User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 04:18 AM   #31
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,896
Is there anywhere that does cam bearing kits,
remember reading somewhere that these kits fix bearing surface problems when they have been scored,
unsure whether it's a slipper bearing or a needle bearing used in the kit,
I know that it has to be done by an engineering workshop to machine out the damaged area,
any pointers?
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #32
booter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
FREE '79 XR500 (not the XL street version) Come & pick it up

"FREE / FREE / FREE" YOU COME PICK IT UP!

I have an old '79 xr500 'twin laydown shocks + 23" fr wheel' sitting in a backyard in Bishop, Ca. contact me if you want to come and pick it up "FREE" you just have to come and get the bike yourself.

The last time it 'ran it ran fine/one easy kick to fire it up' it needs the mid-pipe/silencer can, it needs cleaning up, but when it runs it's sweet!

My health went Bad 5+years ago, so I haven't ridden it since then, everything's straight, never been crashed! it has been down (what bike ridden off-road hasn't)?

Bishop is in Inyo County 300+miles North of Southern Calif. Hwy#395 all the way out of Mojave.

If someone has the time + $$'s it's a Great Project Bike, It's an XR-offroad Only! but years ago my brother had it 'plated' if you're interested contact me well ahead of time - so I can find the actual license plate.
booter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #33
mtn500 OP
bush jumper

Oddometer: 301
There does exist a company that can install a needle bearing, in California I think.

I've had the same issue for some time now. I'm in the process of rebuilding the engine using parts from a spare engine that I picked up from a fellow inmate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
Is there anywhere that does cam bearing kits,
remember reading somewhere that these kits fix bearing surface problems when they have been scored,
unsure whether it's a slipper bearing or a needle bearing used in the kit,
I know that it has to be done by an engineering workshop to machine out the damaged area,
any pointers?
Cheers
Baza

If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.

When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you may not see, this you are forbidden to know", the end result is tyranny and oppression no matter how holy the motives.

mtn500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #34
magconpres
n00b goes here...

Oddometer: 63
My '82

Almost done. Rideable as she is, but there's a few more things to do.
Build thread here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t=xl500r+build

2000 Yam PW50, 2002 Honda XR70, 1987 Kaw KDX80
1982 Honda XL500R
magconpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #35
STARSKEY
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 339
Thumb Well lookie here:

Given this morning's purchase:

I think I shall be on this forum a lot in the near future.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:39 AM   #36
STARSKEY
Wandering Soul

Anyone found a good luggage setup for this bike? Looks like dirtbagz doesn't make a bag frame for this thing.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:36 AM   #37
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,274
ammo cans?

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #38
STARSKEY
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by booter View Post
"FREE / FREE / FREE" YOU COME PICK IT UP!

I have an old '79 xr500 'twin laydown shocks + 23" fr wheel' sitting in a backyard in Bishop, Ca. contact me if you want to come and pick it up "FREE" you just have to come and get the bike yourself.

The last time it 'ran it ran fine/one easy kick to fire it up' it needs the mid-pipe/silencer can, it needs cleaning up, but when it runs it's sweet!

My health went Bad 5+years ago, so I haven't ridden it since then, everything's straight, never been crashed! it has been down (what bike ridden off-road hasn't)?

Bishop is in Inyo County 300+miles North of Southern Calif. Hwy#395 all the way out of Mojave.

If someone has the time + $$'s it's a Great Project Bike, It's an XR-offroad Only! but years ago my brother had it 'plated' if you're interested contact me well ahead of time - so I can find the actual license plate.
That's a nice offer. If you weren't 8.5 hours away from me, I think I'd take you up on it.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #39
snake89
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Anybody have a spare 82 model tank thats worth fixing ? I want to put one on my 83 xr500, alter the subframe a little & make a street scrambler out of it. More like the desert sleds of the 60s. Already wired up a brake light so its street legal enough where i live. If someone wants to part with one that wont require a pound of bondo to repair please contact me at snakezrx@hotmail.com thanks
Old 11-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #40
frdbronco8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Dads bike

I have been working on fixing up my Dads ol 1980 XL500, its still in really good shape but was leaking oil from about everywhere. Stumbled across this picture at my perants house the other day. Probably about 1985..... Thats me on the front, people would probably freak out nowadays!

frdbronco8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:25 AM   #41
redprimo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake89 View Post
Anybody have a spare 82 model tank thats worth fixing ? I want to put one on my 83 xr500, alter the subframe a little & make a street scrambler out of it. More like the desert sleds of the 60s. Already wired up a brake light so its street legal enough where i live. If someone wants to part with one that wont require a pound of bondo to repair please contact me at snakezrx@hotmail.com thanks
I have an 80 xl500s and when I think of 60' era desert sleds the tank on my bike does not come to mind. Here is a link to an 80's era desert sled with what looks to me like an elsinore tank. https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...xJ2_CaqaVAtoqg
Anther option would be a tank from a 305 scrambler.

Dual high pipes, one on each side would also be a nice touch.
redprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:44 AM   #42
Rensen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Oldschool
Rensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #43
snake89
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Well, everybodys got different taste. I just like the look of a 82 tank, i have some others in mind as well. Dual pipes are being considered and gonna go with a 19 inch front wheel. Need to get a 18 inch on the rear and run trials tires. Gonna be fun on the street or dirt.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #44
mtn500 OP
bush jumper

Oddometer: 301
Megacycle Cams

Has anyone used the services of Megacycle Cams (http://www.megacyclecams.com) to install a needle bearing cam on a ruined cylinder head? I've got a smoked cylinder head and cover and would like to repair it for a spare...

Thanks

If... the machine of government... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.

When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you may not see, this you are forbidden to know", the end result is tyranny and oppression no matter how holy the motives.

mtn500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #45
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn500 View Post
Has anyone used the services of Megacycle Cams (http://www.megacyclecams.com) to install a needle bearing cam on a ruined cylinder head? I've got a smoked cylinder head and cover and would like to repair it for a spare...

Thanks
I've never had them do a needle bearing conversion but I have bought several performance cams and hardwelded rockers from them over the years. They've provided excellent service.