User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2008, 01:03 AM   #1
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,202
Five days with my bike

So I had to take a 5-day trip up to Lake Mohave AZ/NV to do a fisheries survey. My lab at ASU does this three times annually, and since I’m graduating and moving away this fall, it was my last chance to really explore the area on two wheels. Nothing like a paid vacation... I worked in the mornings and evenings and rode during the day. Usually, this is a 540 mile, paved round trip, so I definitely had some room for adventure on the ways there and back. I planned a solo route with the help of my ADV colleagues and I departed for the lake on Monday morning to return Friday.

Day 1:

I left the Phoenix metropolis and the pavement near Lake Pleasant. A nice ride through Cow Creek and French Creek brought me to Wagoner Road.

Crossed the Hassayampa River on a nice bridge. Wish I could have crossed adventure-style, but I still had many miles to cover.

Did some geocache hunting along the way- a nice distraction from time in the saddle.

Had lunch at the Ocotillo Grill in Bagdad. Quaint little town, food was good.

I discovered that I had made a routing blunder- the roads I had mapped were powerline and gasline roads which led me to a few dead ends and back-tracking. Got to cross the Big Sandy River- this time without a bridge.

Soon afterwards, I found myself heading the wrong direction, so I jumped on a gasline road. This was tolerable for a while, then became challenging, and finally became impassible. I managed to bury the rear tire on a steep ascent and then decided that taking risks is not the best idea when solo.

Blistered through grazing country via Alamo Road. Convened with part of my work crew for a traditional beer before descending Cottonwood Road toward the lake.

Once at camp it was all business until Day 2.

Day 2:

After the morning work was completed and a hearty breakfast was consumed, I took to the trails.

Stumbled upon a quarry that was filled with springwater. Looked like sweet place to camp or swim.

Took Portland Mine Road and various others to connect Carp Cove to Katherine’s Landing via dirt. A fun day with mucho scenery. Crashed only once.

Day 3:

No real agenda for riding, just went out exploring. Found a bunch of mine roads that petered out or led me to no trespass signs. Tracked down a couple more geocaches and hit the jackpot. One of the caches led me to a ridgeline road that I didn’t know existed. Amazing views. I could see more than 20 miles of Lake Mohave. The road continued on the ridge to the south, but I would explore that on my way home Friday.

<<-- Click for VIDEO

Day 4:

Working and riding took it’s toll on me a bit, so I didn’t do much this day. After I raved about the ridgeline views I had discovered on Day 3, I opted to lead my coworkers up there in our work truck. Abe is an amateur photographer, so I knew he’d get some slick images (better than my lame camera). Judith, Josh, and I goofed around while he looked for the perfect shots.

It was my night to make dinner, so I made southwest stuffed chicken and a black bean salad. It was righteous. Indirect grilling.

Day 5:

We finished our work the night before, so packing and departure were in order as early as possible. I was ahead of the truck when I entered a left-hander too fast and ended up on the right shoulder. Unfortunately, there was a big ditch there. It bounced me up in the air off the bike, but I held onto the bars and landed it without crashing. Two seconds later, the bike is acting weird. I hit the gas and it skids to a stop and dies. I notice liquid dripping near my right boot and think, “Oh sh!t.” Then I notice that my tailbag is no longer on my rear rack. Instead it is wadded up in front of my rear tire. Nearly everything in it was wrecked. I had spare water which exploded. My jacket liner now has a big hole in it. The bag itself was destroyed. But to make matters worse, the bike itself got tweeked.

On closer inspection, yes the subframe is snapped on one side and cracked on the other. We tried to bend the parts back into useable position, but no dice. I jettisoned the bag and its contents (what was left) and continued. Oh well. Time to ride slower.

Followed the ridgeline with the epic views and eventually made it to Grasshopper Junction. Slabbed to Seligman and had lunch at the Roadkill Cafe. Excellent philly (a.k.a. Elk Melt).

Took Williamson Valley Road from Seligman to Prescott.

I needed to burn some time before a 6pm rendezvous, so I climbed up and down Squaw Peak. Nice view of Camp Verde (and the Verde River).

Met up with some ADV hooligans in Camp Verde at Crusty’s Pizza. They were starting a three-day ride through the Coconino NF.

Slabbed it home for a long overdue shower. Hell of a week.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:51 AM   #2
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,616
Cool! Wish I had riding like that around here. Thanks for sharing.
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:55 AM   #3
MaddBrit
Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer: 23,441
That looks like a hoot. Nice job with the report and pics.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:05 AM   #4
Hi_Fi_Guy
Teutonic Terror

Oddometer: 650
Terrific ride report, hanks for sharing.

ADV relay rider: Arizona, California, Nevada
Hi_Fi_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:21 PM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,230
The KLR in its element! Great pics and looks like a very nice ride
Old 05-17-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
Nightstalker
YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer: 5,900
JD, you da man!!! Excellent report!

North American
Ride Report Index and GPX files at:

NSRides.com

Nightstalker rides North America 2007

snug htiw swoC
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #7
infoatnmmoto
with the band

Oddometer: 17,909
Nice!
Old 05-18-2008, 05:18 AM   #8
BAGSTR
BAGSTR

Oddometer: 556
Temps?

JD,

What kind of temperatures were you dealing with on the trip?
Congratulations on your degree, where are you headed after finishing your degree?
Nicely done. It is good to know that our university system produces graduates that are accomplished Ride Report posters.
BAGSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
winterhk
*Disminuya Su Velocidad*

Oddometer: 2,314
Awesome report JD! Sorry about the bike!
Old 05-18-2008, 02:37 PM   #10
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

answers below...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGSTR
JD,

What kind of temperatures were you dealing with on the trip?
I have a thermometer on the bike and it read 97 deg F at one point. But I don't really trust the cheap POS. We had wind advisories (>50 mph) on 2 of 5 days. Made for 3 ft waves on the lake.

Congratulations on your degree, where are you headed after finishing your degree?
The wife and I are moving back to Tulsa, OK. We have mucho family there. Unfortunately it's a huge downgrade in dual-sport riding IMHO.

Nicely done. It is good to know that our university system produces graduates that are accomplished Ride Report posters.
I like to think that it is innate. ASU hasn't really done much for me (as an institution).
Old 05-18-2008, 02:46 PM   #11
Rammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
nice trip

rice report. what'd you do with the bike? try welding the subframe?
Rammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:04 PM   #12
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammer
rice report. what'd you do with the bike? try welding the subframe?
I think it's beyond fixing. It's snapped on one side and significantly bent (hairlines) on the other side. I'm looking into a used replacement.

The fender is wrecked. The plastic stock rack is cracked in multiple places. Tail light housing is messed up.

Time to transition to a different rear end setup. I have designed a rear rack system- maybe now I'll pursue it.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #13
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog

That's the stuff dreams are made of...awesome report!!!!