ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
grin OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5
2007 BMW registration from NV to CA

Does anybody know if there will be a problem buying a used BMW with 3500 miles in Nevada and registering it in California?
grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
Synisalo
Adventure wannabe

Oddometer: 103
Nah

You'll pay whatever taxes they feel like charging you for a used vehicle, and you'll have to do what every CA deems for inspection. other then that, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Bought vehicles out of state a few times here on the east coast, and its been the same thing.

---------------------------------------------------

I often wonder why I am still alive with all the dumb things I have done... Then logic gets the better of me, and I wonder why I am not dead.
Synisalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
Fundamental
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
I believe you have to have 7500 miles on a used vehicle to bring it into California if you are a current resident of the State, unless the vehicle is CA emissions approved.
Fundamental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
nostatic
i drank what?!?

Oddometer: 409
With less than 7500 miles you'll likely get hassled by DMV unless you can clearly show that it is a 50-state bike. From what I've heard it is luck of the draw. If you can point to the 50-state designation on the bike frame, you might be ok. Just depends on if you get the person on a good or bad day...
Old 09-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #5
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Laugh

This isn't a flame on anyone in particular, but, how many times do we need to beat this dead horse?

ALL late model BMWs are 50 state legal. This makes registration a breeze as none of the 7500 mile rules apply.

Do your homework nonetheless. Know EXACTLY where all the emissions and VIN tags are BEFORE you ever get to the DMV. Fill out the paperwork BEFORE you go.

Wash the bike BEFORE you go. Be patient, kind, and accommodating. There is no crap shoot in the dark. Make their job easy, be polite, and know the facts before you get there.

Here's the web page so you can do your homework BEFORE you get there -

LINKY

and

LINKY

I registered a used 2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure with 1800 miles on it. I was, literally, in AND out in less than one hour with all paperwork, inspections, and registration DONE!!! There is no mystery, no magic, and no crap shoot, and no need to have to go to the CHP for an inspection IF you do your homework BEFORE you get there AND you are decent and polite.

Taxes will need to be paid based on what your purchase price listed on the paperwork you filled out BEFORE you got to the DMV says. Make sure it matches your bill of sale.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
Andoman
Captain

Oddometer: 54
Bring it in via the East Coast...

Sounds like you need a 4000 mi road trip just to be sure!
Andoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:37 PM   #7
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andoman
Sounds like you need a 4000 mi road trip just to be sure!

I'm out. You can lead a horse to water . . . .
Old 09-14-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,590
Make absolutely, positively sure that the vin # matches the title EXACTLY.

I'll bet you need to have it at least inspected to verify that in the bike's new state of residence. And if it doesn't match, you've got a long-distance problem.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #9
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,849
Moved to the regional forums.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:12 AM   #10
crtahoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
You will have to have it inspected. Mak sure you have the stock pipe on it. When I had my inspection they were looking for a non-stock pipe.
crtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:21 PM   #11
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by crtahoe
You will have to have it inspected. Mak sure you have the stock pipe on it. When I had my inspection they were looking for a non-stock pipe.
What they are looking for is the California emissions clarification. You can take a vehicle to the DMV Verification window without an exhaust if you want. The vehicle doesn't even have to run or be complete, doesn't even need wheels. You can trailer a vehicle and have it verified on the trailer, it doesn't need lights horn steering nothing. If you want to register a vehicle and all the DOT EPA Emissions 'stickers' are in order you are OK. You don't even need the emissions equipment JUST THE STICKER. The DMV verifier checks the engine number (on a motorcycle-never a car) and matches it to the engine number on the title you have. Then he checks the VIN number on the frame (car OR motorcycle) and matches it to the VIN number on the tilte you have. Depending on the year of the vehicle he will then check the mileage and emissions stickers. They will not check the vehicle for road worthiness or ANY equipment for that matter. The rules are quite simple, look them up, copy them, know them, quote them, show them. It has no bearing on the verifiers attitude that day, know the rules and use them to your advantage. You simply CANNOT register a 49 state smog version vehicle in California until it is at 7500 miles or above (or I beleive but do your own research-it is of a certain age). You can replace the speedo with a digital one or another one (if you are so inclined). Do your research and buy your vehicles accordingly or be prepared to do some 'modifications' to come in compliance.
Your mileage may vary. I used to do this stuff for a living but retired in Feb 2004 so am not completely up to date.

the famous james
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #12
grin OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5
Thank you everyone for your help!!
grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:53 PM   #13
papaj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
CA registration

One last comment, make sure it still has the evaporative canister on it. Some owners remove the canister which will cause it to fail the CA emissions.
papaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:01 PM   #14
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,853
I bought my HP2 in New Mexico and registered it in CA.

Take tittle and Bill of Sale to DMV. Tell them you are registering an out of state vehicle when you make your appointment.

When your at DMV they'll do the paperwork, take your money and then an inspector will examine the bike for the 50 state emissions sticker and to verify the VIN number.

After the inspection you'll get your plates and temp registration. New title and registration follows in the mail.

Cheers,

http://www.blackswanmoto.com
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:24 PM   #15
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaj
One last comment, make sure it still has the evaporative canister on it. Some owners remove the canister which will cause it to fail the CA emissions.

No. Read the above comments regarding inspection of equipment/road worthiness. Mine did NOT have it and there was no problem whatsoever.

Additionally, CA does not currently do emissions tests on motorcycles.