Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
BigTony OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Canisterectomy: Just remove pump but leave canister?

OK so I'm considering doing a canisterectomy on my '07 990 Adventure. I've read all the 950 how info so I do understand the broad concepts.

My interest in the canisterectomy is really just that I'm chasing a vacuum leak right now and an opportunity to reduce connections, etc seems worth considering.

However, I don't like the idea of the tanks just venting to atmosphere. Maybe this is where my understanding is weak, but wouldn't that cause fuel evaporation loss over time, and/or a little bit of dirty air getting into the tanks?

What I'm wondering is if I could leave the tank vents hooked up to the canister, but then block off the hose outlet on the canister that runs to the pump, and remove the pump and reroute the vacuum lines to connect the two intake manifolds.
BigTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGibbons View Post
However, I don't like the idea of the tanks just venting to atmosphere. Maybe this is where my understanding is weak, but wouldn't that cause fuel evaporation loss over time, and/or a little bit of dirty air getting into the tanks?
IMO, if you are concerned about gas evaporation out of the tank vents and loss of fuel. - Your bike would be stored for so long, you should have drained the gas out, b/c it won't be any good when you are ready to use it anyways.

It's not like at the end of the week of your bike sitting, your tanks will be empty.

That Gas caps have this rubber trap door thing in it to. Rip the Taps off (CAPecotomy- look that one up too) so you don't get a Vapor lock in that too.

Do it all, or do nothing.

Safe travels.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
rburkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGibbons View Post
However, I don't like the idea of the tanks just venting to atmosphere.
I simply have a little fuel filter on each of those tank vents. My thinking is that it would filter some of the dust, and of course the filter works in case fuel needs to go through those lines.
rburkat is offline   Reply With Quote