waiting period before someone can post graphics?
No, probably the photo was too large to upload.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:15 AM   #44
Tollwatch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
No, probably the photo was too large to upload.

Jim
The image (jpeg) size is 364 x 664 file size is 115KB. This appears to fit within the requirements.

I have tried to upload pics in the past with no luck aswell.
Tollwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #45
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollwatch
The image (jpeg) size is 364 x 664 file size is 115KB. This appears to fit within the requirements.

I have tried to upload pics in the past with no luck aswell.
Hmm, very odd. As far as I know there is no minimum number of posts to upload.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote