Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2008, 05:52 PM   #31
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Adventure
They pretty much just stared at us and asked if we were going to ride the side car on the sheet iron and we said yes and they just laughed and said really rude that you can't do that.

Look what I just found...old Sheetiron picture. We'll be there next year...with the sidecar.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #32
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Wow Miss Adventure!! What a misadventure! Well, at least you learned the first lesson of riding / driving: Avoid target fixation and look where you want to go.. you look at the guardrail... you know the rest... Glad you weren't seriously hurt...
*exactly* what I was going to post.

So I'm posting nothing important instead.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:43 PM   #33
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
I usually don't name vehicles, but before I left to ride around the world in 2003, I named my bike "Miss Adventure". She is still my everyday ride.

Bummer about the crash. Glad you are OK
Old 05-19-2008, 06:58 PM   #34
Miss Adventure OP
I left my fear behind me

Oddometer: 40
Thanks for all the support guys. I just got back from the doctor and nothing is broken. He gave me a note not to do P.E. for the rest of the school year!!

Im just going to post a few random pictures I took while waiting and then my dad [larryboy] is going to finish it off with the details.

Here are the pictures I took with my 35mm camera. I am really into photography so I try to practice when I go on these type of trips.

Thanks once again!! I will be here posting for the next trip!!
Miss Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:59 PM   #35
MissFenderFine
Now Offically De-n00bed!

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Goodness, Im the one who should kill him! Letting a 15 year old ride right before the Sheet Iron!! Of course I was going to crash and screw up his bike.

I'll hold him down while you do the job......

Oh and take pics!!!

Great pics btw

Sometimes I'm here...sometimes I'm not.
MissFenderFine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:10 PM   #36
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by petefromberkeley
I usually don't name vehicles, but before I left to ride around the world in 2003, I named my bike "Miss Adventure". She is still my everyday ride.

Bummer about the crash. Glad you are OK

That's funny, Pete!!

I saw your bike(Miss Adventure) at the Easter sunrise ride up the mountain.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:20 PM   #37
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
At least you didn't prang the side that was carrying the spare gas. Could have
Old 05-19-2008, 08:41 PM   #38
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Yeah, a gas splash would have been a mess. We were carrying the gas there until we could get camp set up and then it would go in the trunk for the Sheetiron that never happened.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:49 PM   #39
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
Trashed wheel, both forks bent and a cracked engine case...luckily it's just the cover and not the main case.
Not all bad then - and no broken leg either, eh! Glad things turned out well for y'all.

Those roads looked to be in pretty good condition - do you think de-celleration had anything to do with heading into the left guard rail? Looked like a bit of a left-hander coming up after the bridge.
tony the tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:55 PM   #40
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Okay, I've mostly got videos for you all.

I want to thank the San Francisco Motorcycle Club for all their efforts to help us...they don't really do trailers and did their best to help. Word got back to the city and folks coming up were re-routing up thru Bear Valley to bring us water and whatever support they could offer.

I managed to get the front tire inflated with the tube. A couple of ADV'ers rode with us awhile and offered to come back if we hadn't made camp in a couple hours or so. The wheel was so mangled and the offers of help sounded so promising throughout the day that I didn't try the tube for a few hours. I pretty much had to get us to some shade.

Mootsuno and the other ADV guy stayed with us for awhile, but we were really slow...I could barely steer the thing on level ground. If I got the sidecar lower than the bike I could manage pretty good. A little speed seemed to help...the front blew out at about 25 mph and I barely kept it out of the fence on the left of the road. We were really done for now, but we were in the shade.

I flagged down a pickup...dude manages the Stonyford Ranch and said he'd take care of from then on. He shuffled some guns around the cab to make room for us, opened a locked gate for us to hide the bike and gear...then took us to town. He said it can be tough to get help out there sometimes. He once lost the trans in the truck, had been out working on the ATV all day and didn't have any gas left, a 6 hour horse ride and he made it home.

Got dropped of in Stonyford at the eatery and made some phone calls. Mrs Larryboy hopped in the pickup to come get us, got ahold of Bicycle Phil to come get us when we were done eating so we could get to camp with some of our gear. Got Wheatwhacker on the horn and he agreed to go rescue the sidecar when he got in. Thanks Phil and Martin for the midnight run to get the bike. Whew...starting to look up now.

A video as promised:

Old 05-19-2008, 09:01 PM   #41
Bicycle Phil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Megan,
Your pictures are beautiful ...thank you for posting

Now, who's the old fart walking down the road

Quote:
Thanks for all the support guys. I just got back from the doctor and nothing is broken. He gave me a note not to do P.E. for the rest of the school year!!

Im just going to post a few random pictures I took while waiting and then my dad [larryboy] is going to finish it off with the details.

Here are the pictures I took with my 35mm camera. I am really into photography so I try to practice when I go on these type of trips.

Thanks once again!! I will be here posting for the next trip!!

Thank you: MX1West, Renazco Racing, KTM Twins, Rally Management Services
Bicycle Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:02 PM   #42
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony the tiger
Not all bad then - and no broken leg either, eh! Glad things turned out well for y'all.

Those roads looked to be in pretty good condition - do you think de-celleration had anything to do with heading into the left guard rail? Looked like a bit of a left-hander coming up after the bridge.

Thanks, Tony!! Yeah, she rolled off the throttle in 3rd and killed the motor which really pitched it left. She had lined up really good for the corner. We had talked about looking where she wanted to go on the previous straight section, she had gone over another bridge and said she liked the feel of the pavement better than the gravel. I let her ride because I've got it set to be really neutral under 45 mph for this ride, it was steering about like an ATV at the speed she was running.

Bottom line it's my fault...on the other hand she's almost 16 and gets to live a little too. I'm glad we had good gear on and we'll live to ride another day.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:08 PM   #43
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Here is a little video of me sliding it around:

Old 05-19-2008, 09:29 PM   #44
larryboy
Chopper Rider

I'll throw this one in, the video of Meg riding is loading slooooowly.

The music is 'Kids will be kids' by Ryan Gilmore. We've known him since he would hang outside of concerts with a CD player trying to get people to listen to his music...he's making it, has a song as the intro for some sitcom on TV in the fall.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:39 PM   #45
Mr. Disaster
Professional Gypsy

Oddometer: 3,686
Wow, great report. Glad nothing is broken. Heal quickly and keep riding!

R1150GS

Shameless Smugmug plug: Coupon vSIRpdd4Dghll

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes.
Mr. Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote