ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2010, 09:58 PM   #76
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckett
There are two ways around!

Who need knobbies?

I almost detoured up Reiff road today, on my way up to Mendo NF. I did discover that there are still a lot of snowed in roads up there. . . .

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:03 PM   #77
luckett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by boney
Where's the other one?

luckett screwed with this post 04-26-2010 at 12:11 PM
luckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #78
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckett

Rode my 950 west-to-east on that "work around" One of the more harrier things I've done.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:02 PM   #79
AngryShawn
Punchbowl Pooper

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by kengray
I know this is an older post, but I was wondering if it's possible to ride Knoxville OHV area? Gates open / closed ? I have a map of the area, but have never ridden there. Any recent ride reports from there? thanks
I've ridden there enough to know my way around and have documented the trails here (along with some other maps): https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BxQ...Zjk0NDUz&hl=en
D-36 AMA #196F - Supermoto USA #47 - BITD #379 - MCMA #430
AngryShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #80
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,863
Nice maps, thanks for the research
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #81
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Just rode Rieff/Rayhouse West to East today. The gate on the west side was closed but NOT locked, swung it open and closed it behind me (like I was trained to do by my dairyfarmer grandad).

It was raining off-and-on so the ride up to the gate loaded the knobbies with mud but they cleaned off nicely on the rocky sections. The bit from the top "4-way" interesction down to Hwy l6 was dryer....just damp. Erosion ruts are a bit worse than last year but not as bad as I would have expected. If people keep using this route, I think it will stay passable for several more years.

The low-water bridge is dry and water level is about 12 inches below the pavement. As noted there is a fallen tree over the trail about a mile west of Cache Creek. There is enough room to get a big bike with windscreen/fairing through carefully.

Went south on 16 to Rd 41 (Sand Creek Rd) which is also open. The gravel stream bed about 1/2 mile from the gate is dry and easier to get across than last time I was through.

Took the slab from Arbuckle south to the homestead trying to race the rain clouds - partially sucessful

Wild flowers (if you're into that kinda thing) are everywhere.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #82
steelerfan1069
bugkiller

Oddometer: 50
Did Reiff Rd. on Monday, gate was wide open, despite the sign the states "Gate at county line closed permanently". Very little water on some of the low water bridges, Cache Creek bridge was dry. Followed that up with Bear Creek Rd. off of Hwy. 20. Nice ride. Everything is blooming!
steelerfan1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:24 PM   #83
jetpoweredmonkey
Rider of the Lost Empire

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106
Went south on 16 to Rd 41 (Sand Creek Rd) which is also open. The gravel stream bed about 1/2 mile from the gate is dry and easier to get across than last time I was through.
Slightly off topic, but relevant - there is what appears to be a great big loop possible incorporating Reiff Road. When you get to the Berryessa-Knoxville end of Reiff, turn south and head for the lake, and there is a dirt road appropriately named East Side Road that runs along the east side of the lake. There is a big BLM sign at the beginning of this road stating no OHV use ahead, local traffic only, etc. It appears that this road might climb up to a fire lookout and then back down to Capay Valley, linking up with Highway 16 in the form of County Road 78A.

Every time I go out to Reiff I've had a buddy in tow who has to get home to the wife ASAP, so I haven't had a chance to try this one. Next time I'm going to tell him to find his own way back! Anyone else make it through that way?
Old 04-28-2010, 08:41 PM   #84
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

I've gone a ways down that road, but I didn't see it going anywhere. . . It would be great if it could be done though. I didn't spend much time scouting it out.

ktm
old bmw
others
Old 04-28-2010, 10:33 PM   #85
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

I've been down that road to the end but didn't see any OBVIOUS road heading east up and over the ridge.

I have an old map that shows County Road 78 or 78A going from the Capay side west up to the radio/tele towers up on the ridge. I would have to be there to service the equipment but usually those roads have locked gates.

I'll have to give it a better look next time.

Talking with the owners of VeloCity in Winters some time ago. They said that there was some movement afoot to complete this loop (with a multi-use trail whatever that means) from east side road. The only two possiblilties would be to have it go over the top to Capay OR (and this would be very cool) to have it link back up with Hwy 128 by coming over Monticello Dam.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:30 AM   #86
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,080
I've explored some of the roads from Capay Valley west up into the hills. They have all had locked gates. There used to be a fire lookout up where the radio towers are. I don't know from which side that area was accessed from, but I'm pretty sure it's an exclusive club to get up there.

I highly doubt there will be any access across Monticello Dam. Both from a security standpoint and need. The east shore of Berryessa is easily accessible from Highway 128, just east of the bridge across Cache Creek downstream of the dam....if you have a key. Check out Google Earth, you'll see lots of roads and trails up there. It is almost all private property on the eastern shore, north of Monticello Dam (a little landlocked BLM thrown in for good measure). I don't see public access happening at any time in the future.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:57 AM   #87
Jenn
praise seitan!

Oddometer: 725
Any update on Reiff?

I got snow/sleet/hail/rain last weekend on the Sheetiron... and heard that there was actually still some water on Knoxville Berryessa Rd...
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:33 PM   #88
little_twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
I am planning on heading out that way monday or tuesday. Where exactly is the turn off for reiff rd? I have looked every time i've been out there, but always manage to miss it. On the map it looks like it is just after the tunnel if your headed east on morgan valley rd.
little_twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:54 PM   #89
jetpoweredmonkey
Rider of the Lost Empire

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_twin
I am planning on heading out that way monday or tuesday. Where exactly is the turn off for reiff rd? I have looked every time i've been out there, but always manage to miss it. On the map it looks like it is just after the tunnel if your headed east on morgan valley rd.
If you're talking about the equipment overpass tunnel (what the heck is that place out there - some kind of mine maybe - I'm always going too fast to stop and look!), that's about five miles east of Reiff.

There is a road on the map that leads to Reiff at the spot you mention, but it is gated off at both ends as far as I can remember. The real start of the road is hard to miss, it's not some tiny little hole in the fence, there is a rather wide paved apron and road sign.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:06 PM   #90
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Yeah, there's a sign there saying that Rieff road is closed at the yolo county line, 4 miles ahead (or something like that). Keep your eyes peeled, you'll see it.

ktm
old bmw
others