Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2008, 01:42 PM   #1
High Hope OP
World's Best Dog

Oddometer: 8,071
Question Suzuki RM370: Loathesome or Loveable?

I have a chance to buy a good-looking, original, low-hours 1977 MXer, really cheap. Could this be a fun bike to mess around with in the woods, or is it a cranky old widowmaker? It sure is pretty. A search here didn't turn up any hits.
High Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Hope
I have a chance to buy a good-looking, original, low-hours 1977 MXer, really cheap. Could this be a fun bike to mess around with in the woods, or is it a cranky old widowmaker? It sure is pretty. A search here didn't turn up any hits.
This one I have got to see (pics needed). Buy it. We will compare notes and work on our old bikes together.
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:53 PM   #3
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,180
Quote:
gee good looking low hours really cheap. better pass on that one...
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
I raced one in 1977. It was a ripper. Great fun. Much more challenging to ride than the RM400 that followed it because with its peaky powerband and shorter swingarm. It would wheelie with abandon in top gear. As far as a woods bike, you will have to keep your speed up more than you might like for the hard sections. It IS a motocrosser and not an enduro.

Gopher it.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
High Hope OP
World's Best Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallerman
This one I have got to see (pics needed). Buy it. We will compare notes and work on our old bikes together.
Tallerman, you have too many bikes to work on, more so after you buy that 90/6 you've been admiring.

I'm scared of the 370. A 30-year old 2-stroke pre-mix motocrosser and me, with neither trailer nor tow vehicle. Yeah, that seems pretty stupid. The following sequence of annoying smilies sums up my wife's probable reaction:

Old 05-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Tallerman, you have too many bikes to work on, more so after you buy that 90/6 you've been admiring.

I'm scared of the 370. A 30-year old 2-stroke pre-mix motocrosser and me, with neither trailer nor tow vehicle. Yeah, that seems pretty stupid. The following sequence of annoying smilies sums up my wife's probable reaction:

come up with one for when you double your money on it if its what you say it is.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
High Hope OP
World's Best Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
Flug, besides the obvious appeal of looks, hours and price, what do you think of a '77 RM370? I haven't seen any in the ususal threads.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:11 PM   #8
Renegade6
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Keep an eye on the rear sprocket bolts, had a habit of loosening up and ruining the rear hubs.

1993 BMW R100GS
Renegade6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:20 PM   #9
Helmet_Hair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Couldn't tell you exactly which page, but It was discussed briefly in Dirt Bike 101. The 370 is a butt kicker. It might get you into doing some AHMRA old-guy motocross events instead of trying to fruitlessly battle against it in the woods, though.
Helmet_Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:26 PM   #10
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
I raced a 76 RM125 for a season or two and it went great,won some flattrack races with it,some scrambles even some moto-X.the 370's and 250's were the bike to beat at the time in their class's. Evolution class racers would want that pretty bad.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:34 PM   #11
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Its the sort of bike that would be cool for vintage races or nolgistic purposes. If you are looking for a bike just to ride a newer one will be cheaper (in the long run at least) and drastically better performing. It would be hard to do much better than a 96+ KDX200 for a woods bike.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #12
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Flug, besides the obvious appeal of looks, hours and price, what do you think of a '77 RM370? I haven't seen any in the ususal threads.
its a classic. much more so than a 400. the first big bore RM, and DeCoster rode factory versions of them. not as exotic as the big Maico's or Monoshocks, Husky's, and Pursangs, but they held their own and won races. Very under rated open class motocrosser. Buy it!
Old 05-15-2008, 07:51 PM   #13
Grider Pirate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:
Just get it. Turn it if you don't like it.

http://griderpirate.smugmug.com/
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum
Grider Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:36 AM   #14
Ridin Dirty
What day is it?

Oddometer: 182
Buy it! Race it!

If you get it, I suggest you get it on a track and race it. If you're from the Northeast then the best series, in my opinion, is ACR. www.acrmx.com Alot of the same guys run AHRMA too and they are all good guys. They run on some awesome tracks and it's a great time. I haven't raced in a couple years but they really try to put on a good race program. There are a few guys who were rocking 370s.

I have a 1978 RM400C2 (never ridden/ in pieces) that is just a bored out version of the 370. The predecessor, TM400 was a widowmaker (I know). The 1979/80 RM400 (redesigned from the 78) once the baffle was removed from the expansion chamber it's a beast. I may try to race Southwick this year on my 1980 RM400 this Summer. If I do, I may want to do a few more races too.
Ridin Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:39 PM   #15
High Hope OP
World's Best Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin Dirty
If you get it, I suggest you get it on a track and race it. If you're from the Northeast then the best series, in my opinion, is ACR. www.acrmx.com Alot of the same guys run AHRMA too and they are all good guys. They run on some awesome tracks and it's a great time. I haven't raced in a couple years but they really try to put on a good race program. There are a few guys who were rocking 370s.

I have a 1978 RM400C2 (never ridden/ in pieces) that is just a bored out version of the 370. The predecessor, TM400 was a widowmaker (I know). The 1979/80 RM400 (redesigned from the 78) once the baffle was removed from the expansion chamber it's a beast. I may try to race Southwick this year on my 1980 RM400 this Summer. If I do, I may want to do a few more races too.
Thanks RD. I'm tempted, but everything is pointing in the wrong direction. I've never raced; I'm old, slow and, well, "chubby" is a good way to describe my physique at this point; I have no trailer or suitable tow vehicle...for all of these reasons and more, HELL YES I SHOULD BUY IT!

I'm still noodling on it. If I hesitate, who knows, it may be sold!