ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2009, 09:31 PM   #46
WaveHunter
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Buck Island Access

Okay, I have a question. In a couple of weeks, Me and my buddies are planning on going for ride up to Buck Island, where the rafter's put in.
I know that Low Water Bridge is out, and that Reiff Road is the other way in. But before we plan our ride up there since we are like 4 hours away, I want to know if anyone has been up there recently, if the gate is still open at the County Line and, what the road conditions are looking like after these Winter months.
Any input would be useful. It would be greatly appreciated.
WaveHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:47 PM   #47
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 2,858
You can access Reiff Road from either direction. The Highway 16 end at the low water crossing still has a legal bypass available for motorcycles and quads. The gate on the west end (at the Lake County border) is fully open. Access down to Buck Island is open to any vehicle (though it is rough in areas).

Conditions are rough between Cache Creek and the Lake County border, but it is passable by any experienced rider on just about any bike (some slower than others). That will probably change by next spring, however. If you have further questions, let me know. Lets put it this way. I could still ride my Hawk GT the entire length, though it wouldn't be nearly as fun as my Adv. or 650R....
'04 R1150RTP "cop motor, cop suspension.."
'00 XR650R Dual Sport "Lil' Mule"
'75 RL250
'01 TTR90
'01 PW50
Conti TKC80 tire swing

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.

"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:50 PM   #48
jetpoweredmonkey
Rider of the Lost Empire

Oddometer: 183
Hey guys, anyone want to comment on whether the current gate holes are big enough to stuff my Ural into?
jetpoweredmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #49
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,725
The west side will not be a problem. The east might be tight. I can't post photos here but I'll get you one of the east gate tomorrow. Then you can judge for yourself.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:20 PM   #50
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

I doubt it:

A jugged bike can make it through no problem, saddlebags may have to come off. But I don't think a rig will make it.
'75 RL250
'01 TTR90
'01 PW50
Conti TKC80 tire swing

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:57 PM   #51
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

I agree....dunno how wide the hacks are. Maybe you could tilt one side up?

Also....I've heard rumblings about closing and gating Sand Creek Rd (from Arbuckle to Capay Valley). It seems the Indian tribe is buying up some land and is concerned about tresspassers. Rather than fencing it (like every other property owner there) they may be asking the Yolo Planning Commision to close the road.

As soon as I know more and who to write to, I'll post it
Old 09-22-2009, 09:00 PM   #52
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Damn it! That's a fun road, too. What a pisser.
'75 RL250
'01 TTR90
'01 PW50
Conti TKC80 tire swing

Old 09-22-2009, 11:16 PM   #53
jetpoweredmonkey
Rider of the Lost Empire

Oddometer: 183
Thanks for the recon, guys. Maybe I will come in the west end and go down to the bridge, then turn around and go back the way I came. Thought I'd take the girl for a picnic up there by one of the little ponds along the road, it's nice in there, maybe walk up and take a look around some of the old mining site. She might not like the washed out sections from the vantage point of the padded plywood seat in the hack, though...
jetpoweredmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:30 AM   #54
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Going down to Buck Island would be my choice for a picnic spot. Be warned the BLM pit toilets are now locked there since they cannot maintain them.
'75 RL250
'01 TTR90
'01 PW50
Conti TKC80 tire swing

Old 09-23-2009, 09:00 AM   #55
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

See post #45 and click on the link for photos of the gate.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #56
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,096
I went through east to west two weeks ago on an F800GS with caribou bags on (40" wide edge to edge). I was able to get through rather easily, although there wasn't tons of spare room.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:24 PM   #57
ridepjride OP
Migrant

Oddometer: 299
West gate closed again.

West gate closed and locked. Sign says closed for the season starting October 15th.
ridepjride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:56 PM   #58
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Hey!

I was just up there also. At the gate at about one o'clock.

Yep, it's closed although a small light dirt-bike can get around the west gate on either side with some skill and maybe walking.

Dunno what YOYO county is thinking. The deal last year was that they wouldn't maintain the road but would keep the west gate open. This year it's closed...odd.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:19 PM   #59
ridepjride OP
Migrant

Oddometer: 299
I came through early, got to the gate around 10. Knoxville road is such a blast after deer season. May have seen you on 128 on my way home?

I was tempted to lay the bike down and drag it under the gate, but my friend with a shiny bike talked me out of it. I don't have the skill to ride the KLR around either side of the gate. About a year ago I tried the downhill side while riding alone and found I couldn't make the 180 degree turn at the bottom, so turned around and barely made it back to the top. A man's gotta know his limitations.

Takin' good care of the RT.
ridepjride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #60
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

CR41 closure threat

It looks like the Yocha Dehe Nation wants to close the public out of the Yolo County Road 41 (Rumsey to Arbuckle) and keep it for themselves:

Yocha Dehe Nation wants CR-41 for itself
Recreationalists, some locals want to keep road open; Yolo County abandoned road in March
By MELODY STONE
Created: 12/04/2009 02:30:10 AM PST

Gage Hutchens looks down County Road 41, which was abandoned by the county in March and which the Yocha Dehe Wintun Nation wants to purchase. Hutchens, who lives along CR-41, said the tribe has taken better care of the land next to the road than the previous owners did. (Melody Stone/Democrat)
Hikers, bikers, and residents of Rumsey are opposing the Yocha Dehe Wintun Nation's attempt to privatize County Road 41.

Yocha Dehe wants to protect their land, which abuts the road, and maintain it now that the county has abandoned it.

The issue come before the County Planning Commission Dec. 10 and what they decide goes before the Board of Supervisors.

The tribe states it wants to protect the land from trespassers and vandals, while citizens want to keep the road public and open for pedestrian and some vehicle use.

CR-41 runs from Highway 16 near Rumsey to Arbuckle in Colusa County. A large portion of the road is dirt, and closed in the winter months because the soft clay deteriorates quickly. Every year the county
County Road 41 is mostly dirt after this sign, making vehicle traffic difficult, but many do so anyway, especially in the summer months, which was when the road was in its best shape thanks to county maintenance. The county gave up maintaining the road in March. (Melody Stone/Democrat)
grated the road and reopens it to traffic for the summer months, until March, when the county decided to no longer maintain the road due to budget constraints.

Gage Hutchens lives on the road in question. He's the only house after the road closure.

The property down the road belongs to Yocha DeHe. Hutchens said the previous owners didn't maintain or take good care of the land. Since the tribe purchased the land, it's been better maintained and clear signage indicating private property can be seen all along the road.

Prior to taking action to privatize the road, Yocha Dehe approached the landowners along CR-41. Hutchens said the landowners were all interested in closing the road to vehicle traffic.

Michelle LaPena, an
attorney with the Yocha Dehe Wintun Nation, said pedestrians and cars on the unmaintained road pose a liability to the tribe and the tribe wants to keep its sacred sites safe.

"The tribe's concern is if someone comes on to the property and destorys the cultural sites," LaPena said. "They've had a lot of vandalizing in the past."

Hutchens said he understands both sides: He's Cherokee.

He said the road needs to be maintained. Driving up the road, after a few rains, portions of the road are already worn away and will soon become impassible. Large cracks appear in multiple places up the grade, after a few rains. Hutchens said this summer the road was completely smooth and now it's already showing wear.

"The road is very fragile and has to be maintained on a yearly basis," Hutchens said. "If the county doesn't maintain the road - the road will become impassible."

Rumsey resident Frankie Gonsalves is not happy about the possibly privatization of CR-41. He enjoys taking the historic road in the summer all the way to Arbuckle and would hate to see it closed year-round.

Gonsalves said he would be willing to contribute his own money to a fund to help keep the road open.

LaPena said the tribe understands residents' and hikers' resistance to loosing access to the road. LaPena said many native tribes in California lost many trails when land was taken from them and became privatized; they know the sentimental value land holds and know the feeling of having it taken from them.

"It's ironic that the tribe's (having) trouble protecting their aboriginal land that they've now reclaimed," LaPena said.

'75 RL250
'01 TTR90
'01 PW50
Conti TKC80 tire swing