Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2008, 11:08 PM   #1
Hodakaguy OP
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,053
Tw200 Mods - Panniers, bars, Extra Fuel ect.

Just picked up a 08 TW200. We used to have a 98 model and loved it, the 08 is Great with the disk brake! I can live without the kick start backup, it's easy enought to bump start if I need to.

We decided to dive right in with the mods. First up is comfort! The stock bars are way to low (for us) and leave my arms in a uncomfortable possition (plus it makes it hard for me to stand up and ride without bending over). We replaced the stock bars with Pro-Taper High Bend ATV bars. Between the Bars and the Adaptors to install the bars onto the stock tripple clamp we gained about 2.5" rise over the stock bars. WAY more comfortable! We also added some Factory 909 hand gaurds/bark busters. Helps keep the wind of your hands and keeps limbs from smaking your hands.

Next up....panniers. It's nice to have a place to carry stuff that you pick up running around town, plus makes it easy for hauling gear for trips. We ordered a Cycleracks rack for the back, then ordered a set of Happy Trails Panniers. We fabbed up the mounts for the bags and attached them to the Cyclerack rack. Came out pretty nice. The bags are easily removable when you don't need them but I'm sure they will remain on most of the time. They are very well built and completely water proof. Not the cheapest option but worth every penny.

We then added a 44 tooth rear sprocket, So far I've found it about perfect for cruising around town and some trail use, first gear is still pretty low. If I'm heading to some real technical stuff then I can always swap back to the 50 tooth rear.

Next up is building a custom skid plate for the engine, and a custom gas canister that will fit in behind the bag on the left hand side (you can see the opening behind the bag). I'll post up more pics as we make progress on the next steps.

Though you might like a look.

Picture of the bars and hand gaurds. Way more comfy than the stock bars!

Here we just finished fabing up the mounts for the Happy Trails panniers. We welded them dirrectly onto the CycleRack rack. Nice and Sturdy.

Bags mounted to the bike.

Front view

left View

Back view. Here you can see the open space behind the left pannier. This is the space that we will be making the custom gas can to fit into. Should be able to carry 2 gallons or so in that space easy.

View with the bag removed.

I'll post up some more pics as we continue with the mods.

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:08 AM   #2
smokinjoe
hippie kicker

Oddometer: 3,003
That's pretty sweet!

I tried trading my '05 H-D 883 for a TW. I'd really likje to have one....I might even teach the SO to ride!

Edit- Just out of curiosity...with the bags that far out, will it make the bike.....wobbly? TT makes some kind of bottle holders that will fit on the back of your bags for fuel, water, etc. It looks really good. Nice job.

If you won't stand behind our troops....do us all a favor and stand in front of them!!!!

Speak well of your enemies. Afterall, you made them!!!

what are you lookin at, dicknose!!!!
smokinjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
Hodakaguy OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinjoe
That's pretty sweet!

I tried trading my '05 H-D 883 for a TW. I'd really likje to have one....I might even teach the SO to ride!

Edit- Just out of curiosity...with the bags that far out, will it make the bike.....wobbly? TT makes some kind of bottle holders that will fit on the back of your bags for fuel, water, etc. It looks really good. Nice job.

The bags are nice and stable, you really don't even know they are on the bike . I've looked at the touratech bottles for the panniers and considered them as an option. I think I would prefer to fab up something custom though for behind the left pannier. The space is available and it will keep the weight more centered and off the panniers. We'll have to see what we end up with.

Thanks,

Hodakaguy
Old 05-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #4
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,948
You are my new hero! Nice setup. Eager to see pics of it in scary/interesting places!

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:30 PM   #5
owtcast
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Nice bike. Posts like this are pushing me over the edge to a new one. For years I looked at REALLY CHEAP, clean used ones. I kept telling myself there will be another one come along when I have spare cash laying around. Now you can't find them unless they are close to new priced. That high fuel is certainly making small bikes more appealing to people who otherwise wouldn't even think of riding them.
owtcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:48 AM   #6
Trailrider ZA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Very cool mod. I will be keeping my eye on your progress. Well done!
Trailrider ZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:34 AM   #7
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by owtcast
Nice bike. Posts like this are pushing me over the edge to a new one. For years I looked at REALLY CHEAP, clean used ones. I kept telling myself there will be another one come along when I have spare cash laying around. Now you can't find them unless they are close to new priced. That high fuel is certainly making small bikes more appealing to people who otherwise wouldn't even think of riding them.
I bought my TW new because of this -- I kept seeing them used but at high prices, or beat to hell. So I went new instead. Of course, since I bought it I've seen two or three advertised online with almost no miles and at fair prices...

So far the bike is working well for me. I don't want to add hard bags, but I do need to figure out a way to carry a little bit more gas -- the stock tank is just small enough to make me nervous, with the long distances out here in the west. Someday I'll add the higher bars, and get the seat recovered with more foam (after an hour or so in the seat, my butt is not happy, even with the Walmart atv seat pad installed). But it's a really fun little bike to ride, and would actually be a pretty good base for taking a long trip on (with more seat padding, of course) as long as you stayed off the fast roads.
Tinfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
Hodakaguy OP

latest Mods.

Yesterday I made these stickers up. The hand gaurds had stickers on them that said "Factory 909" but they were pealing off when I got them. I peeled the stickers all the way off and there was a indent in the plastic where they had been. Grrrrr.....Soooo. I made up these in the same shape as the factory ones that say TW200 instead of factory 909.

This morning we decided to powdercoat the bags. I really like the look of the bare aluminum but its a real pain to try and keep clean looking. My friend bought a powdercoating setup at an auction for $200 and we've done quite a bit of coating with it over the past winter. We coated the bags with Columbia Coatings Mini Tex, its a flat black that has a slight texture to it. It covers very well and is extreemly durable. Now I need to make up some kind of sticker for the back of the panniers. Hmmmm......

Here I just shot one lid in the minitex. You can see the powder coating oven in the background. We will do the entire rack/pannier mounts in the same coating after we finish making the extra fuel tank and associated mounts.

Here one of the bags is just coming out of the oven. It bakes at aprox 385 Deg F for 15-20 min, remove from oven and let cool. Done! ready to use.

Bags on the Bike. The black matches the bike pretty well.

Top View. More mods to come.

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy screwed with this post 05-19-2008 at 02:18 PM
Old 05-19-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
Streamin' E
Half-assed adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Excellent! I'm going to have to try one of those TW's.

It looks to be the case, but are the bags narrower than the bars?
Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their “betters.”- Tom Sowell
Streamin' E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:39 PM   #10
Hodakaguy OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamin' E
Excellent! I'm going to have to try one of those TW's.

It looks to be the case, but are the bags narrower than the bars?
They are about even, just ever so slightly narrower

These bikes are a real kick. They are excellent commuters, I'm going to plan some kind of distance trip with this one eventually.

Hodakaguy
Old 05-19-2008, 03:08 PM   #11
zane121
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
wow very nice. Like everyone else I want to buy one one day too, and those mods just make me want to even more. I live only 15 miles or so from 7mile orv park and would love to take one out there. Very nice job on the farkles.
We need to meet up for a overnight trip up north a bit.
keith
Old 05-19-2008, 03:17 PM   #12
dino2000
No Bad Daze

Oddometer: 1,336
this thing is TOTALLY COOL! Makes me want to get rid of my XR650R and get one. Very BITCHIN'
dino2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #13
sperkins
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
awesome lookin bike!!!!! should be pretty nice to ride.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:29 PM   #14
Hodakaguy OP

Thanks for the comments. I just got back from a 100 mile ride, went great. it cruises real comfortable at 60mph with the 44 tooth rear sprocket. Will be a great little bike for exploring the rougher parts of the pacific NW, places where I would rather not take the GS.

Still have quite a few more mods to do. Build the gas tank, skid plate, mod the kick stand to make the foot bigger, change the chain out to a o-ring chain, ect.

Anyone else in the Pacific NW riding TW's? Maybe we could get a few of them together for a trip.

Hodakaguy
Old 05-20-2008, 10:11 AM   #15
porterdog
untitled

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino2000
Makes me want to get rid of my XR650R and get one.
They cheap! Get both! (I did ;) )
porterdog is offline   Reply With Quote