Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #31
stou OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
John, your trip to California was not as hard core as our trip in Moab but it look like a very nice trip!

Milhaus, at some place like at the end of the Porcupine where we pushed and lift the bikes, I wish I had my DRZ! We didn't made it to the single track section. After the place where we lift the bikes, we called the day off!

I'll write the White Rim report as soon as I'll have some free time!
Montreal to Moab 2008: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343166
stou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #32
stou OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Saturday May 19.

This is the day that we decided to ride the White Rim. The white Rim is the main reason for our trip to Moab. We have a friend who did it last year and we where amazed by those trails and landscape. And let me tell you something, we were not disappointed!

We leave the camping a little bit late because anyway, we decided to sleep in the White Rim. So we packed our things, got a good breakfast and headed for the 313 to begin the White Rim via the Shafer trail. When we arrived at the gate, there was nobody. So we left the $5 in the box and begin the trail.

This place is amazing. The landscape is breathtaking. When you are in the White Rim, you feel so small compare to those vast landscapes. The photos are beautiful but does not do justice to the beauty of the place.

At one point, a big Ram crossed the trail right in front of us and climbed in the rocks.

This hill was a litle bit tricky to climb. A mix of rock and vey soft sand in a curve. From the bottum of the hill, we can't see after the curve, so I choose the inside line... WRONG! There's was a big step with some rocks and I crashed right there. Fortunately, the clutch holder repair from the Porcupine crash was good enough!

We was wondering where was the camping spots In the White Rim. We stop by a Park Ranger 4x4 and asked them where are the camping spot.

PR: He said you don't have a map?
Us: We said no...
PR: They should give you a map with the camping permit. Do you have a camping permit?
Us: permit???
PR: You need a permit to camp in the White Rim!
Us: Nobody told us that. When we enter at the begining of the trail, there was nobody at the gate, we left the $5 and enter.
PR: you should stop at the Visitor center and ask for a permit.
Us: We didn't know that. Can you give us a permit?
PR: Wait a moment, I'll check with the center...
PR: No I can't give you one, it's complete for tonight!
Us: Complete!!! we only saw only a few people since a couple of hours!!!
PR: can't do anything, You must go back or complete the trail at night!
Us: Ok.... there's no way we are going back, we will finish it.

So we went off.

As the sun was starting to go down, we arrived at a small but rough hill. We had the sun right in the eyes and just at the top of the hill. I was trying to spot a line to go through on this hill but that was impossible to see. So I climb it right in the middle. It was really strange to climb this rough hill without seeing where I was going. The bike was jumping from a rock to another... and with some luck I think, I reach the top. I looked back and saw Martin and then Pat who followed me and climb the hill. They both has the same comment "Wow we didn't saw anything while climbing this hill". It was some kind of weird!

A little bit later we arrived at the Hog Back hill. On the first look, we found it a little impressive. Pat decide to go first. So we look at him climb this long big hill. After a while, Pat disapear after a curve. Martin and me thought he was at the top! But no, it was only a kind of little plateau and it continue to go up again. But a few second later he was really at the top.

I looked at Martin and asked him I go or you go? He was shaking his head and was not looking like a guy ready to go. So I went. At the bottom of the hill there was a rough curve with rocks. The back of my bike jump at the right wen I hit a big rock but I keep the throttle on. After that the bike was climbing like a tractor. The last part was more abrupt.

Once at the top, I removed my helmet to talk to Pat. But I was a little bit worried. We didn't heard the engine sound of Martin KTM's. We wait a little bit... nothing. So I decided to walked down a little bit to see if I can see Martin. Nothing... I walked down further... nothing. I started to be worried. Suddenly I saw Martin climbing the hill with a side case on his shoulder!!!

He explained to me that he crashed right at the bottom of the hill and one of the Touratech side case broke off the bike. I went down with him to help him left the bike. Pat arrived and we help Martin to start in the middle of the hill. He then went up with no other problem. Pat and me climd the hill with the side case... it was very long to walked up this hill!

At the top, Martin start to repair the side case with an axe and some rock to do some bodywork to be able to put the side case back on the bike.

After that, the trail was relatively smooth. A few time we tough about sleeping here even if we didn't had permit. But finaly, we completed the White Rim at night, around 10 or 10:30 PM.

A long but very nice day of off road riding in one of the most beautiful place I ever ride.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:50 PM   #33
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,547
You guys should be arrested...

For abusing those rented DS bikes that way...LOL! Guys...this is an utterly awesome report. Yeah, it's too bad you didn't know about the camping permit deal. White Rim is somewhat unique in that, I guess to avoid congestion and damage. It certainly would have helped to not have camping gear and luggage with you. I've done White Rim a couple of times on a KLR. I would have thought that after your Porcupine Rim adventure that y'all would have considered WR a piece of cake. You guys are tough. I'm enjoying your story immensely.
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:54 PM   #34
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,609
does are some very nice pictures, and an even bigger story.

Got more?

Damasovi
damasovi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:25 AM   #35
stou OP
Gnarly Adventurer

TNC, if I can, one day I'll go back to Moab to ride the trails with my DRZ. I think it wil be a completely different trip.

I understand the reason about controling camping on the White Rim. But that can be wise from them to install a sign at the entrance to inform people about the permit regulation.

Thanks for your comments

Damasovi, there's 3 more days of riding to report and more very good pictures and videos!

Here's a video I shooted in the White Rim:

http://video.google.fr/videoplay?doc...48573983705234

Next report for Monday April 21, Hurah Pass, Chicken Corner and Kane Creek Canyon with some ADV fellow.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:15 AM   #36
Air0ne
Adventure reader

Oddometer: 163
Always a pleasure to see your pics Stou... even if this is the second time for me ... I Know... I'm lucky

BMW F800 GS 2009
Ckeck out my ride reports

Air0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #37
stou OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks AirOne!
Old 06-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #38
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,170
Great photos and report.
That looks like some very difficult terrain you went through with those big bikes
Let's see some more!
Old 06-14-2008, 05:45 PM   #39
stou OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Monday 08/04/21

Hurrah Pass – Chicken Corner – Kane Creek canyon

Monday morning, we went to met Barak (ADV), Steve and Mike for the breakfast at McDonald at Moab. We met Barak the day before and decided to ride together on Monday. Barak is from New Mexico and he is a photographer and a guide for http://www.motodiscovery.com. Steve and Mike are from Texas. They all ride KTM 950.

So we headed for Hurrah Pass via Kane Creek road just next to the McDonald.

Hurrah Pass trail is a nice and smooth gravel road.

And then we went to Chicken corner

On our way back we stopped at the intersection of Kane Creek Canyon trail. We ate a little bit and then the guys decided to do the Kane Creek Canyon trail. I remembered from my book that this trail was rated as a difficult trail. I didn't want to push my luck with the broken clutch holder and decided not to do the Kane Creek Canyon.

So I left the guys and headed to the camping.

On my way I stopped for a burger at the McDonald. The Jerky's from our break, was not enough!

The guys went back from the Kane Creek late, around 7:00 PM I think. They where exhausted. The Kane Creek was difficult. Something like the Porcupine Trail I think.

I'll let Martin tell you about this trail a little bit later and with a small video of it.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:27 PM   #40
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,359
great report!!!

thanks, next time, we will ride together i hope, J

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:19 PM   #41
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,547
Kane Springs trail

Hey Stou...will we get a report of those guys doing Kane Springs? I've done it on a KLR and 4X4 in the past, but it can be a real Jekyl and Hyde kind of deal some years. I've seen the watering crossings almost dry sometime and running hard others. Erosion seems to change that trail too.
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:04 PM   #42
stou OP
Gnarly Adventurer

J, the next time I'll go to Colorado, I'll go later in the season to ride those nices Colorado trails. I'll let you know for sure!

TNC, I'm waiting for Martin to do the part about the Kane Creek. Since I was not part of that ride, I prefer to let Martin report this part. I'll try to prepare a small video about it on the weekend.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:52 PM   #43
petoune
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stou
TNC, I'm waiting for Martin to do the part about the Kane Creek. Since I was not part of that ride, I prefer to let Martin report this part. I'll try to prepare a small video about it on the weekend.
Martin is in the process of writing ... I'll give him a hand for formatting and photos ... Should be patient with Touring31 and computers ...

Very good ride report Stou ...

Ah yes! The video of the MOAB is finished! I can not wait to show you ...

Well! this is my first 'post' on ADV

'petoune' alias billie pour les autres forums... Il était déjà pris comme nick name!
petoune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:26 PM   #44
touring31
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
So we returned to the intersection of Kane creek canyon for a slight rest.

The beginning of the trail is fairly simple, but after a few kilometers near the river Kane we must cross the Creek for the first time. The height of the water is at the knees. You cross the Creek so many times you lose count! (more than 50) Watch out for a sudden heavy rain that can make the crossings impassible. Also watch out for quicksand.

Between each crossed the river there are several quicksand which allowed us to practice our techniques…

At about halfway we take a break while admiring the decor.

The deep canyon is beautiful from end to end but changes significantly in character from the bottom to the top end. Toward the upper end are some high rough cliff wall sections.

The major obstacle is this attention-grabbing rock section in Muleshoe Canyon. It's about 10.4 miles into the trail and contains a stair-step shelf trail bordered by a rock wall on the right and nothing but a 1,000-foot drop-off on the left.

The 2nd part, left the sandy section for a more rocky hill. We even had to raise motorcycles to cross the river.

Shortly after the KTM of Steve did not want to start; has had on the booster with a BMW. A small vengance for BMW after the towing of the Stou’s BMW by my KTM earlier this week…

The 2nd obstacle even more perilous since the level of fatigue was enough to its peak. The very steep slope with somes large rocks which we blocked the way.There is no bypass. Pat BMWGS a successful feat but Barak took the task to mount my bike…

We made the Kane creek in 5 hours approx, for a distance of 13 miles.

touring31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:55 PM   #45
Milhaus
Made in Denmark

Oddometer: 3,010
Woah guys...great trip. I have added the Kane Creek Trail to my list of must ride trails when I return to Moab in the Fall!!!