Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
keg0900 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
anyone use the SV650 gel seat ? opinions ?

is it better than stock or worse how is it on long rides.

thanks.

www.thunderroadsalabama.com
keg0900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:37 PM   #2
Mike Butt
Agent Provocateur

Oddometer: 55,635
Plenty of good saddlemakers out there if you have a few bucks.
Adventure Rider #799
Mike Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:53 PM   #3
jefmad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by keg0900

is it better than stock or worse how is it on long rides.

thanks.
I have it and in my opinion it is not worth it. It gets a lot hotter in the sun and is not that much more comfortable than stock.
jefmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefmad
I have it and in my opinion it is not worth it. It gets a lot hotter in the sun and is not that much more comfortable than stock.
True.. It would be a lot more comfortable, but the heat is a killer. Insant sweaty monkey butt without some kind seat cover. I have a homemade bead seatcover for it.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:47 PM   #5
andmoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,188
gen1 or 2 sv?

don't do corbin 4 gen 1 unless u have a tiny bubble butt.

anything is better than a gen 2 stock seat.

i put a cavalcade gel insert and then 1/2 in. foam to block the heat issue.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:58 PM   #6
Iron socks
OK! new plan....

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Berlien
Plenty of good saddlemakers out there if you have a few bucks.

such as?

the stocker blows i almost consiering getting a tray of plaster and making a mold of my ass to so I have somthing to mold the foam from for a new seat

Me: "Uh....I need my apartment key back."
Iron socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:04 AM   #7
keg0900 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron socks
such as?

the stocker blows i almost consiering getting a tray of plaster and making a mold of my ass
TMI !!!!!!!!

www.thunderroadsalabama.com
keg0900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:36 AM   #8
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
ebay and corbin/sargent
xshanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #9
duckrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
I have the factory gel and really like it. Two friends have bought them after riding mine. I have done a 700 mile day on mine with no prob. I got one of Bev's sheep skins so the heat is not a prob.

Corbin sucks, I have one for my ST Ducati and have gone back to the not very good stock seat.
duckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:36 AM   #10
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,184
My Gen 1 SV650N has a Sargent seat on it. I love it, I can ride all day with little to no butt issues. It keeps you where you need to be front to back but its still easy to move around on left to right. I highy recommend one.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:10 PM   #11
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,145
What's the deal with heat? Do you mean when it sits in the sun, or from riding?
I just got an SV and I am having trouble with my sit bones.
This seat explains why I got such a good deal on the bike.
dentedvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:31 PM   #12
vbl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Anecdotally, most of the SV seat discussions I've read almost always advocate the Sargent.
vbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:10 PM   #13
jefmad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw
What's the deal with heat? Do you mean when it sits in the sun, or from riding?
I just got an SV and I am having trouble with my sit bones.
This seat explains why I got such a good deal on the bike.
It gets hot quickly from the sun and RETAINS heat like crazy. On a hot day it is uncomfortable from the heat. Also, I dont find the seat much more comfortable than the stocker on the best of days, a little difference, but not much.
jefmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:01 PM   #14
spiffious
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I posted this on sv-portal.com a while back. It is for my sv1000s, but the seat is the same as an sv650.

Corbin vs. Sargent : Finally a real comparison

Naturally I have found the stock seat of my '05 sv1k unbearable as I like to use the bike for touring. After researching quite a bit, I ended up getting the sargent, as most people seemed to prefer it.

Imagine my disbelief when I found the sargent did not find my hind-quarters much needed comfort!

I am 5'10" and 200lbs, and the sargent just didn't work. I then ordered the corbin, which was just installed and tested to my great satisfaction. However, it seems to me that a fair objective comparison is in order:

Sargent seat:

Soft, but supportive foam. The seat is still narrow enough in the front to make reaching the ground with both feet flat easy. The rear of the seat is flatter and wider. The seat seems designed to best fit a taller rider (or at least one with longer legs and arms). The most comfortable place to be is seated toward the rear of the seat. The problem I encountered is that sitting so far back in the seat made the reach for the bars farther. This, however, could serve to benefit by way of increased leg room. To sit towards the front of the seat (tank-humping?) is not very comfortable as you feel where the seat sharply goes from narrow to wide. Though, it is perfectly find for short amounts of time for more sporting riding.

The seat itself is very well made, with a nice carbon fx vinyl. The foam seems to readily isolate the rider from all major vibration. The seat pan even 'looks like' carbon fiber (plastic). I found this seat installed very easy. I ordered it with the matching rear cover, but I did not install it for obvious reasons.

Cliffs notes: Sargent = softer, lighter, better for taller riders.

Corbin seat:

The corbin brand is well known for its very firm (and heavy) foam padding. Their claim is that the shape is most important, and the foam serves to support the rider evenly. The leather and foam are supposed to break in after a few thousand miles. The SV seat was very firm, but seemed well contoured and comfortable. The riding position is a bit differant than the sargent/stock seats. Here, the rider is positioned almost a full inch *lower*! This seat also positions the rider more towards the middle or front of the seat. I found that it was fine to sit front (tank humping) or to move further back. The advantage of this seat would be for a shorter person: The bars are closer and higher relative to the rider, but the pegs are closer. Also note, the corbin is made for riding, not sitting at stop lights. Because this seat too is wider, (also wider in the front) the reach to the ground is slightly more difficult. This still proved no problem for me, but a shorter rider could be affected.

The corbin is available in many materials, most of which are leather (said to break in better over time?) I chose the carbon fx leather, which is really just a leather/vinyl laminate. This surface was nice, but the sargent looked more... uh... carbon fibery. The surface seemed very grippy, so that should keep one from sliding around to much. (Note: The regular leather [which I tested on other bikes with corbins] is much more slippery... better or worse you decide.) Anyways, due to the firm foam on the corbin, one could feel the sv's engine vibes much more. This was really only noticible duyring acceleration, but cruising speeds felt fine. This probably wouldn't be noticed after really getting used to the seat.

Cliffs notes: Corbin = better for shorter people: Firm foam, lower seat, sitting closer to the middle/front.

Anyways, I wouldn't call one seat better than the other, but for me, the corbin was a clear winner because I felt best being lower, with the handlebars seeming higher and closer. The reduced leg room didn't bother me. I also kinda like the firm foam, and the seat shape was perfect. Some of my taller friends would probably prefer the sargent though. One last note, the sargent was a good bit cheaper, but takes 2-3 weeks to get because they are made to order. I was told by a sales rep, that if the seat didn't fit me right, I could send it back, and they would re-carve the seat to match requirements... for FREE... so long as the cover fits back on. Otherwise it would be a pretty good charge I am sure. The corbin also has a matching rear seat available. The sargent was more expensive, but if you buy from the company directly, they have a 30 day money back guarantee. (I bought it from exoticsportbikes.com, which seemed slightly shady, but the thing did come, no order tracking though, and it came in a used box. So, no 30 day return for me ). The sargent only has a rear seat cover available though.

Anyways, I guess I'll sell my sargent (fits 04+ sv650 & sv1000s) with the rear cover and all on the forums somewhere. Just PM me, or check for a classifieds post sometime soon.

spiffious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:18 AM   #15
Spacerat
I worry about my apathy.

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefmad
I have it and I think it's WAY more comfortable than stock. It's also a bit higher so it adds a little leg room. I combined mine with an Alaskan Sheepskin pad and I think the combo is awesome. The pad keeps you cool in the summer and warm in the winter. The gel seat keeps you comfy. A good upgrade. Cheap, too.